Help!!

TangosMom

Dec 19, 2007
Hello. Well I have had my sun conure for a couple months and he has been a wonderful sun conure. He hasn't bitten anyone, or even been angry at all, until today. I wasn't home last night, but my fiance was.. and i came back today reached right in his cage to take him out and he locked right onto my hand. Broke the skin and all. He puffed right up was waving his wings at me, trying to attack me.
!
WHAT IS GOING ON? i can't for the life of me figure this out. I am so upset! He usually grooms me, love picking at my lips everything. Anyone had this happen before?:confused::17:

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
15 year-old Sun Conure: Hamlet &
14 year-old Green-Cheeked Conure: Mac
I think you have misunderstood this behavior ... I think that your hand reaching into the cage startled him and he bit you out of either scared, or he saw you as an invader ...

There are two possible behaviors that you could have experienced ... tell me which one is more accurate ...

The "wing quiver" (almost laying down on the perch and just flipping his wings and looking very excited) is a "PICK ME UP - PICK ME UP!! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE" behavior ...

Now, if you experienced a "GET OUT OF MY TERRITORY" display - Standing straight up, fluffed up (trying to look as large as possible) and also usually accompanied with swaying/shifting back and forth and sometimes lunging ...

But here is the best news, which ever behavior you have seen, IS NORMAL!

:50:

OP
TangosMom

TangosMom

Dec 19, 2007
Hello. He was deff. telling me to get out of his cage. I don't think i scared him becuase i opened the door, went and did something and came back into the room and tried to get him. I gave him some fresh food, he ate then he was fine.
Today when i came home from work it happened all over again!
Now a couple hours later i can pick him up again.

Do they start to get terrorial over their space? This is the second time, he's never shown aggression until the last two days!!!
I'd like to keep him a friendly bird haha!

OP
TangosMom

TangosMom

Dec 19, 2007
OH! and what part of NH are you from??? I'm from the lakes region! I'm in MA right now but moving back next friday!!!! GO SOX!!!!!

Lauren

Dec 13, 2007
Ottawa, ON, Canada
Parrots
Seth - 16 y/o Blue Crown Conure

Lily - 3 y/o White Capped Pionus
Have you had Tango (I'm guessing thats your conures name? :p) DNA'd yet?

If you haven't and are unsure of his gender, maybe he is really a SHE!!!
I know a lot of female birds are going through their hormonal stage (trust me, my Skittles is running around the room dragging everything she can into my underwear drawer) and getting nasty about hands

And parrot also suggested a great point too, if he's moulting then he will definitely be irritated and cranky.
Watch what he's doing over the next few weeks, if he is for sure moulting he might try to flap loose some long feathers and sit on top of his cage/perch and flap like he's trying to be a helicopter.

Last edited:

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
OK, how old is Tango? That is the question that needs to be answered here ... unless Tango is like 2 years old or older this isn't likely a hormonal issue ... it is more than likely that it is a territorial thing ... I can't reach into Ham's cage and try to get my hands into her happy hut, I will get tagged ... but I think that there is something else going on here ... need more information ...

Christy and I are from the Seacoast ...

OP
TangosMom

TangosMom

Dec 19, 2007
I rescued tango from a over bird populated unhealthy situation. I do not know if he is a she haha. I'm not familar with molting, i'll look it up right now.
He has gotten angry when we come home three times now. He is really hand shy, i think we're his 3'rd home.. and he's a lot better than he was when we got him about three weeks ago. We have not brought him to a vet yet. He got clipped before we got him, which i'm not sure how the women did it becuase we can't raise our hand over him with out him hopping/flying away from us. I wish i could pet him!

anyway..he has a broken feather that is really bothering him right now and we can't get it off, he's been chewing on it a little but he is so afraid of our hands we just can't clip it ya know!
What do people do? Molting is when they loose feathers? I'm going to read up on it right now!
Unfortunatly.. He got moved today as we're moving from Boston, to NH. Could he sense the choas of our house being in boxes before we physically moved him?

THANKS for all your help! I really appreciate it!

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
I rescued tango from a over bird populated unhealthy situation.

... I think we're his 3'rd home.. and he's a lot better than he was when we got him about three weeks ago.

Unfortunatly.. He got moved today as we're moving from Boston, to NH. Could he sense the choas of our house being in boxes before we physically moved him!

Ok, see this is the type of information that we need to know before we try to help out any situation ... all of this makes 100% sense to me now *eureka!*

You have a rehomed birdie ... you have a birdie who was probably abused, and you have a birdie who probably wasn't ever let out of his cage ... multiple issues going on here, but I assure you, with lots of love, lots of patience and lots of time this will get better!

More to come later but right now, I must be off!

:50:

Lauren

Dec 13, 2007
Ottawa, ON, Canada
Parrots
Seth - 16 y/o Blue Crown Conure

Lily - 3 y/o White Capped Pionus
I rescued tango from a over bird populated unhealthy situation. I do not know if he is a she haha. I'm not familar with molting, i'll look it up right now.
He has gotten angry when we come home three times now. He is really hand shy, i think we're his 3'rd home.. and he's a lot better than he was when we got him about three weeks ago. We have not brought him to a vet yet. He got clipped before we got him, which i'm not sure how the women did it becuase we can't raise our hand over him with out him hopping/flying away from us. I wish i could pet him!!
Unfortunatly.. He got moved today as we're moving from Boston, to NH. Could he sense the choas of our house being in boxes before we physically moved him?

I agree with Tex 150% Tango is probably confused and scared that he might be going to another place :(
It is possible too that he was abused as well poor little bugger.

anyway..he has a broken feather that is really bothering him right now and we can't get it off, he's been chewing on it a little but he is so afraid of our hands we just can't clip it ya know!
What do people do? Molting is when they loose feathers? I'm going to read up on it right now!

Him having an awkward feather like that would definitely make him grumpy and irritable so that definitely could be helping his moodyness along :(

Most Reactions

Latest posts