Green Cheek Conure With Fleas?

aquariusrising

Aug 27, 2015
Washington
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure, Budgie, Lovebird
Our small chihuahua gets a topical flea oil once a month but this month instead of taking him to the vet I decided to buy my own. I thought it was the same stuff but apparently something went wrong because he was covered with fleas within two weeks. I guess the only thing keeping them off of him was the kind from the vet.

I took him to the vet today and he has had a flea bath but she advised me not to put the oil on him until it had been a month because she doesn't want too much in his blood stream. She sent me home with some anyway, not sure what i'm going to do about that because the other kind obviously didn't do anything but I am currently washing all of my sheets and going to try and carpet clean the floors. What is safe to use in the carpet cleaner? Before I got birds I used bleach and pine sol but of course I can't do that now so I haven't cleaned the carpet since getting them.

I also need to know if green cheeks can get fleas and if so what do I do there :eek:
Can't give her a flea bath of course. I don't THINK my budgie can get them but not sure about my conure. I feel like if my dog has flea repellent on him the fleas will be looking for another animal. Also I would like to bug bomb my house but how long would I have to board my bird if I did that? I'm afraid it would stress her out because she has had many owners and I haven't had her long.

Thanks

WilliamKenyon

Aug 21, 2015
Media
Parrots
Mango: Male cockatiel, Ruby: Female eclectus
I have never herd of birds getting fleas. but birds can get a variation called mites. there are many kinds of mites birds can get from feather mites to red mites but they are not transmitted by other animals like dogs and cats. I will leave a link on them below. As for what you could use to sanitize your home would be a stem cleaner as they are completely safe for birds and kill germs and other nasties. Anyway i would not worry to much about him getting fleas, good luck. :D

Bird Mite or Mange Infections

MyFlock

Apr 15, 2015
Parrots
Conures, 2 Red bellied parrots lovebirds.
Birds don't get fleas, if they did mine would have fleas as well since I've been battling fleas after my in laws brought they're flea bitten dog over here. They do get mites however.

ruffledfeathers

Aug 23, 2012
Media
NJ
Parrots
Gilbert Oliver, Blue Crown Conure; Georgie, Sun Conure (2/8/01-8/8/12) RIP little girl; Percy, budgie 1993-1999. RIP Pepito-spanish timbrado canary
I have had issues where my Chihuahuas got fleas before and have asked the vet if they can bother my bird at all. He said Gilbert would be fine.

I don't like using the topicals because my dogs started having a reaction. This summer I saw ONE flea on one of my dogs and put fipronil based topical on them all. We were all good.

So you are saying you have carpeting you will need to clean? I think a super good vacuuming and tearing apart all bedding and running it through the wash should be good.

I also started applying a granular flea killer in my yard this year.

Hate fleas!! Good luck.

tculverjames

Jul 21, 2023
Parrots
just looking
Our small chihuahua gets a topical flea oil once a month but this month instead of taking him to the vet I decided to buy my own. I thought it was the same stuff but apparently something went wrong because he was covered with fleas within two weeks. I guess the only thing keeping them off of him was the kind from the vet.

I took him to the vet today and he has had a flea bath but she advised me not to put the oil on him until it had been a month because she doesn't want too much in his blood stream. She sent me home with some anyway, not sure what i'm going to do about that because the other kind obviously didn't do anything but I am currently washing all of my sheets and going to try and carpet clean the floors. What is safe to use in the carpet cleaner? Before I got birds I used bleach and pine sol but of course I can't do that now so I haven't cleaned the carpet since getting them.

I also need to know if green cheeks can get fleas and if so what do I do there :eek:
Can't give her a flea bath of course. I don't THINK my budgie can get them but not sure about my conure. I feel like if my dog has flea repellent on him the fleas will be looking for another animal. Also I would like to bug bomb my house but how long would I have to board my bird if I did that? I'm afraid it would stress her out because she has had many owners and I haven't had her long.

Thanks
A friend of mine can supply me with these!

I am seriously considering the raw scene,but have some doubts as to what is safe or not!

Currently feeding wet/dry,could i feed raw evening,and wet/dry morning?

If i gave an "average size raw rabbit" including heart,liver,lung would this be a good meal,my dog weighs 25ish kg.

Also would a pigeon be a good meal?

Do i freeze both before i feed?

Thanks for replies.

LoveOfallAnimals

Jul 17, 2022
Texas
Parrots
Eclectus - Female - Tequila
Red-Lored Amazon - Male - Tito
Albino Indian Ringneck - Female - Tia
As some one else pointed out food grade diatomaceous earth can be sprinkled on the dog bed, your carpet and even your bed if needed. If you sprinkle it every where your dog lays it will kill the fleas. It is safe for you and your dog. Even if he eats it. I ended up with fleas during covid quarantine and diatomaceous earth was a life changer.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
As some one else pointed out food grade diatomaceous earth can be sprinkled on the dog bed, your carpet and even your bed if needed. If you sprinkle it every where your dog lays it will kill the fleas. It is safe for you and your dog. Even if he eats it. I ended up with fleas during covid quarantine and diatomaceous earth was a life changer.
It seems to me that fleas will infest any warm blooded creature they can hop onto. I don't have dogs or cats (bad allergies) but I moved into a house once that was had a bad flea infestation and those nasty things would hop from the floor to my legs for a blood meal despite me having no fur. We got rid of them but I can't recall how. Personally I would be concerned about them biting my birds. Why wouldn't they? I don't think they're very fussy. Good luck using diatomaceous earth- I've heard good things about it. However, I don't know where you would get "food grade". Is it ever used for human consumption? I don't think it's safe taken internally because the silica shells of diatoms can cause mucus membrane damage. I work at Lowe's and we sell large bags of the Garden Safe brand which is not used in pools. It's used specifically for insects, fleas, ticks, slugs and other garden vermin. Would this product be safe indoors around birds to get rid of fleas?

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
It seems to me that fleas will infest any warm blooded creature they can hop onto. I don't have dogs or cats (bad allergies) but I moved into a house once that was had a bad flea infestation and those nasty things would hop from the floor to my legs for a blood meal despite me having no fur. We got rid of them but I can't recall how. Personally I would be concerned about them biting my birds. Why wouldn't they? I don't think they're very fussy. Good luck using diatomaceous earth- I've heard good things about it. However, I don't know where you would get "food grade". Is it ever used for human consumption? I don't think it's safe taken internally because the silica shells of diatoms can cause mucus membrane damage. I work at Lowe's and we sell large bags of the Garden Safe brand which is not used in pools. It's used specifically for insects, fleas, ticks, slugs and other garden vermin. Would this product be safe indoors around birds to get rid of fleas?
My curiosity gote do I just read up on diatomaceous earth and food grade or not, it's not "proven" to help human health when taken internally and you must NEVER inhale the powder or it can really mess up your lungs, and your birdies' lungs probably even moreso. The silica diatom shells can injure delicate air sacs. Pool grade is definitely used only in pool and aquarium filters (perhaps in home water filters to remove impurities). Harris (no relation to any parrot products) makes "food grade" but does not recommend internal use. It's used a lot of crawling insect control around grain storage because it isn't a "toxin" or a "poison" (hence why they call it food grade), though you still need to use precautions primarily for respiratory reasons. You can buy Harris brand "food grade" at Tractor Supply stores. Good luck getting rid of those nasty fleas!

LoveOfallAnimals

Jul 17, 2022
Texas
Parrots
Eclectus - Female - Tequila
Red-Lored Amazon - Male - Tito
Albino Indian Ringneck - Female - Tia
My curiosity gote do I just read up on diatomaceous earth and food grade or not, it's not "proven" to help human health when taken internally and you must NEVER inhale the powder or it can really mess up your lungs, and your birdies' lungs probably even moreso. The silica diatom shells can injure delicate air sacs. Pool grade is definitely used only in pool and aquarium filters (perhaps in home water filters to remove impurities). Harris (no relation to any parrot products) makes "food grade" but does not recommend internal use. It's used a lot of crawling insect control around grain storage because it isn't a "toxin" or a "poison" (hence why they call it food grade), though you still need to use precautions primarily for respiratory reasons. You can buy Harris brand "food grade" at Tractor Supply stores. Good luck getting rid of those nasty fleas!
I have used it and while it is a powder it was not like baby powder and floating in the air. Just like any powdery substance such as flour it would not be good for humans, dogs, or birds to be inhaling it. However, if you research further you will find many people including vets will us food grade diatomaceous earth as a wormer. By no means was I saying don't be careful around your birds. But it is safe to rub in a dogs fur just being careful around eyes and nose. Should the dog consume some again it is safe. It is the safest most effective way I know to get rid of fleas and other creepy crawlies. Amazon sells food grade de.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I have used it and while it is a powder it was not like baby powder and floating in the air. Just like any powdery substance such as flour it would not be good for humans, dogs, or birds to be inhaling it. However, if you research further you will find many people including vets will us food grade diatomaceous earth as a wormer. By no means was I saying don't be careful around your birds. But it is safe to rub in a dogs fur just being careful around eyes and nose. Should the dog consume some again it is safe. It is the safest most effective way I know to get rid of fleas and other creepy crawlies. Amazon sells food grade de.
I did read about using it as a dewormer in livestock but it was said to not be as effective as chemical dewormers. Some people mix a teaspoon in water and drink it to relieve constipation but WebMD says it's not proven to be a health benefit. Good for exfoliating skin and in toothpaste. Since it's not a poison it's relatively safe for animals as long as they don't get it in their eyes and they don't inhale a lot of it. Birds' respiratory systems are much more delicate than mammals' so you definitely don't want birdie to inhale any! If you look at a picture of it under a microscope you'll see all the sharp edges of the broken diatom shells- fascinating.

Most Reactions

Latest posts