(Huge) Mealy Amazon male and biting

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Mercy....That's one BIG 'zon! :eek:

Jim

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
I also like to suggest new owners of amazons to watch this video. This is one of the better demonstrations of body language used by amazons indicating "I am going to attack the crap out of you if you don't cease and desist immediately" available for viewing on youtube. Note the fluffed up head, fanned tail, slightly spread wings, feverish pacing, aggressive leaning in (and if you could zoom in close, there would be rapidly pinning eyes as well). If an amazon is displaying this kind of body language, it is best to back off!

Parrot Attacks and Bites Violinist: Amazing, Scary, Hilarious! - YouTube

Pleased to see the Amazon climb back up his cage but wondering what happened to the somewhat clueless violinist as we didn't see him again, ER maybe? ;)

OP
PL84

PL84

Jul 12, 2017
Finland
Parrots
2x CAG, 2x YWA, BFA, Mealy, Festive, Hyacinth, B&G, Greater Vasa, 2x Lesser Sulphur Crested

Jim

Yes, he is a one big fella, that's one of the things i loved about him when i saw him for the first time at pet shop :)

He's a size of a male Umbrella Cockatoo that my friend has :)

OP
PL84

PL84

Jul 12, 2017
Finland
Parrots
2x CAG, 2x YWA, BFA, Mealy, Festive, Hyacinth, B&G, Greater Vasa, 2x Lesser Sulphur Crested
I also like to suggest new owners of amazons to watch this video. This is one of the better demonstrations of body language used by amazons indicating "I am going to attack the crap out of you if you don't cease and desist immediately" available for viewing on youtube. Note the fluffed up head, fanned tail, slightly spread wings, feverish pacing, aggressive leaning in (and if you could zoom in close, there would be rapidly pinning eyes as well). If an amazon is displaying this kind of body language, it is best to back off!

Parrot Attacks and Bites Violinist: Amazing, Scary, Hilarious! - YouTube

Pleased to see the Amazon climb back up his cage but wondering what happened to the somewhat clueless violinist as we didn't see him again, ER maybe? ;)

From the video description:

"A horrible painful experience that require plastic surgery."

sonja

Jul 31, 2012
I just want to say I am so jealous of that beautiful Mealy!!! I've wanted one forever! I wish you much happiness with him.

OP
PL84

PL84

Jul 12, 2017
Finland
Parrots
I just want to say I am so jealous of that beautiful Mealy!!! I've wanted one forever! I wish you much happiness with him.

I didn't even think that i would see Mealy Amazon (for sale) in Finland. All things combined (mainly his background story, i think i would got parrot of any kind with that kind of sad story) it was a love in first sight :)

I dont know how many Mealys there is in Finland but i'm pretty sure the number is really low.

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon

OP
PL84

PL84

Jul 12, 2017
Finland
Parrots

Jim

Yes, he is a one big fella, that's one of the things i loved about him when i saw him for the first time at pet shop :)

He's a size of a male Umbrella Cockatoo that my friend has :)

Do you know how many grams he weighs??

Jim

Haven't been able to weight him yet but compared to my normal size female cag (one sitting on my left arm and one on right) i would say the mealy weighs A LOT more... Cant say any more accurately yet, 50%-100% more :)

E: Actually i held my friends cockatoo just this morning and it's not going badly wrong if i say they weight the same, his cockatoo weights 670g

E2: Texted my friend and his cockatoo actually weights 730g :)

Last edited:
OP
PL84

PL84

Jul 12, 2017
Finland
Parrots
What is his name?

We aren't 100% sure yet, me and my wife are horrible about naming our animals =)

We're always "test running" some names for a few days and then changing if and when it doesn't sound good.

He is from Sweden, He speaks some Swedish so we're calling him "Åke" right now and i think this will be hes name :)

E: For example of our great imagination in naming, we got two juvenile green iguanas, red and green... So they're (at the moment) named Red and Green =)... But that is mainly because we cant tell their gender yet, my friend has huge male iguana named Alice, i dont want that =)

Last edited:

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon

Sometimes names just "come to you"..If you try and THINK of a name...it gets real confusing lol...When Amy came home with me I beat myself up trying to think of a name ( who would name their Amazon "AMY" anyway! :rolleyes:) Amy is short for AMY'zon..duhhh...that's the best you could do,Jim??:eek:

Now with BB ( short for Baby Bird) it came fairly easy..after all...he was a baby lol..So BB fits him. Now he has a ton of nic names..Beebs...The Beebs..Beebers..Fluff Boy...HEY YOU!!!....!@#(*&)HU% :rolleyes: :p

Jim

OP
PL84

PL84

Jul 12, 2017
Finland
Parrots
Sometimes names just "come to you"..If you try and THINK of a name...it gets real confusing lol...When Amy came home with me I beat myself up trying to think of a name ( who would name their Amazon "AMY" anyway! :rolleyes:) Amy is short for AMY'zon..duhhh...that's the best you could do,Jim??:eek:

Now with BB ( short for Baby Bird) it came fairly easy..after all...he was a baby lol..So BB fits him. Now he has a ton of nic names..Beebs...The Beebs..Beebers..Fluff Boy...HEY YOU!!!....!@#(*&)HU% :rolleyes: :p

Jim

My wife calls our Mealy "Änkkä" it comes from 'Angry Birds' because she thinks he looks like the green pigs from Angry Birds when he fluffs himself :)

Ladyhawk

Apr 30, 2017
Parrots
Kizzy - (most likely) female blue-fronted Amazon, hatched on May 1, 2017; Gabby - Male double yellowheaded Amazon, hatched, April 1, 1986; died February 22, 2017
I'm not seeing an Amazon that dislikes the "Titanic Song." If you view the last third of that Video, its still playing and the BFA is not going over the top, not at all!

Most people that do not like the music likely are missing that special romance in their life or loss the belief in the joy of romance.

I like your Owner's "shorthand" that is develop with the passage of time!

Yes, the BFA was pissed off by the violinist, not the song. If it was his first experience with a violin, all he saw was a scary object making noise in his territory.

I was making a Titanic song joke. It's an old source of jokes, but truth to tell, I really do like that song. I like other Celine Dion songs, too, but she gets raked over the coals a lot. I just sort of laugh and go along. Kizzy is taking up my time right now, but when I have extra time, I hang out with musicians and do occasional gigs with various-sized jazz bands. I have to stroke their egos. All musicians (including me) have egos that need stroking. :)

I sang "My Heart Will Go On" over the phone to a good friend of mine who was in end stage kidney failure. It was my best effort because I knew she loved that song. She passed away just ten days after Gabby did. So, I lost two of my best friends to renal failure in a very short amount of time and I think I'm still reeling from the loss.

I miss my Canadian friend and I miss my bird friend and the sort of "married old couple" communication we had achieved during thirty years of friendship. They are both irreplaceable.

OP
PL84

PL84

Jul 12, 2017
Finland
Parrots
A young Mealy in good health that is also a flier will be in the 650 to 730g size range!

Well my "hand weighing" didn't go wrong when i said he seems to weight the same as my friends 730g cockatoo :)

OP
PL84

PL84

Jul 12, 2017
Finland
Parrots
After i posted this thread (and yes, read those threads that were recommended to me) Åke hasn't bite me. Not even once.

He seems really relaxed around me now, before when he wanted to sleep he used his perch over his cage.

Now he sleeps something like 0,5m (~2 feet) away from me with no problem. He must feel safe and secure to do that, right? :)... Actually i haven't seen him sleeping like that outside of his cage before (beak under the wing).

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGky4oxgV-Y"]AÌŠke sleeping 2 - YouTube[/ame]

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
Oh my god it only just hit me how HUGE he is!

I'd love to not be nervous around big birds so I could give big birdy cuddles! (I know you shouldn't but can you blame me for wanting to?)

These are some incredible leaps you're making. I see the start of an amazing relationship between you!

OP
PL84

PL84

Jul 12, 2017
Finland
Parrots
Oh my god it only just hit me how HUGE he is!

I'd love to not be nervous around big birds so I could give big birdy cuddles! (I know you shouldn't but can you blame me for wanting to?)

These are some incredible leaps you're making. I see the start of an amazing relationship between you!

Yep, he is a big boy =)

My friend visited today with his Umbrella Cockatoo and i say that my Mealy is bigger and he weighs more too, my friends cockatoo is 730 grams, i'm guessing my mealy is around 800g and he's not fat, he's just big :D...

I think i can weigh him in a few weeks when he gets more relaxed with me but i'm putting my bets on 800 grams... Maybe even little bit more.

I did some googling and i found that they are usually around 540-700 grams like SailBoat said _BUT_ "Some male Mealy parrots, however, are much larger than this.", i think i got one of those =)

E: My friends umbrella2 is a big bird you can give big bird hugs... He's one velcro bird :)

Last edited:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
At his age, he would be a really big guy at 800g. Commonly, they are near ten years old before you start seeing them that big. Possible, but not as common.

Let's wait until he is a bit more settled and go for a scaled weight!

As you know, the best weight is taken at the same time each time and the most consistent weight is taken after the first moment of the day and before the first meal of the day.

OP
PL84

PL84

Jul 12, 2017
Finland
Parrots
At his age, he would be a really big guy at 800g. Commonly, they are near ten years old before you start seeing them that big. Possible, but not as common.

Let's wait until he is a bit more settled and go for a scaled weight!

As you know, the best weight is taken at the same time each time and the most consistent weight is taken after the first moment of the day and before the first meal of the day.

Yep, need to do that to say anything for sure :)

But my friends cockatoo sit next to him today (they get along just fine too, my Mealy seems to like every bird he sees) and i can say that he is few centimeters taller than that 730gram umbrella cockatoo (crest down of course)

Most Reactions