hello all! considering getting a cinnamon green cheeked conure and i need your advice

OP
taylor_

taylor_

Jul 2, 2012
Mpls, MN
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure named Arthur!
i appreciate the input on happy huts but we're straying from topic a little bit here guys! good first pet or not?

lexx510

Mar 13, 2011
Bay Area, CA
Parrots
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure
i appreciate the input on happy huts but we're straying from topic a little bit here guys! good first pet or not?

That may depend on your schedule.

How much out-of-cage quality time are you prepared to spend with your bird daily? Green cheeks have emotional needs of a 2 year-old child, and require a lot of one-on-one interaction on a daily basis.

Can you handle a bird who is free willed? While we can train them to perform all kinds of tricks, we can't train them to NOT bite. They are nippy by nature and will bite if you can't take the hint, and proceed to pet them or ask them to step up when they're not willing.

wenz2712

Banned
Banned
Nov 16, 2011
Media

How much out-of-cage quality time are you prepared to spend with your bird daily? Green cheeks have emotional needs of a 2 year-old child, and require a lot of one-on-one interaction on a daily basis.

Can you handle a bird who is free willed? While we can train them to perform all kinds of tricks, we can't train them to NOT bite. They are nippy by nature and will bite if you can't take the hint, and proceed to pet them or ask them to step up when they're not willing.

That goes for any Bird really!

A Conure, Senegal or Pionus would definately be a good choice as a first Bird as opposed to an Amazon, Grey, or too etc.

Providing you have plenty of Toys in the Cage while you are not at Home, they will quite happily amuse themselves:)

thermodynamic

Apr 13, 2012
Stillwater, MN
Parrots
Rosie = Rescued Pineapple GCC,
Rusty = bought Cinnamon GCC,
Scooter = bought Normal GCC,
Tybbi MacGuyver = Rescued Blue Crown Conure
I've seen numerous threads about members losing their birds due to a happy hut. I'm completely with cdog on this one. Happy Huts also encourage nesting behavior. So if you have a sole female parrot, there's risk of egg binding issues as well as other emotional problems related to hormones.

That retort is convincing me to remove mine.

Most of mine are males - egg issue notwithstanding, if one removed the straps that allow the hut to hang from the cage hut, would the hut be safe to have standing on the cage floor? Assuming the birds hang out down there?

I wish there was an easier way to give them a hidey hole that wouldn't as potentially dangerous...

OP
taylor_

taylor_

Jul 2, 2012
Mpls, MN
Parrots

either myself or my boyfriend is home at some point all day. he works a 9-5 job and i usually work night shifts. but anytime we're home, i'm 100% sure that bird will be out and hanging out with us, spending quality time.

i understand that conures are nippy but i also have read that although you can train them to not bite, you can easily distract them. such as teaching them to step up to distract them from nibbling your fingers.

cdog

Feb 20, 2012
Newbury Park, CA
Parrots
Sully-2 year old cinnamon and Bella-3 year old normal
breeding pair of gcc, Scooter & BeeBee-Sully and Bella's normal son's, Rosey- Bella and Sully's cinnamon daughter, Ella & Sunny-American budgies
They are very nippy and love to try and bite your freckles off. Step up works but then they just bite the finger that they are standing on. And you can't make any noise no matter how much it hurts because they think the noise is fun so they keep trying to make you make that sound, which means they just keep biting you.

OP
taylor_

taylor_

Jul 2, 2012
Mpls, MN
Parrots

i understand that conures are nippy but i also have read that although you can train them to not bite, you can easily distract them. such as teaching them to step up to distract them from nibbling your fingers.

i meant **can't train them to not bite.

Most Reactions