Grey or Eclectus

MissyandMary

Jan 21, 2013
Denver
Parrots
I have two Lovebirds
Hi Everyone,
I am looking into a new bird to add to my family. I have done some reading on-line about the different birds and have narrowed it down to a Grey or an Eclectus. I went into my local bird shop and the shop owner said she has just the bird for me. A 7 month old Grey came in that is on consignment. The last owner's partner was jealous of the bird I guess... I don't know. This Grey is very sweet and hand tamed. I held her and spent a little time with her. She let me pet her too.

I am drawn to Eclectus too.

I am curious about what you all think. Of course I am little worried about taking home a Grey that has been abandoned. But something also draws me to this.
I should say my bird experience is some what limited. I have two lovebirds that I adopted last year. It has been tough since they were not happy about their owner giving them up. We are now getting along better.

I am interested in an intelligent bird that flocks with the whole family. I want the bird to be affectionate and interested in being around us. I have heard that Grey's tend to be one person birds.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Kate

wwendy104

Dec 30, 2012
Fort Wayne, IN
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw
African Grey
Conure
Pick the Grey pick the Grey. They are probably my favorite and if you spend allot of time together they can take a very active part in your family. I don't have a whole lot of experience with Electus but they are pretty.

Good luck I think either would be a good family bird really.

Joeyx

Mar 15, 2012
Parrots
Birdie (BFA), Cloud (Lovebird)
i'd go with the grey, and there's already one there for you. ;)

Blue

Aug 16, 2012
portland, or
Parrots
Odin - CAG
Salty- Hahn's Macaw
Greenie - Eclectus
Lexi- Eclectus
I have both, one grey and two eclectus, and it's really a hard choice

my grey is louder, lots of whistles and noises when he wants attention, he talks when he wants, he definitely picked me but he's ok with my husband and daughter. He's loves being with me.

my male ekkie talks really well but doesn't usually make a lot of loud noises, he picked my husband but likes me as well, he loves attention

the female we've only had for a couple days, she's hasn't made much noise, but she's a nice bird

lotosha

Jun 29, 2012
Parrots
A pair of cockatiels
And pair of African Greys
You wrote that you would like to have a bird that flocks with the whole family, from my experience with AG this is not the right bird. My AG and my husband do not get well one with another. It could be because my husband not into birds that much and AG feels it.
But from other perspectives it's a great bird, who needs a lot of attention though.

KevinT

Oct 11, 2012
If possible, you might want to take the opportunity to have the other memebers of your family meet and interact with the Grey before you decide. If the Grey is tame and friendly with everyone, it would be hard for me to pass it up in the hope of finding a better option.

It would be no surprise if any bird you eventually decide on ends up preferring one member of the family over everyone else. In my limited experience, this is pretty common. But as long as the bird can be handled by all, you might be able to provide the perfect home.

Good luck!

Kevin

Most Reactions

Latest posts