Had a horrible chilli moment!!

Brodie

Jul 25, 2012
Media
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
Male Eclectus- Oscar and Female Eclectus- Scarlet
About three days ago I gave Scarlet some of her beloved chillies, about twenty mins after she had eaten them I went over to her, have her some cuddles and a few quick kisses on the beak before sitting down to watch a movie. By the time I sat down I had a horrible burning sensation on my lips, I noticed this because I had a sip of my water an locked my lips afterwards. Oh right. Stupid me. I have hot chillies on my mouth. Oh Fantastic.
I drank milk, so much damn milk. Then I noticed the cut on my hand that she just stood on, that was starting to burn aswell. Oh my goddddd I have chilli in my cut too. Milk in that maybe? It didn't REALY help lol.
So I didn't watch the movie for another hour because I was running around the house frantically trying to find a way to stop the burning! I have done it before, but none have been this extreme ever! My lips were so dry afterwards lol, and we almost ran out of milk!
So basically scarlet is sad because I haven't given her any chillies yet because I'm afraid of them. Lol. What am I gonna do? I always forget, or sometimes even a day after I give them to her she still has it on her beak, feet and feathers! I hate it, it's horrible. I sat there for the next hour rubbing my shirt on my lips lol. Was the only thing that seemed to work. Till I stopped.
My advice- shower your bird everytime you give them chillies lol...

OolovebirdiesoO

Jan 6, 2013
Birmingham, UK
Parrots
Eastern Rosella
Mealy Rosella
Peachfaced Lovebirds
Black masked Lovebird
I gave my Rosella, Rainbow a bit of a chilli earlier and she gave me a kiss. My lips were burning for quite a while. I can't believe how much she was enjoying that chilli whilst I was burning :20:

I've forgot I've given the birds chilli 3 times now and ended up with my face burning. Twice I got in my eyes. I cannot be trusted with chillies ahah :eek: Believe me I tried washing it off my hands.

OOwl

Oct 12, 2010
Texas
Parrots
Rosebreasted Cockatoo, Congo Grey, MRH Amazon, Lovebird
You have my compassion. I have given hot peppers to my Amazon, who LOVES chilies (the hotter the better), and forgotten about about the oil on her feet and beak and received those fiery kisses. I think you can use plastic gloves and de-seed them (use a spoon and just scrape out the white veins and the seeds) and give them just the outer part of the pepper. They still get the flavor without all the heat.

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
I once cut up like 10 hot chilli peppers for Rosie's chop mix and my hands burned for days D: I even went as far as to wash my hands with Listerine mouth wash which didn't help.

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
Give up on the cow juice, while it contains casein, yogurt or yogurt drinks are much better.....

Lemonade, limeade or orange juice will be much better, as will tomato juice or if you have V8 juice in OZ, it's good too.....you can also use an orange, lemon or lime slice to rub the parrot's beak, to help neutralize your problem.....

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
Give up on the cow juice, while it contains casein, yogurt or yogurt drinks are much better.....

Lemonade, limeade or orange juice will be much better, as will tomato juice or if you have V8 juice in OZ, it's good too.....you can also use an orange, lemon or lime slice to rub the parrot's beak, to help neutralize your problem.....
When I eat spicy(ish) Indian foods I drink a mango Lassi :)

ann

Feb 18, 2011
USA
Parrots
1 nanday conure Black Jack, 1 Brotogeris parakeet Whiff, 1 ring neck dove Eliza, and 6 society finches (3 are tame). RIP my parent pairs of societies and my little gouldian finches
Goodness that must have burned :O. I love spicy food and I heard eating starch or carbs helps. Scarlet sounds so sweet though :)

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
It should be "one bitten twice shy" when will you learn LoL

When giving Mishka chilli, I place a red plastic cup near his cage, to remind me not to kiss him.... works like a charm

Hope the burning has subsided by now

t1933.gif

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
ha, ha, ha...maybe I need to find another forum.....having to place colored reminders about.....I didn't realize this forum was full of so many forgetful people ! ! !

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
ha, ha, ha...maybe I need to find another forum.....having to place colored reminders about.....I didn't realize this forum was full of so many forgetful people ! ! !

When your day is chockablock, so many things to do and remember you have to do something. :)

We are humans after all !!!!! ;)

Have you never forgotten something ever? :eek:

OP
Brodie

Brodie

Jul 25, 2012
Media
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
Oh I forget things all the time, too much runnin around in my head, too many things to do, animals to feed and pay attention too lol. The plastic cup sounds like the best idea, but keeping that from scarlet wouldn't work so great at all lol. She would be straight over to that cup! Haha! She chews everything now!
And ripping the inside of the chilli would suck for scarlet, she loves the inside its her fav bit :( haha
Had to give her some tonight because she would not stop screaming, she has been going since 8am. Normally I will just ignore the screaming, but today we had massive family issues and I just couldn't handle it anymore, and have in. She got her chillis. Now she's screaming again and she is covered in the dark for bed! It's 10pm. ARRGH. Sometimes.. -_-
I don't even know.. Haha

Echo

Dec 7, 2009
USA
Parrots
Green Cheek Conures, Crimson Conures, CAG, Pionus, Budgies, Goffin Cockatoo
I like the red cup idea!!
However, I am a whimp and I have to admit that after a few of these burny kisses I received (even though well intentioned) I now offer the dried kind. I know they really don't enjoy them as much but I'm afraid of the real ones :).....I don't do well with spicy AT ALL.

I may try giving them the least spicy ones and remember with the red cup!!!.......

ConureCrazy

Jun 13, 2012
Media
California
Parrots
Senegal: Oliver ~~
Yellow-Sided GCC's: Bella and Zora ~~
R.I.P Tweeters the Cockatiel<3
Oh, I forget ALL the time!! Orange juice helps though, as does milk. :)

drlisaort

Nov 3, 2012
Hollywood, Florida
Parrots
Oliver, Male (SI) Eclectus
Oh my gosh Brodi, you gave me the best laugh in days! I'm sitting in the lobby of the hotel, waiting for my cab to the airport, and I burst out loud laughing. Lots of people staring at me at this very moment. I guess it's no hot peppers for Oliver!

OP
Brodie

Brodie

Jul 25, 2012
Media
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
Haha! Glad my misfortunes give you guys a bit of a giggle :p lol
It was horrible though, I hate hot things! Haha

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
I'm laughing pretty hard, too!

Good thing you didn't have to go potty after getting chilli on your hand. THAT would have been REALLY painful. :54:

Most Reactions