I lost my maggie...my sweet, goofy greenwing

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
Birdman666, there are very many of us that really need you, especially to reinforce how horrible, horrible can go! We have so many newcomers that think, 'never me', and this ignorance comes at the price of their loved one!

itzjbean

Jan 27, 2017
Media
Iowa, USA
Parrots
2 cockatiels
Birdman666, there are very many of us that really need you, especially to reinforce how horrible, horrible can go! We have so many newcomers that think, 'never me', and this ignorance comes at the price of their loved one!

That being said, Birdman666 what would you suggest to people who are interested in free flying their birds? Do you take any of your birds out for free flight since this happened? I don't wish to bring up anything you don't want to talk about but I've read so many of your posts and have the utmost respect for you. But after reading this I wonder if you had to go back to this day, given the chance, would you have chosen to do things differently, like keep Maggie on a harness rather than free fly?

Again, I mean no disrespect whatsoever, but I myself am interested in training my future birds for free flight (I love macaws, cockatoos) but after reading this post makes me reconsider it. Would you still recommend training birds for free flight? Terrified of losing a friend and feeling the same heartbreak.

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
I wasn't a member here when this happened last year but I nonetheless heard about it while doing a Google search for something and ending up on a different forum that Mark posted on. I remember how heartbreaking this was, not only for him but for everyone on the forum. I'm convinced in this situation that Maggie was found by someone who either doesn't know she belongs to Mark or just immediately decided to keep her and has never bothered to look for her owner. Being that this happened in Texas, where there is no harsh winter and there are year-round resources for a parrot to live on, combined with the fact that Maggie is a huge red bird that was very tame and would eventually just walk up to someone, I'm pretty certain that someone found her early on and selfishly decided to keep her.

My question to Itzjbean or anyone else that wants to free-fly their birds (this is a question, not a criticism) is why? I have asked this question to people before and have always gotten the answer of "Because they are birds and they should be able to fly freely like God intended" or some form of that answer. OK, I understand that, but if that's your main logic in wanting to free-fly your bird, why not do it safely on an aviator harness or using some other tethered method? I can't imagine watching one of my birds just fly away into the wild and never seeing them again. And in Maggie's instance it was a freak sound or something similar that spooked her, and because she was so well trained she tried to circle back to Mark, as she was taught to do, but then some other freak sound happened or something fell over and scared her again and only then did she take off. And this was an incredibly well-trained bird.

I certainly can't speak for Mark, but I do know he has experienced a terrible amount of pain from losing Maggie and not knowing what has happened to her or where she is. That would completely kill me.

"Dance like nobody's watching..."

itzjbean

Jan 27, 2017
Media
Iowa, USA
Parrots
2 cockatiels
I wasn't a member here when this happened last year but I nonetheless heard about it while doing a Google search for something and ending up on a different forum that Mark posted on. I remember how heartbreaking this was, not only for him but for everyone on the forum. I'm convinced in this situation that Maggie was found by someone who either doesn't know she belongs to Mark or just immediately decided to keep her and has never bothered to look for her owner. Being that this happened in Texas, where there is no harsh winter and there are year-round resources for a parrot to live on, combined with the fact that Maggie is a huge red bird that was very tame and would eventually just walk up to someone, I'm pretty certain that someone found her early on and selfishly decided to keep her.

My question to Itzjbean or anyone else that wants to free-fly their birds (this is a question, not a criticism) is why? I have asked this question to people before and have always gotten the answer of "Because they are birds and they should be able to fly freely like God intended" or some form of that answer. OK, I understand that, but if that's your main logic in wanting to free-fly your bird, why not do it safely on an aviator harness or using some other tethered method? I can't imagine watching one of my birds just fly away into the wild and never seeing them again. And in Maggie's instance it was a freak sound or something similar that spooked her, and because she was so well trained she tried to circle back to Mark, as she was taught to do, but then some other freak sound happened or something fell over and scared her again and only then did she take off. And this was an incredibly well-trained bird.

I certainly can't speak for Mark, but I do know he has experienced a terrible amount of pain from losing Maggie and not knowing what has happened to her or where she is. That would completely kill me.

"Dance like nobody's watching..."

Yes I think I heard or read on facebook that someone had called the vet in the area (San Antonio) not a day or two after and had found her, but when the vet told the person on the phone that Maggie was missing, they hung up (and presumably decided to keep the bird for themselves). It would be one thing if Maggie was out free living on her own in the sunshine, but another entirely if someone found and essentially stole her.

Now on the free-flying aspect. For me, I feel as though I am taking away that huge aspect of the bird's natural ability of flying away from them. In the wild they fly great distances and are glorious in the sky, so just keeping them in a cage/on a playstand/even on a harness on my shoulder day after day I feel as though they aren't getting what they deserve, and allowing them to fly free in the sky (much like a dog at the dog park) it would fill the void they may feel and possibly cause less behavioral problems assuing it is something they find fulfilling.

At the other end of the spectrum, I keep reading stories like Mark's, Parrot Wizard, where incredibly well-trained birds fly off, whether an accident, winds, hormones, whatever, and the owners never see them again. That in itself would be worth keeping them on their playstand, harness, day after day. I think after reading Mark's story I have changed my mind on this, though I still waver on some days. I follow an Australian bird guy on youtube (The Adventures of Roku) who multiple times a week takes his macaws and cockatoos out for free-flight at parks and they just look so happy, so glorious, and they return every time. It's quite a bit different here in Midwest USA though.

I still am very interested to hear Mark's thoughts on this now, if maybe he has changed his mind about free-flight after this heartbreak. Have any other free-fliers been through something like this?

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
HI Jackie,

Good question in general, but to make sure this thread remains true to its point, can you post the general question on one of the sub-boards? Hate to have someone with info on Maggie and have to run thru pages of non-pertinent responses. Thanks!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Maggie's disappearance has traumatized Mark and PF members like no other situation in memory. Mark has kept a low profile recently and I wish him well. I am sure he will post his thoughts if and when ready to discuss, but personally, I wouldn't create a new thread to speculate on his views. Free flight of parrots ranges from an incredibly beautiful and satisfying experience to life changing.

chad84

Mar 20, 2016
Birdman, hang in there. My green Wing Macaw has returned after being in the wilderness for 10 months. Giving this thread a bump so you have faith that you will find him. Robert has only been back for a few days after being out for months.

FlyBirdiesFly

Jul 30, 2017
Media
I would never free fly a bird. Indoor flying is enough, it gives them the freedom to fly untethered wherever they want but in an inclosed area. Now, I have never dealt with a larger parrot, and I would imagine they don't have much space to really fly indoors. I have small birds, and they love to fly around the house. I could not imagine taking them outside and watching them fly away, deep into the wilderness. If you want to take your bird outside, use a harness. If you want to give your bird flying exercise (and you should), flight train them inside your house or take them to a gym if you have a larger parrot.

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
hindsight's 20/20

Let's not pass any judgement or bring up some unwanted memories here, all that can be hoped for now is Maggie somehow found herself in a home that's half as caring as birdman's on her adventure in life, maybe somewhere more tropical.

OP
Birdman666

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
There isn't a single day that goes by where I don't miss her.

Ruby is a great bird, but Maggie is not replaceable. And I know for a fact that someone has her, and the person that has her EVEN KNEW I was looking for her...

I just hope they are treating her well.

I also know for a fact she hasn't had avian vet care, or grooming in two years, which breaks my heart. There are only two avian certified vets in San Antonio. They both know me. They both know Maggie. I'd get a call.

itzjbean

Jan 27, 2017
Media
Iowa, USA
Parrots
2 cockatiels

Ruby is a great bird, but Maggie is not replaceable. And I know for a fact that someone has her, and the person that has her EVEN KNEW I was looking for her...

I also know for a fact she hasn't had avian vet care, or grooming in two years, which breaks my heart. There are only two avian certified vets in San Antonio. They both know me. They both know Maggie. I'd get a call.

I keep praying that this person who has her takes Maggie outside and she then makes her escape back to you.

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
Birdman, hang in there. My green Wing Macaw has returned after being in the wilderness for 10 months. Giving this thread a bump so you have faith that you will find him. Robert has only been back for a few days after being out for months.

wow that is incredible. Anything known where he has been all that while. So pleased you have him back. Was he pleased to see you? :)

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.

Guess they'd take her further afield if it was necessary, none of us know who is reading this?

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)

I love both the spirit of your intent with this post and the amazing story that it tells. I hope you decide to create another thread telling us about the experience in more detail.

Mark, I too hope Maggie is being treated well wherever she is. And I'm still holding on to hope that she will somehow find her way back to you one day.

Kentuckienne

Supporting Vendor
Oct 9, 2016
Middle of nowhere (kentuckianna)
Parrots
Roommates include Gus, Blue and gold macaw rescue and Coco, secondhand amazon
Anybody who would keep Maggie probably doesn’t care about finding an avian vet. Is there an easy way to send an email blast to all the veterinarian offices? Most of them have Facebook pages now and allow anybody to post to their timelines...post a public notice on all with a picture, many folks follow their vet’s page and will share the post if asked. Surely somebody knows something...

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
you never know how far she could have flown, we all know just how far a bird like Maggie can fly in a single day and Maggie knew how to fly outside, add in the factor of a spook and she could easily get to a far off location. Assume she's being well cared for, it'll make things easier for yourself. Of course do try what others have said, there's no harm in trying.

Let's be honest too not everyone is online despite what facebook and twitter want to tell you, Maggie could easily just be with a nice family who care for her and make sure she's happy

Mariar

May 9, 2014
Clearwater Florida but grew up in Wisconsin
Parrots
Doolie,Yellow nape amazon(r.i.p.03/10/15)
Sissy,severe macaw(rescued on 03-16-15) chirpy,sparrow(beak less) jack,Jill,chase,fiona,finch, and tiger,sulfer crested(rescued 04/15/20
Aww mark,even though maggie isnt mine, i have told your story a hundred times.we all can just keep hoping and praying for good things to come.

Most Reactions

Latest posts