Help With Vet

ParkersMom

Jan 18, 2013
Nashville TN
Parrots
Parker male BF Amazon hatched 5/2/2012
Charlie unsexed BF Amazon hatched 1994?
Juno Female BH Caique Hatched 6-3-2013
so...i took Keiko to the vet( same one I took Parker to) I have only taken each of them once...She is one of 3 avian vets in the area...I like her okay...she seems relaxed with the birds and is very knowledgeable...my concern is that Keiko needs a beak and nail trim...BUT...she wants to anesthetize her in order to do it...she says it will be less stressful...i'm not sure I am comfortable with that...I called the other 2 vets in the area and they both said they could do it with out having to put her under...one is super expensive the other very reasonable...but much further away...but in order to trim her up he requires a wellness exam which is totally understandable however I just paid 150 for a wellness and some other stuff at the vet I already took her to...what do you guys think...I wish my regular vet saw birds lol...life would be so much easier

plax

Banned
Banned
Jun 29, 2012
United States
Parrots
'Jack' (Blue & Gold),
'Maynard' (Military),
'Zaffer' (Hyacinth),
'Salsa' (Green-wing)
Personally, I would NOT allow her to be anesthetized for a beak and nail trim. There is always the risk that a bird may not come out of anesthesia. That risk makes it very much not worth allowing for such a simple and non life-threatening need.

OP
ParkersMom

ParkersMom

Jan 18, 2013
Nashville TN
Parrots
Parker male BF Amazon hatched 5/2/2012
Charlie unsexed BF Amazon hatched 1994?
Juno Female BH Caique Hatched 6-3-2013
thats kinda what I thought... thanks Plax

plax

Banned
Banned
Jun 29, 2012
United States
Parrots
'Jack' (Blue & Gold),
'Maynard' (Military),
'Zaffer' (Hyacinth),
'Salsa' (Green-wing)
You're most welcome :)

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
I just messaged you to a highly recommanded vet but he is very expensive!!! You can take her to petsmart at 100 oaks, banfield would do it for a lot less for beak and nail trim. Probably cost you around $30? Otherwise Dr. McDonald at the bird fair at Nashville fair grounds would do a lot less but I think he puts them under which I do not like. I've been doing it myself with a help from a friend cause all the vets near by me that I liked kept quitting. There's one lady I really like as my birds liked her but she's not working anywhere at the moment.

goalerjones

Oct 24, 2011
Parrots
Hahn's macaw, RIP George, Jenday Conure
Anesthesia is an absolute last resort for a dangerously stressed bird. The bird would seize and die from stress kind of thing.

Just tell her "thank you, but I prefer it done without". My vet techs also teaches me how to do the minor maintenance and upkeep things myself. If there isn't a reasonably priced alternative in the area perhaps they could have you participate in the grooming so you can get "hands on" training.

If this isn't going to work perhaps there is a rescue that can do the work? Just make sure to bring your own towel to wrap your baby.

Most Reactions