Help me please!! Taming.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
I honestly hope you are not expecting miracles to happen within 2 hours. :rolleyes:

It may take MONTHS for them to come around, for them to trust you, or even show interest in you.

My honest suggestion is that if you can't commit to your birds, perhaps try and find a home for them where they will be loved for who they are. :)

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
My money's on the journeyman, I think he'll be successful , with the coaching from here. Keep checking in man, use this site for inspiration and good thoughts. Talk to the birds, they understand a lot more then you think they do.

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
My money's on the journeyman, I think he'll be successful , with the coaching from here. Keep checking in man, use this site for inspiration and good thoughts. Talk to the birds, they understand a lot more then you think they do.

Let's hope you are right 'cause for a beginner he sure pressed all the red buttons eh?

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Good to hear journeyman. I do think that out of those species, the parent raised Rosella will have the most difficult time settling down in a home environment. Any of the grass parakeets (besides budgies) are pretty hard to tame even when hand raised. My mom has 2 species of Aussie grass parakeets and same thing, it took her a few YEARS to be able to have them step up. The Bourke's will step up to anyone but still prefers not being handled. The Princess keet will only step up to my mom for a brief moment to get to his cage. He is very wild as far as being touched, but he likes to come near me when I visit and talk and engage that way. This bird was handfed, but still even after years that is just the extent of his tameness. He IS tame, as in he doesn't freak out with humans, he just won't tolerate touching or getting too close to his body. With lots of consistency and time, you might get them all "a bit" tamer, but I wouldn't expect too much and I wouldn't get disappointed if they don't ever do exactly what you wish. I just told you about my mom's keets. She loves those boys and spoils them rotten and has ways of interacting with them even though they don't get on her and cuddle.

I believe that talking to them (like you would a dog or any animal) is beneficial. Even though we're a completely different species from birds, they still can sense vibes, emotion, and attempts at friendship from a different species of animal. Birds are incredibly intelligent too, and WILL pick up what your spoken words mean. 2 of my birds have learned commands without having to touch them. You'd be surprised with a little gentle consistency and talking to them, how birds will learn voice commands, especially along with hand gestures. When they do, either hand them a small treat, or if they won't take it, I've found that verbal praise is effective instead. Best of luck!

OP
journeyman

journeyman

Apr 2, 2016
Europe
Parrots
Cockatiel, Rosella, Budgie
Good to hear journeyman. I do think that out of those species, the parent raised Rosella will have the most difficult time settling down in a home environment. Any of the grass parakeets (besides budgies) are pretty hard to tame even when hand raised. My mom has 2 species of Aussie grass parakeets and same thing, it took her a few YEARS to be able to have them step up. The Bourke's will step up to anyone but still prefers not being handled. The Princess keet will only step up to my mom for a brief moment to get to his cage. He is very wild as far as being touched, but he likes to come near me when I visit and talk and engage that way. This bird was handfed, but still even after years that is just the extent of his tameness. He IS tame, as in he doesn't freak out with humans, he just won't tolerate touching or getting too close to his body. With lots of consistency and time, you might get them all "a bit" tamer, but I wouldn't expect too much and I wouldn't get disappointed if they don't ever do exactly what you wish. I just told you about my mom's keets. She loves those boys and spoils them rotten and has ways of interacting with them even though they don't get on her and cuddle.

I believe that talking to them (like you would a dog or any animal) is beneficial. Even though we're a completely different species from birds, they still can sense vibes, emotion, and attempts at friendship from a different species of animal. Birds are incredibly intelligent too, and WILL pick up what your spoken words mean. 2 of my birds have learned commands without having to touch them. You'd be surprised with a little gentle consistency and talking to them, how birds will learn voice commands, especially along with hand gestures. When they do, either hand them a small treat, or if they won't take it, I've found that verbal praise is effective instead. Best of luck!

i will give my best

Mamaof3

Jan 25, 2016
Queens, NY
Parrots
Twix-Female Parakeet, Twizzle-male Parakeet, foster mommy to my mom's galah- Rosey
Taming birds take time and patience. If you don't have either try to find them a good home. I have two parakeets that are happy and always outside their cages, playing and what not. But they won't come to be because they are a bonded pair. But I'll tell you they come and look for me and chirp up a storm if they see me or hear my voice. If one of them needs my help I gently tell that bird to step up and it does and we exchange kisses. They don't want to come to me but when they're with me the kisses don't stop.

Keep us updated with the progress. Remember patience is key. And don't get upset or angry with yourself for not taming them. Your doing it now. Your birds will pick up on your feeling and it's just going to set you back in training.

OP
journeyman

journeyman

Apr 2, 2016
Europe
Parrots
Keep us updated with the progress.
Will do.

How are things going Journeyman ?
Its too early to say things are going good but im giving my absolute best and i spend as much time as i can with them, we listen music every day when i get back from school. It looks like i havent made any progress past 3 days but im sure i did.

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
Keep us updated with the progress.
Will do.

How are things going Journeyman ?

Its too early to say things are going good but im giving my absolute best and i spend as much time as i can with them, we listen music every day when i get back from school. It looks like i havent made any progress past 3 days but im sure i did.

That's good to hear, keep going and don't dishearten if sometimes it feels like two steps forward and one step back, it's a marathon not a sprint OK. The rewards are fantastic. :)

OP
journeyman

journeyman

Apr 2, 2016
Europe
Parrots
Update:
Today was a shower day. They enjoyed it.

Spent 2hrs total with them.

Found out my budgie likes to listen to Drake :cool:

Christinenc2000

Oct 8, 2014
North Carolina
Parrots
Big Bird _ Blue & Gold Macaw
Update:
Today was a shower day. They enjoyed it.

Spent 2hrs total with them.

Found out my budgie likes to listen to Drake :cool:

LOL Sounds like you are doing a fine job. Keep us updated. Shower day is a big step. I have had my Macaw for over a year and he still hates showers.

Mariar

May 9, 2014
Clearwater Florida but grew up in Wisconsin
Parrots
Doolie,Yellow nape amazon(r.i.p.03/10/15)
Sissy,severe macaw(rescued on 03-16-15) chirpy,sparrow(beak less) jack,Jill,chase,fiona,finch, and tiger,sulfer crested(rescued 04/15/20
So cool to read that you are taking the time to be with your birds...even shower time is valuable. We are here to help, don't forget that. Hey why not share some pix of your feathered family. Keep us posted, with any update or concern.

OP
journeyman

journeyman

Apr 2, 2016
Europe
Parrots
It is a very very loud Shower time. Yelling , wing flapping throwing water on me. Its every entertaining . To others lol

:D :D

Btw i was wondering where do you buy vegetables for your parrots? Here they spray everything with pesticides and other anti-bug stuff..

Christinenc2000

Oct 8, 2014
North Carolina
Parrots
Big Bird _ Blue & Gold Macaw
It is a very very loud Shower time. Yelling , wing flapping throwing water on me. Its every entertaining . To others lol

:D :D

Btw i was wondering where do you buy vegetables for your parrots? Here they spray everything with pesticides and other anti-bug stuff..

I think they spray everywhere. I buy at the local Grocery store UNTIL local farmers start growing. I also have friends that have gardens when the time is right. I buy from them or they just give to me.

Nuts and treats I buy from Nuts.com Great company.

I also make sure to wash everything. Little Vinegar and water as a rinse .

Most Reactions