(Huge) Mealy Amazon male and biting

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Great interactions!

Every time, I see a video of your Mealy, I am impressed at his appearance and just how big he is!

Amazon's have more Fun! Mealy just take-over! :D

OP
PL84

PL84

Jul 12, 2017
Finland
Parrots
2x CAG, 2x YWA, BFA, Mealy, Festive, Hyacinth, B&G, Greater Vasa, 2x Lesser Sulphur Crested
Bonus question

Code:
https://youtu.be/Ha8MNA34eFY?t=1m4s

Does anyone know where that sound is from? It's so familiar sounding but i just cant remember where it's from.

(Sound effect he makes while he scratches his head)

Kentuckienne

Supporting Vendor
Oct 9, 2016
Middle of nowhere (kentuckianna)
Parrots
Roommates include Gus, Blue and gold macaw rescue and Coco, secondhand amazon
What a fantastic job you're doing with this little lost soul! I can tell he is so happy to have found you. On edit: I just saw the video of him hopping on your arm. What a beast! He could poop a bird Kizzy's size. XD

His poops are quite majestic and he saves them until they're big enough. Not like my CAG who poops once in 10mins, Åke brews them with love. He poops only maybe once times / 2 hours but those are the big ones. He says a little sound that sounds like "aaaah" when he poops, and i'm not kidding =)

Some of us refer to those poops as "boons" which are magnanimously granted to us by our feathered masters. Parrot boons.

Kentuckienne

Supporting Vendor
Oct 9, 2016
Middle of nowhere (kentuckianna)
Parrots
Roommates include Gus, Blue and gold macaw rescue and Coco, secondhand amazon
Bonus question

Code:

Does anyone know where that sound is from? It's so familiar sounding but i just cant remember where it's from.

It almost sounds like a fancy car horn. Maybe someone's mobile ringtone?

OP
PL84

PL84

Jul 12, 2017
Finland
Parrots
2x CAG, 2x YWA, BFA, Mealy, Festive, Hyacinth, B&G, Greater Vasa, 2x Lesser Sulphur Crested
Bonus question

Code:

It almost sounds like a fancy car horn. Maybe someone's mobile ringtone?

Maybe, both would be possible :)... He has learned it when he was at the whole saler in Sweden (for 5 years).

That "tune" just is so familiar but i cant just remember from where.

OP
PL84

PL84

Jul 12, 2017
Finland
Parrots
Åke watching Amazons on Youtube... I'm reading that he is quite happy/excited, this isn't a angry/fear acting right? :)

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zw4wJqhFMk"]Ã…ke watching youtube - YouTube[/ame]

OP
PL84

PL84

Jul 12, 2017
Finland
Parrots
I've still been bitten, excited biting more likely. Åke makes little beeb noises that means he wants a cable tie, when he sees i got the cable tie for him he flies to my arm and start saying "HALLÅ! HALLÅ! HALLÅ!" and sometimes bites me.

But he has understood it now that it's not ok to bite, not even when you're getting a cable tie... He bites but after the bite (when i say _NO BITING_) he closes his eyes and drops his head. Atleast it looks like he's sorry =)

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
haha what a funny Zon

he's definitely got his own little character. It's amazing reading through this and seeing just how quickly a person and parrot can bond to one-another

OP
PL84

PL84

Jul 12, 2017
Finland
Parrots
haha what a funny Zon

he's definitely got his own little character. It's amazing reading through this and seeing just how quickly a person and parrot can bond to one-another

I'm waiting for him to understand that i'm not going anywhere... His velcro behaviour is hurting my bond with my CAG. Åke is no more than 1 meter away from me almost 24/7 and he's jealous if the CAG comes near. Hope he is going to be a normal Zon in near future and capable of entertaining himself so i can have some time with the CAG too. Fortunately Elli the CAG likes my wife too and hangs with her so there is no major damage done...

OP
PL84

PL84

Jul 12, 2017
Finland
Parrots
Some fluffyness!

UpSorl.png

z6hHr0.png

8gBEDX.png

Ladyhawk

Apr 30, 2017
Parrots
Kizzy - (most likely) female blue-fronted Amazon, hatched on May 1, 2017; Gabby - Male double yellowheaded Amazon, hatched, April 1, 1986; died February 22, 2017
haha what a funny Zon

I'm waiting for him to understand that i'm not going anywhere... His velcro behaviour is hurting my bond with my CAG. Åke is no more than 1 meter away from me almost 24/7 and he's jealous if the CAG comes near. Hope he is going to be a normal Zon in near future and capable of entertaining himself so i can have some time with the CAG too. Fortunately Elli the CAG likes my wife too and hangs with her so there is no major damage done...

I'm sure SailBoat will have words of wisdom on this. I think it will sink in soon and he'll start doing more things on his own. My baby Amazon is still clingy, but will spend more time away from me now.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Separate work /training rooms will help maintain a bond with each parrot and not invite a fight between the Parrots. While you are in one room working with one Parrot, your wife is in the other room with the other Parrot. Switch so that the activity times are about the same.

If you have an outside window that will allow the Parrot to see you, try this: Place the Parrot on a perch near the Window. Assure that the Parrot understands the concept of Windows being solid! One of the two of you remains with the Parrot and the other goes though the leaving the home talk with the Parrot: Bye, bye - I'm going outside for a few minutes, bye, bye! That person leaves the home and a bit later shows-up outside in the area that the Amazon can see them. The individual inside than shows that Parrot that the person who left is outside. The Parrot associates that leaving is outside and this is a great tool to limit screaming and to a lesser level of separation. The time in which the individual is seen and not seen is increased. Both individual take turns being the outside person.

Getting a Parrot to self-entertain is started by providing tools that the Humans' play with the Parrot and as part of the process, less Human involvement and more playing with the toy alone!

The more comfortable the Parrot is with other Humans, the more it lessens the need to be around just you and more time around others.

Amazons and their Humans are all happier when the Amazon is socialized.

Remember that your Amazon has been waiting for this level of involvement, therefore attachments are going to be very strong and the underlying fear of loosing the new attachment is deeply felt!

Enjoy!

Last edited:
OP
PL84

PL84

Jul 12, 2017
Finland
Parrots
Separate work /training rooms will help maintain a bond with each parrot and not invite a fight between the Parrots. While you are in one room working with one Parrot, your wife is in the other room with the other Parrot. Switch so that the activity times are about the same.

If you have an outside window that will allow the Parrot to see you, try this: Place the Parrot on a perch near the Window. Assure that the Parrot understands the concept of Windows being solid! One of the two of you remains with the Parrot and the other goes though the leaving the home talk with the Parrot: Bye, bye - I'm going outside for a few minutes, bye, bye! That person leaves the home and a bit later shows-up outside in the area that the Amazon can see them. The individual inside than shows that Parrot that the person who left is outside. The Parrot associates that leaving is outside and this is a great tool to limit screaming and to a lesser level of separation. The time in which the individual is seen and not seen is increased. Both individual take turns being the outside person.

Getting a Parrot to self-entertain is started by providing tools that the Humans' play with the Parrot and as part of the process, less Human involvement and more playing with the toy alone!

The more comfortable the Parrot is with other Humans, the more it lessens the need to be around just you and more time around others.

Amazons and their Humans are all happier when the Amazon is socialized.

Remember that your Amazon has been waiting for this level of involvement, therefore attachments are going to be very strong and the underlying fear of loosing the new attachment is deeply felt!

Enjoy!

Thank you (again)! :)... We've been doing things like that, for example when we woke up i leave for a market or something like that and my wife let's Åke out of his cage i just say "bye bye, see you soon" to Åke. He's now following my wife too (when i'm not around) so i think we're making atleast some progress :)

We got separate rooms for playing, sleeping and training. But Åke is where i am so i cant go to training room with the CAG, i can ofcourse but ake comes behind the door and screams those lovely Amazon "where are you" screams.

OP
PL84

PL84

Jul 12, 2017
Finland
Parrots
We're doing great. No biting for a week now and Åke is learning to step up when i ask it.

Having some breakfast with Elli and Åke, fried eggs without salt + of course no teflon pan.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08hExyrWpPM"]Breakfast with Ã…ke and Elli - YouTube[/ame]

OP
PL84

PL84

Jul 12, 2017
Finland
Parrots
Åkes favorite toys are big (wide) cable ties, you need to "lock" (make loop) them. Then he cuts it, removes the lock by pulling it out light it should be removed, cuts the rest of the cable tie and after that chews the lock for few mins and spits it out. Due morning/day he flies to my arm and "asks" for a new cable tie, but during evenings he's too lazy to fly so he sits on his "feeding perch", tilts his head and makes kraa kraa sounds that sound like a crow. It means he needs the cable tie and he needs it served. I'm not letting him to make me his cable tie servant so more than often i dont bring him the cable tie :)

iHpdKL.jpg

OP
PL84

PL84

Jul 12, 2017
Finland
Parrots
We are getting there!

Åke has become really friendly, still 100% velcro 'zon... He wants to play with me all the time. Åkes playing is just a little bit rough, it involves lot of pinching, hanging around with his beak etc... ...But after a playtime Åke wants some scratches.

Any thoughts SailBoat? :) (you see things with Amazons that i cant)...

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eii725VjSM"]Playing with Ã…ke - YouTube[/ame]

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
That is one very happy Amazon!

It is important to remember that Amazons have no switch between play and rough play. To them, its all play! As a result, they do love rougher play, so keep in mine not to push 'Pressure training' backwards. As Beak Pressure meets a give level, be prepared to say no (not loudly), take a quick break and get back in there.

I understand that you need to hold the smart phone to video this, so if you are doing what I'm suggesting, that's wonderful.

Playing with Amazons: It is important to use both hands. When an Amazon is holding on with one claw and the Beak and they elect to switch to the other claw - they will be holding on with only their Beak! It will be natural for them to increase the Pressure to maintain a hold until the other claw can get a grip.

I like to work with both hands. One hand playing and the other hand acting as a 'safety net' to support either your hand or the Amazon, if a problem occurs. Now, at first your Amazon will not fully understand what that hand is doing, since it commonly is very near by, but not involved. So, it will require a little practice. Once your Amazon picks-up on the other hand being a supportive 'third party' he will place little attention regarding it being there. He may also become a bit more lacks in using both claws as he will become somewhat dependent on that hand to come to his support or provide support when needed (which is wonderful).

You can also, use that hand to cradle his back to provide a platform for him to play from 'upside down!.

When you are providing scratches consider also using your thumb and finger to provide a means to contour the feather and smooth its ends, (from both sides, plus make skin contact. Starting from the skin to the end of the feather. We are not as talented as they are at working with feathers, but with a little effort, you will learn. Also, using both thumb and finger will allow you to 'comfortably' work both side of the Beak and cheek. Soft, light pressure will win you more time to do more! :D

NOTE: Single finger contact can be a bit more difficult than what we want to provided, since without an additional contact point (thumb or finger) we do not have much feedback.

You are making fantastic progress! As I stated: That is one Happy Amazon!

Enjoy!

OP
PL84

PL84

Jul 12, 2017
Finland
Parrots
That is one very happy Amazon!

It is important to remember that Amazons have no switch between play and rough play. To them, its all play! As a result, they do love rougher play, so keep in mine not to push 'Pressure training' backwards. As Beak Pressure meets a give level, be prepared to say no (not loudly), take a quick break and get back in there.

I understand that you need to hold the smart phone to video this, so if you are doing what I'm suggesting, that's wonderful.

Playing with Amazons: It is important to use both hands. When an Amazon is holding on with one claw and the Beak and they elect to switch to the other claw - they will be holding on with only their Beak! It will be natural for them to increase the Pressure to maintain a hold until the other claw can get a grip.

I like to work with both hands. One hand playing and the other hand acting as a 'safety net' to support either your hand or the Amazon, if a problem occurs. Now, at first your Amazon will not fully understand what that hand is doing, since it commonly is very near by, but not involved. So, it will require a little practice. Once your Amazon picks-up on the other hand being a supportive 'third party' he will place little attention regarding it being there. He may also become a bit more lacks in using both claws as he will become somewhat dependent on that hand to come to his support or provide support when needed (which is wonderful).

You can also, use that hand to cradle his back to provide a platform for him to play from 'upside down!.

When you are providing scratches consider also using your thumb and finger to provide a means to contour the feather and smooth its ends, (from both sides, plus make skin contact. Starting from the skin to the end of the feather. We are not as talented as they are at working with feathers, but with a little effort, you will learn. Also, using both thumb and finger will allow you to 'comfortably' work both side of the Beak and cheek. Soft, light pressure will win you more time to do more! :D

NOTE: Single finger contact can be a bit more difficult than what we want to provided, since without an additional contact point (thumb or finger) we do not have much feedback.

You are making fantastic progress! As I stated: That is one Happy Amazon!

Enjoy!

Thank you, great info like always :)... I'm using my second hand normally as we play. I've noticed that pressure thing and ill try to keep his feet on one of my hands all the time... Åke has learned not to bite (pressure) so hard when we play, in that video i wasnt in pain in any moment =)

Our newest flock member Aatu the 20 year old Blue Fronted Amazon is doing great too, he is quite shy but he's getting braver every day. Now he leaves his cage and interacts with us and Åke + Elli (he didnt leave his cage for the first month, he came out but didnt leave top of his cage)... I think i can get him to step up really soon and then we can beging to train flying (if he is willing). He is terrible flyer, we have a huge house so it would be great for him if he learned to fly and could explore the house himself.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7ltFOnYuPY"]Whole flock and some lettuce - YouTube[/ame]

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Your Statement: "Our newest flock member Aatu the 20 year old Blue Fronted Amazon is doing great too, he is quite shy but he's getting braver every day. Now he leaves his cage and interacts with us and Åke + Elli (he didnt leave his cage for the first month, he came out but didnt leave top of his cage)... I think i can get him to step up really soon and then we can beging to train flying (if he is willing). He is terrible flyer, we have a huge house so it would be great for him if he learned to fly and could explore the house himself."

Aatu will continue to open-up over the next weeks and months! At this point, Aatu shows a high level of interest and very limited fear or aggression, if any! Over the next couple of weeks, depending on your level of comfort, I would try a 'Step-Up' request of Aatu. State something like Aatu, Step-up with your finger properly position. If he backs away - not ready or does not know how. If he attempts to bite, more time to developing a relationship, or does not know how. If he Steps-up! Congratulations!

Teaching and older Amazon to Fly, Starting Point:
- Needs to have completed Step-up training and is comfortable being on your hand!
- Visit your CAV (certified Avian Vet)! As part of that visit, you need to clearly state to your CAV that you want to Teach Your Amazon To Fly and you want an evaluation of the Health of your Parrots; Flight Muscle Mass, Heart and Air Sacks. This should include a full spectrum blood test. It would not be uncommon to receive an evaluation to allow for 'moderate' training and a revisit after three to six months! Or, that as a result of existing issues, only light physical activity.

There is a real need to begin slowly, building muscle mass of the primary flight muscles, plus the Heart and Air Sacks!

Once these two steps are completed, I will help you begin that muscle building process plus targeting base pre-flight skills.

Enjoy!

Most Reactions

Latest posts