hi all have a ? as this stumped me

birdmama61

Apr 13, 2011
I just had a friend call me and ask me how to stop her quaker from biting her and she says he bites hard enough to break the skin . Her husband is very angry and wants her to get rid of the bird he thinks he is just mean and better off a breeder bird than a pet . I told her I would ask as I have never had a bird to bite me hard enough to break the skin and she has had this bird for about 3-5 wks now and he just started biting her this hard . I told her I would ask since i have never had a bird like that ? what would be the best thing ? Im her last resort since she is at her wits end .

Atwee921

Apr 22, 2011
Maine, USA
Parrots
Sprite the cinnamon green cheek conure.
A manager at a breeder told me to do 1 of these when they bite:
1. Snap your fingers. RIGHT after they bite snap next to their face.
2. Put them down and ignore them.
I hope I help a little :)

suebee

Jan 13, 2011
ok my nuts a biter, for the simple reason, she is fraustrated an we don't always read her body language properly

personnaly i avoid gettin bit in the first place now, nut may rule the roost a bit at home, but i ask her to step up an if she does not want to, then i leave her to it, i do have the help of my man however as she does step up for him etc

she needs to give the bird some space, how old is bird an how long has she had it?

Pedro

Dec 15, 2010
Australia
Parrots
2 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 6 GCC'S, 2 Crimson Bellie Conures, 9 Sun Conures, 2 Major Mitchells, 12 Eclectus parrots of various ages, 2 BF Amazons, 2 Hahn's Macaw's, 1 Red Tail Black Too
Quakers have a very powerful bite. If the bird is young & handreared they haven't given it time to settle in to its new home. If it a matured bird They will have to work extra hard to gain it's trust. It's very hard to advise someone how to stop their bird from biting. Sometimes it's the owners fault because they don't understand what their bird is trying to tell them. If any of my birds bite me they go back into their cage & i walk away.
Have a look through these youtube clips from Barbara H of Good Bird Inc.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6hk7QCed98]‪Good Bird Inc Parrot Training DVD Clips‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

Most Reactions

Latest posts