Help,My white bellie hates men

dollibear

Apr 20, 2011
I adopted a 5 year old white bellie, he loves me and my girls. He didn't like my husband when he went to see him in the beginning. The lady that owned him before said that he didn't like her husband. But after a few days here he warmed up to my husband. He could take him out of his cage and do anything with him. After one month he did a 360. He now hates him and any man that comes in my house. He will even jump off his perch to attack any man. If I am holding him and any man walks past me, my white bellie will bite me real hard. Last week he bit me so hard because my husband walked past that the blood was dripping all down my hand. It's very hard to hold him and be worried about any male walking near me. I don't no what to do. My husband is ok if he doesn't like him. He just takes out my sun conure. But I don't like being bit everytime any man walks near me. I tell him no. But he doesn't seem to be in the right frame of mind when it is happening. As soon as the male gets past he is fine again and sweet to me. I don't want to give him up, but I also don't want to spend my life being bitten every time my husband or son in laws walk in my house. Help please.

BHCowner

Oct 28, 2010
Parrots
Neo: Black headed Caique
I adopted a 5 year old white bellie, he loves me and my girls. He didn't like my husband when he went to see him in the beginning. The lady that owned him before said that he didn't like her husband. But after a few days here he warmed up to my husband. He could take him out of his cage and do anything with him. After one month he did a 360. He now hates him and any man that comes in my house. He will even jump off his perch to attack any man. If I am holding him and any man walks past me, my white bellie will bite me real hard. Last week he bit me so hard because my husband walked past that the blood was dripping all down my hand. It's very hard to hold him and be worried about any male walking near me. I don't no what to do. My husband is ok if he doesn't like him. He just takes out my sun conure. But I don't like being bit everytime any man walks near me. I tell him no. But he doesn't seem to be in the right frame of mind when it is happening. As soon as the male gets past he is fine again and sweet to me. I don't want to give him up, but I also don't want to spend my life being bitten every time my husband or son in laws walk in my house. Help please.

Sorry to hear that your struggling with your bird. I find that when my caique gets into a bad mood then there really is no stopping it. If he is being stubborn then he will listen and respect the fact i will put him away, and stops.

I wish i could be of more help but at this moment my caique is in a foul mood and wont let me near him. He bit my face earlier after climbing up on my shoulder for no reason and now is still the same in his cage 3 hours later.

Hopefully someone can come in a give you some advice, difficult for me as i dont have this issue, he doesnt like new people at all but wont attack me because they are there.

If i have any thoughts i will post them up.

thebirdnerd

Dec 28, 2010
Parrots
Whitefaced Pied Male Tiel- official greeter at the Rainbow Bridge, forever in our hearts,
Turquoise Mutation IRN,
Congo African Grey- please come home to us,
Blue mutation IRN
Unfortunately caiques can be aggressive at times. I would suggest not handling him at all when any men are around. There are many bird behaviorists that specialize in situations like yours. I would suggest Barbara Heidenreich. I have worked with many caiques over the years and have found them to be one of the most unpredictable species, in fact my worst bite was from a black-headed caique. I hope everything works out.

MeldiaForever

Jul 20, 2011
I think that almost all breeds of animals tend to like women better, some perticular pets more than others. My dog will not aproch men unless they offer a treat or the dog already knows them. If you hold the bird on your arm and let the man aproch with a treat he or she may grow out of it after a while. If he doesn't theres nothing you can realy do. my dog grew out of it but there is a chance your fid won't.

Pedro

Dec 15, 2010
Australia
Parrots
2 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 6 GCC'S, 2 Crimson Bellie Conures, 9 Sun Conures, 2 Major Mitchells, 12 Eclectus parrots of various ages, 2 BF Amazons, 2 Hahn's Macaw's, 1 Red Tail Black Too
I had 2 sun conures that were the same, didn't matter who walked into our home according to those 2 it was a no go zone. We thought it was funny but our visitors didn't think so. We would have to cage them when we had visitors.

I do know that sometimes this can be a learned behavior. My Quaker was the sweetest little guy until one day he started to get a bit aggressive with hubby. I laughed so much & the Quaker got himself so excited with all the commotion going on when i tried to get him off my hubby the little bugger bit the crap out of me. Everything settled once i put him back in his cage, but after that i didn't trust him with anyone but with me.

Some handy info in the link below.

CPS 1999 - Managing Parrot Behavior: Behaviour Problems and the Future of Companion Parrots by Liz Wilson

Most Reactions

Latest posts