HUGE scare today.

nicolee003

Oct 19, 2012
Ohio
Parrots
Yoshi - Cinnamon GCC R.I.P. :(
Yogi - Normal GCC
We have a 4 month old GCC named Yogi. Something scared him today and he flew so hard straight into the window. I ran over to him and his body was low and he wasn't moving. I picked him up (he wouldn't step onto my finger) and he started to close his eyes. My heart dropped instantly because I thought something was seriously wrong. I put him in his cage and he went in his happy hut and slept for a little while. Now it's 2 hours later and he seems completely fine. He's flying, stepping up, singing, playing and eating...whew!

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
If a person has large windows...and even not so large windows, in their house, it is always a good policy to take new birds around and let them beak & lick the windows to show them that there is something there to block their way. They will remember it, so it might also be a good idea to do this with birds who have lived in the home for however long, but never beaked the windows...not just one, but all, including mirrors.

Echo

Dec 7, 2009
USA
Parrots
Green Cheek Conures, Crimson Conures, CAG, Pionus, Budgies, Goffin Cockatoo
Not to promote clipping (as all mine are fully flighted), but I have to ask, is he clipped? He is still a baby and shouldn't be able to flight too fast so as to hurt himself. Babies can get spooked more easily and more prone to flying into things.....

ivysaur

Jul 30, 2012
Parrots
Ivy: Canary-winged Parakeet (Brotogeris versicolurus)
it is always a good policy to take new birds around and let them beak & lick the windows to show them that there is something there to block their way.

I am so happy you said this. Once Ivy molts we want her flighted and I was really worried about windows. This makes so much sense.

OP
nicolee003

nicolee003

Oct 19, 2012
Ohio
Parrots
Yogi - Normal GCC
If a person has large windows...and even not so large windows, in their house, it is always a good policy to take new birds around and let them beak & lick the windows to show them that there is something there to block their way. They will remember it, so it might also be a good idea to do this with birds who have lived in the home for however long, but never beaked the windows...not just one, but all, including mirrors.

I have actually have done this with all windows and mirrors. Also, every day (multiple times a day) we go and stand in front of this window and pecks at it and licks it and watches the other birds flying outside so I'm not sure why he flew into it. I was using my food processor so as soon as I started it up it scared him so I guess he just wasnt thinking...poor guy :(

OP
nicolee003

nicolee003

Oct 19, 2012
Ohio
Parrots
Yogi - Normal GCC
Not to promote clipping (as all mine are fully flighted), but I have to ask, is he clipped? He is still a baby and shouldn't be able to flight too fast so as to hurt himself. Babies can get spooked more easily and more prone to flying into things.....

He is not clipped only because when I bought him from the breeder he wasn't clipped so I just went with that. I just need to be more careful and put him inside his cage any time I know I will be making a loud noise.

Thingamagigs

Oct 13, 2012
Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Parrots
Mana the manic female galah; yet to be named male corella
Some birds (especially young ones) when frightened won't have enough sense about them to remember there is a window there. If you have shown him windows thats all you can do, other than putting curtains over the windows (and clipping, which Im not a huge fan of). If you like to be able to see out, you can also put up clear PVC sheet or see through gauzy material a few inches in front of the window to stop/slow them from directly hitting the window. He should remember now, but some birds are just a bit derpy (cockatiels for example) and will probably need permanent window safety measures LOL

Echo

Dec 7, 2009
USA
Parrots
I have window clings on a new pocket door we put in to show the birds that there is a window there....When I have babies I also put some on the windows in the bird room. They are easy to put on and off and some are really cute :)

Last edited:

Customcasket

Aug 24, 2011
Media
New Jersey
Parrots
Female Dusky Conure (Kayak) Female Sun Conure (Carlisle) Female Budgie (Meister) Male Budgie (Spooky Burd)
I have window clings on a new pocket door we put in to show the birds that there is a window there....When I have babies I also put some on the windows in the bird room. They are easy to put on and off and some are really cute :)

Can I pretend to be a bird and live in your bird room? That is an awesome, gorgeous room!

Customcasket

Aug 24, 2011
Media
New Jersey
Parrots
Female Dusky Conure (Kayak) Female Sun Conure (Carlisle) Female Budgie (Meister) Male Budgie (Spooky Burd)
I had an issue with Kayak who flew into a sliding glass door when she got spooked by a family member. Normally the back door has those little grilles that go over it, but that day they happened to be off for cleaning. It was quite scary to hear her thump right into it and hit the ground. She walked over to me after hitting it and looked at me like "Oh hey, sorry about that." and acted perfectly normal after that. It's the only time she's flown into glass.

Echo

Dec 7, 2009
USA
Parrots

Can I pretend to be a bird and live in your bird room? That is an awesome, gorgeous room!

Thanks! Yes I like the bird room so much! I built it last year and really thought about the birds for everything!! I think they enjoy it so much as well!! They have great vision so I think they can see the lake right now! LOL

OP
nicolee003

nicolee003

Oct 19, 2012
Ohio
Parrots
Yogi - Normal GCC
I had an issue with Kayak who flew into a sliding glass door when she got spooked by a family member. Normally the back door has those little grilles that go over it, but that day they happened to be off for cleaning. It was quite scary to hear her thump right into it and hit the ground. She walked over to me after hitting it and looked at me like "Oh hey, sorry about that." and acted perfectly normal after that. It's the only time she's flown into glass.

It's the scariest noise to hear them hit the window! Yogi didn't even walk over to me after, he just sat there. Scared me to death!

13parrot

Jan 16, 2013
Pacific Northwest
Parrots
Lucy- 7 year old Sun Conure
I've been fortunate enough to not have Lucy fly into a window at a high speed. She often gets spooked by eagles and hawks or other large birds that she sees flying around outside but she just makes a bunch of noise, and if she gets really spooked, she'll fly in a few circles and land back on the perch and keep making noise.

WannaBeAParrot

Jul 5, 2012
Media
SE Florida and Sullivan County, NY
Parrots
Cody-Blu, female Blue-Crowned Conure, Hatched - (approx) June 1, 2014, in a South Florida tree.

Pritti (Cherry-Head Conure) -- Fly in Peace my beautiful boy. Forever I'll love you.
I'm glad to hear he is okay. I know how scared you were. Folks should be careful about skylights and windows really high up in vaulted ceilings. Pritti once flew straight up and in to a skylight about two stories 15" high and bounced down to the floor. He was about 10 years old at the time and didn't get hurt at all - Am sure the carpet helped. He never did anything like that again. It was the only window in that room.

Most Reactions