How long to adjust after a nail clip?

MomtoPercy

Nov 15, 2013
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Percy, a 5yo BFA & Jack, a 8yo Budgie
I had Percy's nails clipped by the vet about three weeks ago. They were very long and needle sharp and starting to catch in things. Anyway the vet clipped them all, not too short butt quite a bit of and straight across, no more sharp points.

I am concerned that since then, he seems to struggle sometimes to hold onto perches, me, whatever. He's had a few tumbles and each time he gets such a big fright. He doesn't slip off a perch when sitting still (or sleeping) but it is as if, when he's moving about, he forgets that he doesn't have his long, sharp, grippy claws anymore.

I have watched him VERY closely and I'm sure there's nothing wrong with him physically (not ill or injured) except for the missing sharp nail tips because he still clambers about, hangs upside down from his cage to attack toys, etc. And he still loves his footie rubs so I'm sure he's feet aren't painful or something.

I'm going to 'roughen' up his perches that look like they need it (especially his sleeping perch which is roughened up bamboo, the only thing he will sleep on) today but is there something else you all can suggest?

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Poor Percy, he got a bad pedicure :( Sounds like the vet just clipped them a bit too short. They will probably grow back to a more suitable length before he would adjust to having "useless" talons. And don't worry, they do grow VERY fast. Unless they are curling under or causing mobility issues, request the vet ONLY clip the sharp point off next time. Thats what we do with Kiwi- we just clip the tips off and usually that's more for our comfort than anything. Parrots need their talons for climbing and holding food (and digging into our flesh). Most healthy and active parrots who eat a good diet will not start having actual issues with overgrown talons until they hit old age (like 35/40+ years old, old age).

Most Reactions

Latest posts