Conure is terrified of bathing! Help??

kewicake

Dec 19, 2007
So I just recently got a conure and quaker in September for my birthday. The first time I tried to give them a bath, didn't go over so well. But I thought it was a phase.

So I've been attempting to give them baths once or twice a month now, but they are still terrified.

Before I was using a medium sized sink and I would put them in it.
[this worked before on my old quaker]

But today I filled up the bathtub a little bit thinking they might like a bigger space with me in it with them. But they kept trying to scramble up my arms and knees.

Any ideas on how to help their bathing phobia? :[

AZRickD

Dec 14, 2007
I never put my birds in a "bath" of standing water. I let them ease into a gentle falling stream of luke-warm tap water.

Redballoon

Dec 24, 2006
Have you tried spraying him with a water spray bottle?
Do they have to be immersed in water to get clean and fresh?
I dont know anything about your kind of bird, so I can only say I have a Corella who wont take any water by choice, and a Galah who lifts his wings and wants to be splashed whenever he hears water.

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
15 year-old Sun Conure: Hamlet &
14 year-old Green-Cheeked Conure: Mac
Hamlet is our water baby ... he ... er, SHE (sorry still getting used to that one) wants to get wet when ever she can. If I am doing the dishes she is on my arm just staring at the water. If I am taking a shower she is on her shower perch (usually ends up under the shower water getting soaked) She just loves the water.

Mac on the other hand ... well, not so much ... he(?) will get wet occasionally but prefers to take a bath in his water dish.

Another funny thing here is that Mac likes to take his bath in COLD water ... Hamlet, she likes warmer water ...

It's just a matter of finding a way that your birds feel comfortable
bathing ... try a larger shallow dish (like a pie pan, or a dinner plate) and let them go in on their own ... remember you don't want to force them to do anything they do want to, or they will never want to do it.

:50:

Most Reactions