Help me please!! Taming.

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Yes, you should definitely take him to an avian vet. Things could spiral downhill fast.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

OP
journeyman

journeyman

Apr 2, 2016
Europe
Parrots
Cockatiel, Rosella, Budgie
You need to take your bird to a Avian and get him checked asap .

Yes, you should definitely take him to an avian vet. Things could spiral downhill fast.

"Avian" doesnt exist in my city and vets are not healing parrots only dogs and bigger animals.

Also false alarm my budgie is good i just overreacted a bit because he was weird.

Mariar

May 9, 2014
Clearwater Florida but grew up in Wisconsin
Parrots
Doolie,Yellow nape amazon(r.i.p.03/10/15)
Sissy,severe macaw(rescued on 03-16-15) chirpy,sparrow(beak less) jack,Jill,chase,fiona,finch, and tiger,sulfer crested(rescued 04/15/20
Oooh thank goodness your baby is ok..so where do u take a bird if it's sick? What city do u live in? There's only a few avian vets in my area,,,and I live in a big city...good luck.

EdwardH

Dec 23, 2012
Sydney
Parrots
Eclectus
cockatiel
red rump
If the budgie is allowing you to touch its stomach, hold a treat in one hand and your finger between the treat and bird. This way the bird must step onto your finger.
Rosellas are not known for being overly fond of people. Usually the best you can expect is that it might eat from your hand. I have only ever heard of one instance where a Rosella was actually friendly with a person.

Astorch

Mar 12, 2016
Media
Parrots
1 parakeet
I have parakeet that I got as a baby, and I USED to clip her wings, now she won't step up, but she'll sit on my shoulder all day , won't go on my hand, she associates my hand with getting clipped. Be nice and calm and try to hand feed millet your bird , birds don't say no to millet. It will take time and patience. Good luck.

Mariar

May 9, 2014
Clearwater Florida but grew up in Wisconsin
Parrots
Doolie,Yellow nape amazon(r.i.p.03/10/15)
Sissy,severe macaw(rescued on 03-16-15) chirpy,sparrow(beak less) jack,Jill,chase,fiona,finch, and tiger,sulfer crested(rescued 04/15/20
It may be Europe that you live and it may be a small town, but maybe...just maybe someone is on this forum that can help you.like I said we want to help. Keep us updated please

Last edited:

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Yes, please keep updating us, and thank you for checking in today :).

Keep remembering that Christine said it took her close to a YEAR with her bird to see the changes she sees now. With some birds (and especially the species you have) it will just take a lot of time. A LOT. I hope you are keeping your expectations realistic too.

My mom has similar species to you, a Bourke's and Princess of Wales, and it took the Princess over a year to step up and although he's not 'wild', he still doesn't tolerate hands on him 10 years later. There is just a limit to tameness with certain species or individuals. It doesn't make them any less lovable. My budgie is hand fed, but she still doesn't really like being touched. My Ruppell's parrot won't tolerate being touched. These birds are tame, and my Ruppell's is bonded to me. He'll jump on my shoulder or back when HE wants to. Still I can't touch him. If it happens to never change, I'm okay with that.

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Hello this is my first post on this forum.

I need help with taming my birds.

Ive got 3 birds, Cockatiel, budgie and rosella. I got them back in 2011.
The problem is, now is 2016 and i havent made any contact with them, they are wild, i just refill them water and food every day thats it.

I wanna tame them but i dont know how, i need help with that. Otherwise im gonna set them free.

Also, dont reccomend me any books for taming birds or something like that... I dont have time for books. (U probably wonder "he wanna tame his birds but dont have time to read a book, how come he got time for birds?") welll i dont give a s#it about stupid books.

Well, my goodness! It's always a pleasure to meet a brand new member, especially when they threaten to set birds free in their very first post!

I beg you, please do not set these birds free, their chances of surviving are nonexistent.

I won't bother to ask if books are all you could care less about, I won't ask what you are doing with three birds you've had no interest in for the past several years. I will strongly suggest you take the time to find an appropriate home for the birds.

i wont set them free obv, just the fact that i havent made any progress with them makes me angry

why did you get them in the first place, if you don't have "time" for them?

Christinenc2000

Oct 8, 2014
North Carolina
Parrots
Big Bird _ Blue & Gold Macaw
Well, my goodness! It's always a pleasure to meet a brand new member, especially when they threaten to set birds free in their very first post!

I beg you, please do not set these birds free, their chances of surviving are nonexistent.

I won't bother to ask if books are all you could care less about, I won't ask what you are doing with three birds you've had no interest in for the past several years. I will strongly suggest you take the time to find an appropriate home for the birds.

i wont set them free obv, just the fact that i havent made any progress with them makes me angry

why did you get them in the first place, if you don't have "time" for them?

He has been working on it. I think OP was just frustrated.

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon

Spent 2hrs with them today. 0% success with rosella, she is wild, doesnt bite but just run away. Budgie is friendly, i made a little progress with him yay. Cockatiel is same as rosella.
Didnt talk to them tho.
Do i really need to talk to them?

I'd definitely try to get set up so that the cages are in your usual space at home.
Cant place them anywhere else but on hallway.

Tell me...how would YOU feel...if some one "wanted to be your friend" and they didn't talk to you? Would YOU trust that person?? I doubt it very much. Birds are not stupid creatures,they can sense this kind of thing.

Jim

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon

Journeyman..after reading all your posts,it seems like you are making progress! It can take sometime..and patients...but that very first time one of those guys steps onto your finger you will forget all about the time it took. you will be :D :D :D :D :D ! Trust the people in this awesome forum!

Jim

BIRDIGIRL

Jan 25, 2016
Mayo Ireland
Parrots
Rodney Blue Fronted Amazon
RIP Mr Biggles White Fronted Amazon , Elsa and Little Nellow the Lutino Budgies, Lady Primrose a Pied Budgie and English Budgies Houdini Popeye and Olive
Happy Birthday journeyman hope you havr a Wonderful day and a great year ahead bonding with your fids :)

OP
journeyman

journeyman

Apr 2, 2016
Europe
Parrots
HAPPY BIRTHDAYjourneyman

Happy Birthday journeyman hope you havr a Wonderful day and a great year ahead bonding with your fids :)

Quick update: i haven't been posting for a while because i was busy with school n other stuff, birds are healthy, weather is good here so i shower them more often, they love showers. Didn't succeed with taming but who cares, i still like them. Wont quit tho, what matters is that they are healthy. :yellow1: :greenyellow: :57:

This vid is from a while ago: [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w20BM_8ij08&feature=youtu.be"]YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Glad to hear you won't be quitting on them, Journeyman. You may wind up taming them, yet!

Your video is currently set on private, though. You'll need to change your preferences on YouTube for us to watch.

And happy belated birthday!

OP
journeyman

journeyman

Apr 2, 2016
Europe
Parrots
Glad to hear you won't be quitting on them, Journeyman. You may wind up taming them, yet!

Your video is currently set on private, though. You'll need to change your preferences on YouTube for us to watch.

And happy belated birthday!

Thanks, vid is now changed to public

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
Yes belated Happy Birthday.

Your birds are lovely and fun to watch. They seem so very happy playing together which could be the sticking point to taming. Why not for now just enjoy them playing with each other. To be a parront it isn't necessary for them to want to climb all over you, be cuddled etc. So much pleasure can be had from just watching them, taking care of them and ensuring that they are having a good life. Why not try teaching them some whistles, something to get them to notice you and think hey what's that? They are precious little ones for sure.

Most Reactions