Johnny's being mean

Galah

Nov 28, 2012
South Africa
Parrots
Just Johnny, a Rose Breasted Cockatoo (Galah)
I don't know what to do

I'v been trying to tame Johnny, my rose breasted cockatoo, but every time we start making progress someone in our household walks past. They are about 2 meters away but he would still freak out and throw a tantrum, most of the times he would bite me. (He hates just about everyone but me.) Then all our progress is for not.
I can't move to another area of the house, because it'll be too foreign for Johnny and I want to take it slow with him. Besides every part of the house has someone in it most of the time.
I've talked to everyone in our household begging that they stay clear of Johnny when I'm working with him but it's hard. His cage is close to the kitchen and the living-room.

How would I stop his outbursts? He's three years old, I don't know if his age would make it harder to get him to tolerate their presences. Any advice appreciated.

Last edited:
OP
Galah

Galah

Nov 28, 2012
South Africa
Parrots
I think it all comes down to fear.
I've been doing research and came across a free video on youtube of birdtricks.com. It was of a training method called 'power pause'. I had my brother try it and Johnny allowed him to approach with his hand right next to his head. My brother didn't manage to touch him but from Johnny lunging at him even if he's on the other side of the room to standing close with his hand next to Johnny's head- it was remarkable.

ann

Feb 18, 2011
USA
Parrots
1 nanday conure Black Jack, 1 Brotogeris parakeet Whiff, 1 ring neck dove Eliza, and 6 society finches (3 are tame). RIP my parent pairs of societies and my little gouldian finches
i think you should continue working with the power pause and clicker train him. spend time with him by reading to him, talking, singing and sharing bird safe food. share bits of whole wheat pasta cooked in unsalted water and eat it together. feed it to him with your fingers to build trust. you can use treats to coax him to step up. first just relax and feed him a few treats. then put the treats on top of your hand so he has to touch your hand to get it. next hold the treat so he has to put one foot on your hand to reach it, and eventually so he has to put two feet on. keep training sessions short, around 10-15 minutes. get you family to include him and have them sit and read to him or talk to him so he feels included and less afraid of them. make sure he gets plenty of sleep and lots of toys to play with. have him out on a play stand while your family sits in the living room. show your family videos of friendly cockatoos and show them johnny could be like that if they let you train him in peace. however, even though he is afraid of them, try to get Johnny to like your family so he doesn't flip out when they walk by. set aside special time when your family knows not to interrupt or come up with a schedule. once johnny makes more progress bring another family member into the training and slowly incorporate the rest of your family until they can all have him do basic commands and socialize with him. good luck and keep up the good work :)!

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Are you able to train him in your bedroom.
There you are able to stop anyone from entering.
If you are able to, let him familiarise himself, in your bedroom, before you begin training.

Good luck

OP
Galah

Galah

Nov 28, 2012
South Africa
Parrots
Second storey room, he's afraid of his play stand as well and my room had too many distractions. There are electric wires and my drum kit- it won't work there. Besides I have to walk past everyone (past kitchen) to reach my room.
But thanks for the advice, I'll move him to my room after he's a bit more tame.

Lintini

May 5, 2012
Bay Area California
Parrots
Margret-Mealy Amazon 28 (family parrot), Petri- Peach Front Conure 4, Chloe- Congo African Grey 24 and Rio- Blue Crown Conure 4 !! :D
It really helped me when I adopted my CAG Chloe who is 23 to have her in my room. I am in here a lot doing homework, playing computer games or watching tv. I share a lot of my food with her, she loves it when I have noodles and my tofu hotdogs...lol Veggie platters are fun to share with her and my rabbits too. She wasn't handled in ~15 years and it has been really nice to have her close to me. She watches me all the time and has now started talking in my voice, which is way less creepy than sounding like my aunt. If you are in your room a lot, I think it would greatly benefit your relationship and you won't have to deal with your family distracting the both of you.

When you said there are wires and such, I am sure in every room in your house you have wires, do you let Johnny fly or roam around the floor or something? If you are working on bonding with him you should be watching him so him getting into something or getting hurt shouldn't be a worry? There are things all over my house that my birds could ruin but when they come out they are supervised. You can't "parrot proof" your room in anyway? My situation might be different too since I have dogs and cats to worry about.

OP
Galah

Galah

Nov 28, 2012
South Africa
Parrots
Thanks Lintini, I have actually 'parrot proofed' my room recently. I took Johnny to my room and he was more relaxed. We've made progress already.
JaxAttack I'm from Gauteng.

Lintini

May 5, 2012
Bay Area California
Parrots
Margret-Mealy Amazon 28 (family parrot), Petri- Peach Front Conure 4, Chloe- Congo African Grey 24 and Rio- Blue Crown Conure 4 !! :D
Yay!! That is great news!! :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts