I hoped this day would never come...

OP
Owlet

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
my friends and family want me to cook and eat the egg... please send help

OP
Owlet

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
people kept saying apollos egg was tiny... I thought it was normal sized... then I compared it to an egg a zebra finch laid :( my girls got hecking small eggs.
1680841198779.png

OP
Owlet

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
20230408_084347.jpg

Cockatiel dummy egg on the left... her first egg on the right. It's SO tiny!!!

I put one of the dummy eggs in with her and she took to it immediately so i just added the rest in. The instructions on the dummy egg pack said to just give them a full clutch as well as a little nest... so that's what I am doing.
20230408_085429.jpg

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
The egg size varied with my hen cockatiel Sunny.
Some were bigger than others.
I don't think I took any pictures of the eggs themselves.
Let me look.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
OP
Owlet

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Seeing how good of a mother shes being it makes me just a touch sad she cant have fertile eggs D': but i also dont want baby cockatiels x'D

OP
Owlet

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Okay... I wanted to do this as soon as she laid the first egg but my anxiety was high and I had literally to no time to do it. So I just kinda shut down and haven't been doing anything but the bare minimum to get through the day. But today is a day I get off work early in the day so I had no reason to not completely redo Apollos cage like I wanted. So I pulled all the perches and toys. Moved her water location, moved her food location. Switched up which perches go where. Added brand new (to her) toys.

I don't have much hope that this will help prevent egg laying because I did this relatively recently anyways but who knows.

Today is the day of a possible egg 3. I gave her the dummy eggs the morning of egg 2 so I think it was too late to prevent that one but I'm hopeful the eggs will stop now that she has a "full nest". I left her two real eggs with the dummy eggs. I was just too scared to remove them, especially the small one because she was always relatively protective of it and I am afraid she will realize her small egg is gone and lay another egg. So she has a 9 egg nest. 7 dummies 1 tiny egg, 1 bloody egg.

She still has her vet appointment on Wednesday. Wish us luck.

On another note I accidentally crushed a (freshly laid, no development) finch egg today and I can't say I wasn't a little traumatized by that. I was trying to pick it up from the nest but I couldn't exactly see what I was doing and I guess I put too much pressure and, pop. I don't know. It didn't feel like I applied much pressure so I'm going to see about getting the finches some more calcium or something... they have access to a cuttlebone and DO eat it. They also get veggies almost everyday.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Owlet, I wish I could tell you with 100% certainty that everything will be ok with Apollo, but I can't. You, however, are an exceptionally good, observant, caring and dedicated parront so she is certainly in the very best of hands. Both my cockatiel Kang and my lorikeet Lilly would lay the odd egg with a bit of blood on it too, and as @ravvlet mentioned in your other thread it's not uncommon. I wish you both all the very best for your vet visit with her and I hope they can come up with a successful management plan for you 🙏🙏🙏

OP
Owlet

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
I'm trying to look for the best but I am so terrified that she's now gonna become a chronic egg layer. I feel like I did everything I could to prevent it but it still happened. It also doesn't help that my financial options are low right now since I just brought home that puppy. I know my parents will help me out if I need it but gosh I am really floundering here.

Work has also been chaotic and overwhelming. Non-bird home life too. I'm running myself thin here...

OP
Owlet

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
And we have egg #4.... she has 11 eggs in her cage now if you include the dummies...

OP
Owlet

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
I guess she's not getting the message from the dummy eggs. How does she think she can incubate 11 eggs!
After I rearranged her cage she stopped interacting with the eggs and left them be for the most part... was hopeful this was over especially since she didn't lay yesterday...

OP
Owlet

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
It's been almost a full week since she laid her last egg.. I never see her down with the eggs and they never look moved... should I remove them..?

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
It's been almost a full week since she laid her last egg.. I never see her down with the eggs and they never look moved... should I remove them..?
If she's ignoring them and has been for a full week I think it's time to remove them. Anyone have a better suggestion? I'd hate to trigger her to lay more but if she hasn't been brooding them . . . .

OP
Owlet

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
If she's ignoring them and has been for a full week I think it's time to remove them. Anyone have a better suggestion? I'd hate to trigger her to lay more but if she hasn't been brooding them . . . .
yeah that's what I'm scared of.... she's still contact calling quite a bit but otherwise I'm not seeing hormonal behavior...

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
yeah that's what I'm scared of.... she's still contact calling quite a bit but otherwise I'm not seeing hormonal behavior...
Just leave them if you're concerned. It can't hurt unless they get broken and make a stinky mess, I guess.

OP
Owlet

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Just leave them if you're concerned. It can't hurt unless they get broken and make a stinky mess, I guess.
except that I've read it can hurt to leave them in longer :(

Most Reactions