Gilbert's first pedicure

ruffledfeathers

Aug 23, 2012
Media
NJ
Parrots
Gilbert Oliver, Blue Crown Conure; Georgie, Sun Conure (2/8/01-8/8/12) RIP little girl; Percy, budgie 1993-1999. RIP Pepito-spanish timbrado canary
So i caved in and called the Bird Hosptial for Gilbert's nails. I spent years doing Georgie's nails, but for some reason, as easy going as Gilbert is, he is completely freaked out if i try to clip his nails.

We are working to get him used to the sight of the clipper, showing it to him regularly, but in the meantime, i have scratches all over me from his enormous nails, so we are getting them done! :)

Georgie took a little time to get totally at ease with clipping (her first couple times, i went to the Bird Hospital for it too).

Anyhow, i felt like a failure having to have a vet cut his nails, but he said most people have him do them and only the minority do their own. Hmm

OP
ruffledfeathers

ruffledfeathers

Aug 23, 2012
Media
NJ
Parrots
Gilbert Oliver, Blue Crown Conure; Georgie, Sun Conure (2/8/01-8/8/12) RIP little girl; Percy, budgie 1993-1999. RIP Pepito-spanish timbrado canary
Does it really work that well? He has one pumice perch but not in the cage. I didn't think they worked that well. Maybe after he is clipped we'll give that a try. It was never an issue since Georgie didn't mind. Thanks!

momto3

Mar 19, 2012
My Roscoe has a pumice perch and I don't think it is making a dent in his nail length. I think if I had two or three in his cage it might help, but just one doesn't seem to matter.

Grenage

Jun 1, 2012
Portsmouth, UK.
Parrots
Aizen: YS-GCC
We've got a pumice perch, which is constantly in use. It doesn't reduce the length (in my case), but it does turn beaks and talons into super-sharp weapons of death.

OP
ruffledfeathers

ruffledfeathers

Aug 23, 2012
Media
NJ
Parrots
LOL "super sharp weapons of death"......

Greenwing

Mar 8, 2013
Parrots
GW , BG , DYH , YN, CAG
Weapons of death..I can relate.. Lucy needs a pedicure badly..every time she steps up on my forearm her nails pierce my skin ...

What gets me is my other birds rarely if ever require a nail trim...

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
Lol I guess it's different depending in the birds lol. Rosie used to have a cement perch that made her nails sharper D: Make sure the safety pumice perch is the appropriate size.

Rosie loves her pumice pech. Before people always asked if I had a kitten scratching me lol now she never scratches me with her nails

OP
ruffledfeathers

ruffledfeathers

Aug 23, 2012
Media
NJ
Parrots
YES, right now my hands look like i have a kitten. They sting when i wash them too.

OP
ruffledfeathers

ruffledfeathers

Aug 23, 2012
Media
NJ
Parrots
Gilbert got his nails done this morning and it's awesome!! He can climb all over me with no scratches. He was so good. The vet said "he is so laid back" and i said that's his general demeanor. I then snuck him in a local restaurant while i got take out and let him have a bite of my zucchini. Been a pretty eventful day for the little guy.

Gizmomania

Banned
Banned
Aug 25, 2012
San Diego
Parrots
Duskies: Gizmo & Niko, hatched 3/12 & 5/12; pineapple GCC: Skittles, 5/10/13; Pan Am: Harley, 1/27/13; CAG: Maalik, 7/27/13; Eclectus: Ziggy, 4/4/04; BHC: Walter 6 y; baby Jardine's: Bogart-May!
Aw, what a good boy, Gilbert!

I can't wait until I get my first BCC this summer! They seem like such phenomenal conures.

OP
ruffledfeathers

ruffledfeathers

Aug 23, 2012
Media
NJ
Parrots
yes, if there are all like Gilbert, they really are phenomenal. I can't say how happy I am with him. He is such a joy!

suncon97

Jul 31, 2011
Parrots
Pearl-African Grey-Hatched Apr. 28,2011
We've got a pumice perch, which is constantly in use. It doesn't reduce the length (in my case), but it does turn beaks and talons into super-sharp weapons of death.

This made me laugh! I understand what you're saying, but with my bird it's wood that turns her beak into a weapon of death. She's a CAG so not exactly a small beak.

Pearl has a 2 cement perches and it keeps her nails down pretty well.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2013
I live in Northwest Ohio.
Parrots
Coby is a Green Wing Macaw. He is seven years old. :0)
Coby acts the same way when you get near him with toenail clippers. He has been like that since I got him. He lunges and tries to bite the clippers and does everything he can to get away from them. I finally figured out that I could use a pedipaws on his toenails instead of clipping them. I take the plastic guard off and use it kind of like a Dremel and file his toenails. This is also how I file his beak. It's a lot safer than using an actual Dremel though because it doesn't take much pressure to stop it from turning so you don't really have to worry so much about that.

Most Reactions

Latest posts