Mar 5, 2014
Lansing, NC, USA
Parrots
Harley and Marley mated pair of budgies, age unknown
Rajah and Keeta, mated pair of parrotlets, ages 6yrs. and 11yrs. respectively
Kiki, Senegal, F., 7yrs.
Kookooloo, CAG, F., 14 yrs.
Mimi, YHA, F., 1
I really doubt that it is true. So far the majority of the pellets that I have found have pretty much the same things in very similar ratios. When looking at the recommended daily allowances again I find that the actual differences are small. If you combine say three pellets lets say with 14 % fat, 12% fat and 14% fat the result will be more than 12% but slightly less than 14% fat. So as long as none by themselves supply too much of a vitamin or mineral then combining them will always result in a mix which does not contain too much either.

witchbaby

Feb 4, 2014
Virginia
Parrots
cinnamon turquoise gcc - luna,
pineapple gcc - drago,
galah/rose breasted cockatoo - merlin,
timneh african grey - jasper,
pied cockatiel - picasso,
blue & gold macaw - mia
I wouldn't be concerned about vitamin overdose unless you're adding vitamin drops to their food.

OP
MacawGuy

MacawGuy

Jun 12, 2012
Indiana
Parrots
B&G Macaw
So if I used Harrison and zupreem that would be fine.

veimar

Feb 5, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
gcc Parry; lovebird Coco; 3 budgies (Tesla, Franky and Cesar); cockatiel Murzik, red rump parakeet girl Onyx
I dunno - check on the back of the package for contents/amounts - if they are similar you can probably mix them with no problem. I don't mix pellets (I have only zupreem right now), but I mix different brands of seed/pellet packages all the time because the contents vary a bit, and they compliment each other.

Chelle

Aug 5, 2013
Parrots
CHEESECAKE (Pineapple~GCC) 2/4/14
I have heard of others on this forum who do mix brands I believe however, I don't remember who. Maybe someone with experience in this area will come along and help you out :)

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I mix pellets for my birds. I use Roudybush & Zupreem for most of them.

riddick07

Dec 22, 2011
PA
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw (Titan) & Yellow Naped Amazon (Kelly)
The shelter mixes pellets. Some birds like one kind and others like another so mixing it makes it easier. I think they do 3 or 4 different kinds. Your bird might just pick out one kind and ignore the other one.

I personally don't like mixing pellets but its not because of any reasonable thing I can think of... I just don't like to do it:eek:

Dinosrawr

Aug 15, 2013
Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Parrots
Avery, a GCC born on March 5th, 2013 & Shiko, a blue IRN born on February 25th, 2014
I mix my pellets, and will be adding another mix. I honestly cannot see how that is true, considering that the only way to make it an additive effect would be to DOUBLE the amount that is being fed initially - only then would you be greatly increasing vitamin intake. I only feed one tsp of each brand (currently Roudy and Harrisons, soon to be adding TOPs) per day, and feed my birds a mash, fresh fruits and veggies.

I think of it as a donut with four different quarters all mixed into one... if all four quarters are the same potency of whatever they contain, you are consuming no more or no less than you would initially. However, if you were given FOUR donuts, then you'd be GREATLY increasing the intake.

That response just makes me think the person doesn't have basic math skills... no offense. :)

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Sounds like a boatload of crap to me...

Really, the only time you have to worry about that sort of stuff is if you have an eckie that is prone to toe tap...

And the real danger is that people get supplemented pelets, and then unnecessarily add vitamins ON TOP OF it which is both expensive and stupid, and could in rare cases lead to toxicity...

In all my years, I've never seen a bird who got vitamin toxicity from eating too many pellets.

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fargo- Blue and Gold Macaw
That is so untrue... -_-

Fargo gets four types of pellets, all mixed in together- Zupreem, Harrisons, and 2 types of vetafarms!

It isn't like 1 cup of each kind is given, the same amount of pellets is given, just with different types! Plus it gives him a variety of flavours, luckily he isn't picky, he eats anything i put in front of him ;)

I have been mixing his pellets for 2 years and both avian vets Fargo has seen has said he is one of the healthiest feathered macaws they have seen! :)

OP
MacawGuy

MacawGuy

Jun 12, 2012
Indiana
Parrots
B&G Macaw
Thanks everyone I figured it was true. But I wanted to make sure. My breeder told me she was going to weaned my baby with zurpreem or Higgins intunes. But I want to put her on Harrison. Would it be a hard switch if she does like the Harrison?

OP
MacawGuy

MacawGuy

Jun 12, 2012
Indiana
Parrots
B&G Macaw
To see which one hse like best. I don't want to order something then she not like it. Then have to order something in have to wait.

witchbaby

Feb 4, 2014
Virginia
Parrots
cinnamon turquoise gcc - luna,
pineapple gcc - drago,
galah/rose breasted cockatoo - merlin,
timneh african grey - jasper,
pied cockatiel - picasso,
blue & gold macaw - mia
I mix Harrisons and Zupreem for Luna. Same situation. The breeder started her out on Zupreem so that's what she prefers to eat. I suggest mixing a larger portion of the Zupreem with a smaller portion of whatever pellet you want her to be eating. Slowly increase the amount of the desired pellet over time while offering less of the Zupreem.

goalerjones

Oct 24, 2011
Parrots
Hahn's macaw, RIP George, Jenday Conure
So if I used Harrison and zupreem that would be fine.

But don't use colored and non colored. You would upset the time-space continuum and might send yourself back to 1977 and have to re-live Jimmy Carter's presidency.

Most Reactions