Media
Albums
Missouri
Parrots
Sam (GCC)
Gem (CBC)
Merry and Teechka (parakeets)
and non FIDS:
Harvey and Jed (dogs) Jolte and Churney (cats) Twister and Mac (horses) Nikolas and Aleksndr (ducks )
You have a rough time ahead of you, but at least you have a place to start. We are all pulling for you and hoping that the treatment will be effective. Bacterial Pneumonia is terrifying, but more hopeful than viral pneumonia. Keep us informed and know that parrot people, literally around the world, are holding you and your bird in our hearts and heads.

bogo1

Jun 22, 2010
Media
Albums
Missouri
Parrots
Sam (GCC)
Gem (CBC)
and non FIDS:
Harvey and Jed (dogs) Jolte and Churney (cats) Twister and Mac (horses) Nikolas and Aleksndr (ducks )
This is going to sound nuts, on my part, please correct me parrot experts... but if this were a human...not a bird ...being placed on antibiotics for 10 days for bacterial pneumonia, I would advise the human patient to also use pro-biotic yogurt to maintain normal intestine flora...bacteria. Is this something you worry about with birds??? Sorry I AM NOT A VET! I guess the vet would say something if it mattered. Probably not a bird thing and probably the last thing you should worry about right now.

Bobby34231

Jun 25, 2010
Media
Albums
Sarasota,Florida
Parrots
Quincy - Blue Throated Macaw, Skittles and Dusty - Rose Breasted Too's,
Joey - Yellow Crown Amazon, Ashley - CAG
I wish you and Hiroshi well Beilana, and will keep you in our thoughts and prayers for a speedy recovery ......

Auggie's Dad

Administrator
Dec 28, 2007
Media
Albums
South Hadley MA
Parrots
Auggie: Dusky Conure
Bogo, probiotics are just as good after a course of antibiotic treatment for a bird as they are for a human. However giving (taking) them WHILE taking antibiotics really won't do much.

It is a good recommendation, but I'd say focus on the treatment first. In most cases the normal bacterial flora could reestablish itself on its own after the antibiotic treatment has ended - but some probiotics can help ensure all the pipes are running smoothly so to speak.

(Also not a veterinarian, so ask one about appropriate pro-biotics for birds.)

wildheart

Banned
Banned
Mar 16, 2010
South Africa
I am glad you found out what is wrong! We are in the same boat with the medicine, I've been giving Sterretjie meds since the 24th and I must carry on till the 11th of Sept. It REALLY becomes hard and Hiroshi is not going to like you very much. Unless if he is used to syringes then life will be much easier.

My thoughts are with you!:(

wildheart

Banned
Banned
Mar 16, 2010
South Africa
Here is a site that explains the easiest ways to administer meds I found it very helpful.

Medicating Pet Birds Orally

The worst is as soon as you get the hang of it then Hiroshi will outsmart you and you have to start a new method all over again. I swear they sit the whole day and plan on how to avoid the meds.:(

Aussie Ben

Jun 8, 2010
Media
South Australia
:( sorry to hear that he is really sick:( Wishing you both the best

The worst is as soon as you get the hang of it then Hiroshi will outsmart you and you have to start a new method all over again. I swear they sit the whole day and plan on how to avoid the meds.:(

When I gave buddy her meds, I would always give her a big treat straight afterwards, she seemed to figure out that if she just took them she would get what she wanted :) Although, if it took more than three goes to get the meds in her mouth, she got grumpy and wouldn't have a bar of it :rolleyes:

wildheart

Banned
Banned
Mar 16, 2010
South Africa
When I gave buddy her meds, I would always give her a big treat straight afterwards, she seemed to figure out that if she just took them she would get what she wanted :) Although, if it took more than three goes to get the meds in her mouth, she got grumpy and wouldn't have a bar of it :rolleyes:

Sterretjie is not even interested in ANY treat afterwards anymore. I think it is because shes been getting meds for 14 days and twice a day already, it is getting too much now.:(

Ecclipse

Oct 24, 2009
Southern Africa
Parrots
RIP Hugo (African Brown Headed Parrot) 2 years old, lil Rosie May (Lovebird)
Am praying anf supporting you all the way, so glad your on the forum so you can chat and have the support you deserve. Im so happy that you got to the vet, your an attentive guardian who will do anything for your fid - it will pay off when the anitbiotics start working :). Keep us posted - keep your chin up. blessings, jess

HRH Di

Jan 9, 2010
Media
McKinney, TX
Parrots
Max - Alexandrine, Jade - Red-Front Macaw, Ruby - CAG
I just feel like the worst parront in the world....:(

Please don't feel that way! You're doing everything you can to make him well and I'm ure he knows it. I agree that you should call around to some vets in the area. Maybe if they won't do something pro bono, they'll let you set up a payment plan. Is there something like the SPCA in Cananda? I would think so, but don't know for sure. They could probably help.

OP
Beilana

Beilana

Jun 14, 2010
Calgary, Ab, Canada
Parrots
Chia!!!! Cinnamon GCC
Here is a site that explains the easiest ways to administer meds I found it very helpful.

Medicating Pet Birds Orally

I think your right. He really hates the syringe. He basically wants nothing to do with me anymore. When he gets better(I'm trying to be positive). It will take time to build the trust again. I gave him his antibiotics this morning. He is looking very sick, he can't even hold his wings up anymore:(

I'm sorry to hear about your fid as well. It's really heartbreaking when they get sick. Hiroshi is not interested in any treats as well. I have to syringe feed him so he will eat.:(

OP
Beilana

Beilana

Jun 14, 2010
Calgary, Ab, Canada
Parrots
Chia!!!! Cinnamon GCC
Hiroshi is gone :(:( Just after I wrote that. I went to feed him and he was gone. I'm devastated I can't even type well.

Bobby34231

Jun 25, 2010
Media
Albums
Sarasota,Florida
Parrots
Quincy - Blue Throated Macaw, Skittles and Dusty - Rose Breasted Too's,
Joey - Yellow Crown Amazon, Ashley - CAG
Although it's difficult today to see beyond the sorrow,
May looking back in memory help comfort you tomorrow

I'm sure many of us here feel your pain as if it were our own, as many of us have been where you are now, our deepest condolences for your loss :(

HRH Di

Jan 9, 2010
Media
McKinney, TX
Parrots
Max - Alexandrine, Jade - Red-Front Macaw, Ruby - CAG
Oh, no! I'm so sorry and I wish I could fix it. Please know that you did everything you could. I wish I could give you a hug.

wildheart

Banned
Banned
Mar 16, 2010
South Africa
From across the ocean I am in tears with you. I pray that God will bring a warmness over you and the understanding of what has happened and why. I am truly devastated with you, cry my friend, cry your heart out but do not cry because you could not safe him. Cry because you know he is free the way he was created to be. God only borrows these treasures to us, sometimes He let us keep them long and other times He wants them back sooner.

Hiroshi had a loving and fulfilled life, he had the pleasure of having you as his mom and he treasured every moment.

Thank you for making his borrowed time the best time he could ever have.

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
I am truly so sorry Hiroshi is on longer with you. You did whatever you possibly could, condisering your circumstances. You had great times together, forever to be treasured.
Rainbow Heaven will be a happier place, having Hiroshi sitting amongst wonderful feathered friends, never to be forgotten.

Ecclipse

Oct 24, 2009
Southern Africa
Parrots
RIP Hugo (African Brown Headed Parrot) 2 years old, lil Rosie May (Lovebird)
Dear Beilena, I lost Hugo 2 months ago and he had the same symptoms. I know that at a time like this the devastation and grief is overwhelming. I know what your going through but dont know how you feel. The forum was a place where I could express my grief and everyone was so supportive, this is the place to be for happy and sad times. Hugo suffered with the virus for 10 months and after nebulsing weekly at the vets, numorous antibiotics and hours of trying desperatly to do something he passed when I was away. When I read your plea for advice and help it took me back to those months when I first found the forum, I was desperate for someone to tell me everything was going to be ok. They did more than that, they became part of my life.

I write to you not through sorrow for my past memories but as someone who will stand with you and support you all the way. Your not alone, we are all here, especially me. Im am so sorry that Hiroshi didnt make it, I fancy Hiroshi and Hugo flying high in the sky waiting for us to come to heaven one day where they will be waiting for us - what a good day that will be!

May God give you strenght and courage as He did me...

bogo1

Jun 22, 2010
Media
Albums
Missouri
Parrots
Sam (GCC)
Gem (CBC)
and non FIDS:
Your grief will ease...though you can't fathom it now...it will ease and let you remember the before times. But for now, know that we all are holding our hearts out to you. We can't lessen your pain but we can remind you that you are surrounded 24/7 (as the world turns) by people who understand the love one can have for a feathered friend and the loss generated when they leave us.

Most Reactions