In or out?

ParrotLover2001

Dec 20, 2016
In my parents house
Parrots
A cockatiel, a bourke, and three budgies
Is it best to hand tame a bird in the cage, or out of the cage? I didn't have to hand tame any of my birds because they were all hand raised. But my new lovebird (also hand rasied) is scared of new people. So I'm going to re hand tame her/him, She/he seems more comfortable around me while out of the cage. but I was wondering if it's best to do it while the bird is in the cage, or out of the cage.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
I don't know how you'd tame a bird inside... the inside is sorta their territory and safe spot. I think you would need to demonstarte your friendliness through the bars or just dropping treats in. Get the bird very comfy with your nearness... eventually get him to stick his head out and eventually be brave enough to venture outside for the treat... inch by inch or even 1/4 by 1/4 inch. I would think that THEN you'd start hand-training... aiming for a step-up for the treat, etc. I bet others here will have ideas!

Notdumasilook

Jul 28, 2015
Charlotte, NC
Parrots
Blue Fronted Amazon, Cookie..Sun Conure..lil Booger (RIP) Have owned Parakeets, lovebirds, cockatiels, cockatoos, pocket parrot, and quakers.
Actually both... but note that some birdies will get territorial when sticking hands inside their cages. Ive got some really sweet youngins but they can object if I just go shoving my hand inside their cages. Hence Im respectful when I reach inside an occupied cage.

Most Reactions

Latest posts