I'm so worried :-( whats wrong with Chewie?!

Gingerchezy

Jul 21, 2012
England
Parrots
GCC: Chewie
Hey everyone,

I'm really worried that theres something wrong with my gcc Chewie, yesterday I noticed some of her feathers on her wing were all ruffly. It looks like she's overpreening them, one of them is broken off and just sticking up :-(

She seems to be doing it on both wings, kind of on the top edge near her back. Its like she's ripping at them, and pulling chunks off.

She's got new feathers growing underneath, it seems like she's continually molting! Could it just be that they're itching? Or is it likely to be something a bit more worrying... I can't get to the vet til Sunday because of work but I'm so scared that she'll need to be seen before then.

Arrgh! :-( does anyone have any ideas? Am I just over reacting again? I'm so worried for her, I love my little Chewie to bits.

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Boomer (Sun Conure 9 yrs), Pewpew (Budgie 5 yrs), Ulap (Budgie 2 yrs), Eight & Kiki (Beloved Budgies, RIP)
Sorry to hear this is happening! Is it isolated to the wings, what about under the wings, chest or legs? Is Chewy clipped?

Could you take pics?

Wings

Jun 14, 2013
Ohio
Parrots
Budgie, "Julie"
I'm no expert but it seems as if something is irritating her. maybe she has a tick or mites. Ticks and mites are very prominent this year, so don't blame yourself. I suggest giving her a bath. Afterwards, observe if there are any abnormal bumps, or any little black dots crawling around. Do this while she is wet so you can get a better look. If she does have ticks, try and take her to the vet as soon as you can. I would recommend taking off of work telling your boss it is a "domestic emergency" and you will be back into work after your vet appointment. It is most likely not life threatening but taking her to the vet sooner would help, although sunday can be done. Hope I helped! If you can find a tick spray with PYRETHRINS in it not PERMETHRIN you should be fine. When you get the spray, at least call your vet, list off ingredients used and the brand to make sure it is safe.

Last edited:

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
1 green cheek conure (Kumar)
2 male budgies (Charlie and Diego)
Most parrots are in some stage of moulting now, and if you're seeing new feathers underneath that would explain the itchy skin. Make sure he has access to baths, then just see what your vet says. Please do not spray him for mites or anything like that as it can be very harmful. Just make sure he has access to baths. They look raggedy when they're moulting, and it can take months. But check with the vet and see what they say.

OP
G

Gingerchezy

Jul 21, 2012
England
Parrots
GCC: Chewie
Hello again :) thankyou for all your advice! I've just called the vet, and we have an appointment on monday. I'll just keep a very close eye on her over the next few days. I really do hope its something easier like mites or just itchy new feathers, and not because she's feeling sad :-(

Most Reactions

Latest posts