Help me please!! Taming.

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
It is a very very loud Shower time. Yelling , wing flapping throwing water on me. Its every entertaining . To others lol

:D :D

Btw i was wondering where do you buy vegetables for your parrots? Here they spray everything with pesticides and other anti-bug stuff..

I think they spray everywhere. I buy at the local Grocery store UNTIL local farmers start growing. I also have friends that have gardens when the time is right. I buy from them or they just give to me.

Nuts and treats I buy from Nuts.com Great company.

I also make sure to wash everything. Little Vinegar and water as a rinse .

Yes as Christinenc2000 says it's important to wash everything thoroughly even produce that says it has been pre washed IMO. :)

OP
journeyman

journeyman

Apr 2, 2016
Europe
Parrots
Cockatiel, Rosella, Budgie
I will buy frozen veggie mix and then cook it? Is that good?

Btw pics as promised:
Couldnt take better pics cuz cam lense is not working good

The Most dangerous parrots in the hood, dont mess w/ them

du5jxgS.jpg

Kiss kiss

ftkstYZ.jpg

shy

XH0V5Yu.jpg

Last edited:

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Wonderful pics thanks. Definitely the most dangerous! LOL

Whether fresh or frozen produce, look at what you are buying, the same way you select produce for yourself. It should be fine a lot of us here use at least some frozen produce. Happy cooking!

Christinenc2000

Oct 8, 2014
North Carolina
Parrots
Big Bird _ Blue & Gold Macaw
They are very pretty. No wonder you are hanging in there trying to tame them. I think they are sweet looking . They also look healthy

OP
journeyman

journeyman

Apr 2, 2016
Europe
Parrots

Whether fresh or frozen produce, look at what you are buying, the same way you select produce for yourself. It should be fine a lot of us here use at least some frozen produce. Happy cooking!

They are very pretty. No wonder you are hanging in there trying to tame them. I think they are sweet looking . They also look healthy

thanks,

little update:

little budgie let me pet him but not for long, and cockatiel nd budgie dont wanna eat vegetables, rosella only ate them.

Christinenc2000

Oct 8, 2014
North Carolina
Parrots

thanks,

little update:

little budgie let me pet him but not for long, and cockatiel nd budgie dont wanna eat vegetables, rosella only ate them.

Are you chopping them up really fine or in chunks ? Might have to play around with how they will like it . Warm , cold :)

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.

thanks,

little update:

Have you perfected the size of the vegetables to ensure that it is appealing to them, small chopped, mashed up etc? If you have cracked this then sprinkle something they will eat very sparingly ie few seeds, some crumbs - anything to get them to have to poke about in it. Hopefully they wil get a taste this way?

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.

thanks,

little update:

Are you chopping them up really fine or in chunks ? Might have to play around with how they will like it . Warm , cold :)

Sorry Christine, thread wasnt updated LOL

OP
journeyman

journeyman

Apr 2, 2016
Europe
Parrots

Have you perfected the size of the vegetables to ensure that it is appealing to them, small chopped, mashed up etc? If you have cracked this then sprinkle something they will eat very sparingly ie few seeds, some crumbs - anything to get them to have to poke about in it. Hopefully they wil get a taste this way?

In the package veggies are already cut in pieces, i served them mashed up with seeds. Anyways i got around 400g left so i dont mind experimenting around, will cut them even smaller tomorrow

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Journeyman, thanks for the photos and update! Your birds are all beauties! The photos are adorable. I wish my budgies were that friendly to my cockatiel.

Another trick that sometimes works with little beaks is a little shredded carrot, bell pepper, apple added to your veggies. A drop or two of melted coconut oil stirred in a couple times a week might encourage them too. Keep trying, they'll get the hang of it.

OP
journeyman

journeyman

Apr 2, 2016
Europe
Parrots
Another trick that sometimes works with little beaks is a little shredded carrot, bell pepper, apple added to your veggies. A drop or two of melted coconut oil stirred in a couple times a week might encourage them too. Keep trying, they'll get the hang of it.

thanks for the tips,

update: this weekend i spent lots of time w/ them, didnt count, weather was good too so i took them out for a shower. Budgie lets me pet him but not for too long like i said b4, i tried to gently push my finger against his stomach so he would get on my finger but i didnt succeed. I have no progress w/ cockatiel & rosella. I have hope for cockatiel but not for rosella, rosella is way too scared, i open her cage and she goes crazy, didnt even put my hand inside.

Christinenc2000

Oct 8, 2014
North Carolina
Parrots
It took me a long time with my Macaw. He was a rescue. In fact this week is the first time he climbed in my lap and just sat there for a long time. And I have had him for a year and a half . Take what they will give and anymore is a gift :)

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
It took me a long time with my Macaw. He was a rescue. In fact this week is the first time he climbed in my lap and just sat there for a long time. And I have had him for a year and a half . Take what they will give and anymore is a gift :)

I agree with after being consistent for some time, what Christine said above, to take what they are willing to give, and anything more that may surprise you is a gift.

If the budgie at least lets you touch him, he is already partially tame, so you have a head start on him :). I think in time you can get the Rosella to accept human presence, but from my experience and knowledge of Australian parakeets, I wouldn't be shocked if he never gets "tame" as far as what we think of as tame.

Keep up the good work :)!

Christinenc2000

Oct 8, 2014
North Carolina
Parrots
Glad to see you sticking with it. Is the Rosella still scared ? Maybe using food for a bribe would help .
yeh, very scared, food thing doesnt work

Ok not food but a treat. I know with my Bird I can pull out the peanut butter jar and that bird will do ANYTHING for a taste.

I' have not had a little bird so not sure what treat they would like. Maybe someone else can post and tell you .

OP
journeyman

journeyman

Apr 2, 2016
Europe
Parrots
Ok not food but a treat. I know with my Bird I can pull out the peanut butter jar and that bird will do ANYTHING for a taste.

I' have not had a little bird so not sure what treat they would like. Maybe someone else can post and tell you .

Ok so today i took my parrots out because it was very nice weather. I kept them outside for about 1hr and a half. After i brought them inside i watched a movie/chill didnt pay attention to them. After the movie finished i went to bathroom and on the way i noticed my budgie is doing weird thing with this beak (like he's eating but theres nothing in his mouth so he just open/close his beak and move head up/down fast like on loop) I thought his brain has some glitch or something, and his feathers are all fluffed but only on the head, like he's not able to straighten them and hes eyes are sleepy, closed for 2-3 secs then open then again etc...same symptoms my 1st parrot had before he passed away.

tl:dr i think my budige is sick

Most Reactions