How should i separate my injured budgie from my other budgies?

marsie

Apr 2, 2023
Parrots
green cheek conure (1), budgies (3)
i have a budgie who got a cut on her head 2 days ago. only a little bit of bleeding and she is acting fine. i couldnt find the wound though, but there was not a lot of blood so im fairly sure it wasnt very serious (may be wrong). my budgies seem to really miss each other though and i am wondering if theres any reason to keep them separated anymore. im worried about the other birds possibly making the wound to bleed again maybe through preening, but is that realistic? i couldnt find any information on how long to keep them separated and how long it takes for wounds to heal online, so i thought maybe i would ask here. thanks!

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
There is a risk of them preening open the wound, however removing the injured budgies will definitely stress out all parties. I think I would just let her stay in the flock and keep an eye on her to make sure it doesn't reopen.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
Budgies seem to "LOVE" a little bit too much and do get injuries from it. from budgies and bigger birds. I was recently talking to my AVN about this. They are hardy birds and I guess I agree with above unless you see anything getting worse, then I'd isolate until the bird is a full strength. I have one bird that got its first (front, longest) toe hurt... I seperated for a bit (a few days) now that bird is friggin rocky! He pushes back on any bird that tries to take his spot.

Most Reactions