July 2019 POTM Contest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Pardon the dark picture... let me explain. This is the Rickeybird, who is approximately 35 years, two months, and 2 days old at this writing. He moved in with his hen there at about three months of age. I barged in on them about 25 years ago. Ever since then, I'm pretty sure that his favorite time of day is the half-hour or so before nightfall (bedtime) when the two of them commandeer my Lazyboy for their nightly pillowtalk or whatever you call it.
Beautiful entries so far. Thanks for a great opportunity to share them all, Allee.
rrZd2be.png

"He moved in with his hen...."

Ahahahahahahahahahahah!!!!!!
:jumping40:jumping40

OP
Allee

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Amazing posts, its lining up to be an amazing and emotional month.
I'm loving reading all the stories, young and old, and after a little bit of time has helped heal my broken heart after loosing Paris (my old timer Galah), I'm back on the forums and so happy to return!

My official entry:
Sunny is 16 years young. He is the only bird I have actually purchased (being a wildlife rehabber, and a push over, all the other feathered residents are either rescues or surrenders).
I bought him from a local breeder when I first moved to Australia from Ireland, he was dirty, covered in formula and his wings and tail had been cut "to make him look cuter"!! Lets just say, she was shut down soon after I had gotten him out of there.
Sunny's favorite time of the day is after breakfast and before I go to work. Sunny takes this time to snuggle in my t-shirt whilst I drink my morning coffee, while on the computer, in typical Conure fashion.
Sunny is my little dude, he and I have our routine down pat and he is a loving little parrot. We know each others moods and quirks and just like spending time in each others company.

carolinebradley-albums-july-potm-picture21527-st-sunny-sml.jpg

Just for fun:
This is his fav spot.. tee shirt snuggles:
carolinebradley-albums-july-potm-picture21526-down-shirt.jpg

:orange: :orange: :orange: :orange: :orange: :orange: :orange: :orange:

Deepest condolences for your loss of your sweet Paris, too many of us understand too well that time can help to heal but can never fill the empty space. I’m glad you’ve returned to the forums and so pleased to see the handsome Sunny’s entry photo, he is stunning. I’m not sure how you chose between those two pics, I love them both. Sunny’s story is as sweet as his photos. Thank you for sharing a beautiful journey.

OP
Allee

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Pardon the dark picture... let me explain. This is the Rickeybird, who is approximately 35 years, two months, and 2 days old at this writing. He moved in with his hen there at about three months of age. I barged in on them about 25 years ago. Ever since then, I'm pretty sure that his favorite time of day is the half-hour or so before nightfall (bedtime) when the two of them commandeer my Lazyboy for their nightly pillowtalk or whatever you call it.
Beautiful entries so far. Thanks for a great opportunity to share them all, Allee.
rrZd2be.png

Oh Rival, I always look forward to your contributions and you never disappoint! Fabulous yet mysterious shot of a very rare bird with his chosen human. Seriously though, do they know you posted this tabloid pic? You know they’ll make you pay! You may never sit in your recliner again!

Camila the Conure. Just celebrated her first birthday.

df0fd7e944ea2e7734faf3415524b06a.jpg

Happy Belated Birthday, Camila! She is an absolute darling! Another charming bird that loves bath time. Thank you for sharing Camila’s photo, best of luck.

CarolineBradley

Jun 28, 2018
Queensland Australia
Parrots
Sunny (Sun Conure):
Keito (GC Conure):
Paris (RB cockatoo/Galah)
Picaro (Nanday) RIP
Deepest condolences for your loss of your sweet Paris, too many of us understand too well that time can help to heal but can never fill the empty space. I’m glad you’ve returned to the forums and so pleased to see the handsome Sunny’s entry photo, he is stunning. I’m not sure how you chose between those two pics, I love them both. Sunny’s story is as sweet as his photos. Thank you for sharing a beautiful journey.

Thank you, I'm no longer sobbing but smiling when I find a feather of dear Paris'.. I worked hard (cognitively speaking) to get all the grief out there early and unashamedly. Then worked on the memories and trying to find joy in just having the time and opportunity to know that beautiful soul in the first place while mourning her loss.
Having an intuitive parrot like Sunny helps.

CarolineBradley

Jun 28, 2018
Queensland Australia
Parrots
Sunny (Sun Conure):
Keito (GC Conure):
Paris (RB cockatoo/Galah)
Picaro (Nanday) RIP
Sounds like you rescued him too-just a different route. He’s DARLING.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think sometimes he rescued me, I was very lonely in a new country with no family around for thousands of miles, with a husband working up to 2 months overseas at a time.
Suddenly Sunny, then my days got brighter... that's how he got his name- nothing to do with him being a Sun Conure, but I thought the double pun was funny ;)

Smerft85

Jun 10, 2019
Colorful Colorado with colorful birds
Parrots
6 budgies, 3 cockatiels, 1 amazon and two Indian ringnecks
20190710_230718.jpg

Official entry!

This is Branch, I was told when I got him that he was about 8 months old, I believe him to be at least 12-14 months old currently. I have had him only a few months, and he was our first bird (as adults), he was acquired thru trade from our local and very small pet store, is unbanded, and I believe with all my heart I was likely the first person to ever truly give him any human interaction.

When I chose him, he was the only one that didn't fully back away or avoid me by all means necessary, and seeing as I've known the store owner for over 20 years, I was the one to open the cage, retrieve him without letting the others out, and recieved one heck of a bite drawing blood.

He has come a very long way in a very short time, in such ways as going from aggressive and untouchable, to enjoying head scratches and mimicking speach, wolf whistling, and singing to both his humans, as well as his girlfriend. I had gone thru roughly 2 months worth of bites, hisses, and him busting his wings open on his cage, and an all around scared bird. All my efforts of being hands on every day, talking to him every time I'm near, including him for meals, and my morning coffee (No I don't share!) And improving his cage conditions have molded him into a fantastic companion, even though all the chips were against him. I'm looking forward to many, many years with him, and the closer bond along the way.

OP
Allee

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots

Thank you, I'm no longer sobbing but smiling when I find a feather of dear Paris'.. I worked hard (cognitively speaking) to get all the grief out there early and unashamedly. Then worked on the memories and trying to find joy in just having the time and opportunity to know that beautiful soul in the first place while mourning her loss.
Having an intuitive parrot like Sunny helps.

Sounds like you rescued him too-just a different route. He’s DARLING.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think sometimes he rescued me, I was very lonely in a new country with no family around for thousands of miles, with a husband working up to 2 months overseas at a time.
Suddenly Sunny, then my days got brighter... that's how he got his name- nothing to do with him being a Sun Conure, but I thought the double pun was funny ;)

That is a wonderful tribute to Paris, so well said and intuitive. I’m glad Paris left you a collection of lovely memories.

Sunny’s story makes me smile, I’m so happy you found each other. Love the double pun.

OP
Allee

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
View attachment 22739

Official entry!

This is Branch, I was told when I got him that he was about 8 months old, I believe him to be at least 12-14 months old currently. I have had him only a few months, and he was our first bird (as adults), he was acquired thru trade from our local and very small pet store, is unbanded, and I believe with all my heart I was likely the first person to ever truly give him any human interaction.

When I chose him, he was the only one that didn't fully back away or avoid me by all means necessary, and seeing as I've known the store owner for over 20 years, I was the one to open the cage, retrieve him without letting the others out, and recieved one heck of a bite drawing blood.

He has come a very long way in a very short time, in such ways as going from aggressive and untouchable, to enjoying head scratches and mimicking speach, wolf whistling, and singing to both his humans, as well as his girlfriend. I had gone thru roughly 2 months worth of bites, hisses, and him busting his wings open on his cage, and an all around scared bird. All my efforts of being hands on every day, talking to him every time I'm near, including him for meals, and my morning coffee (No I don't share!) And improving his cage conditions have molded him into a fantastic companion, even though all the chips were against him. I'm looking forward to many, many years with him, and the closer bond along the way.

Thank you for sharing Branch’s delightful story, you’ve made excellent progress in a very short time. I hope the strong bonds you’ve formed will continue to grow for many years. Fantastic entry photo of a beautiful bird with a favorite human.

Rival_of_the_Rickeybird

2x Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jul 31, 2016
Ohio
Parrots
None. My wife has one too many. Kidding!
My over-the-shoulder wife now directs me to inform you that your bird is good looking and that you resemble Robert Downey Jr. Yes, dear. :)

MerlinsMom

Jul 4, 2019
Sunny Florida
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw
Newbie here - is it too late to post a submission?

This is Merlin - he is 19 years old - I rescued him a month ago. And his favorite time of the day is when he gets to play with all his toys on the counter.

He is spoiled rotten already and I just love watching him play!
PS! Those are Pine Nuts in the prescription bottle - if he ever gets it open.

Attachments

• 2019-07-12 (1).jpg
    2019-07-12 (1).jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 88
  • 2019-07-12.jpg
    2019-07-12.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 84

Smerft85

Jun 10, 2019
Colorful Colorado with colorful birds
Parrots
6 budgies, 3 cockatiels, 1 amazon and two Indian ringnecks
My over-the-shoulder wife now directs me to inform you that your bird is good looking and that you resemble Robert Downey Jr. Yes, dear. :)

If this was for me, please tell your over-the-shoulder wife I said thank you from us both very much! I'm usually told I look like Eminem or "jax" from sons of anarchy, so that one is a first! I'm cool with iron man! :D

OP
Allee

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots

This is Merlin - he is 19 years old - I rescued him a month ago. And his favorite time of the day is when he gets to play with all his toys on the counter.

MerlinsMom, the contest is open for submissions through July 28. Thank you for rescuing this gorgeous fellow! He looks like he’s having a great time and he looks very comfortable in his new home after only a month.

Which of the two photos do you want to use for your official entry? Only one photo per contestant.

Last edited:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon

Great photos!!!
Just a bit of a concern regarding using prescription bottles. I would be concern regarding teaching a Parrot that a treat could be found within such a bottle. I would suggest that one uses a different type of bottle. Just my two cents.

MerlinsMom

Jul 4, 2019
Sunny Florida
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw

MerlinsMom, the contest is open for submissions through July 28. Thank you for rescuing this gorgeous fellow! He looks like he’s having a great time and he looks very comfortable in his new home after only a month.

Which of the two photos do you want to use for your official entry? Only one photo per contestant.

Let's use the one with the prescription bottle. You can see his little mind working.
Thank you

MerlinsMom

Jul 4, 2019
Sunny Florida
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw

Great photos!!!
Just a bit of a concern regarding using prescription bottles. I would be concern regarding teaching a Parrot that a treat could be found within such a bottle. I would suggest that one uses a different type of bottle. Just my two cents.

Good point. Very good point. Although my daily prescriptions stay in my bathroom cabinet, which hes not allowed in there - but you never know when something weird might happen. Going to find another option.

CallumConure

Apr 10, 2019
Central Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Callum- GCC Hatchday: October 15th, 2016
(nonparrot friends include rats, a dog, and a few reptiles :))
Ah, I'm late! Life got hectic. I'll have to see if I can get a picture of Callum giving me kisses lol. That's not his favorite activity, his favorite activity is staring at me to get up and out of bed, and then screaming at me when he notices I'm groggily looking at him lol
(He sleeps in my bedroom, but he is let out of his cage all day and follows me around the house. It's just me and my grandma and my grandma works most of the time, and I'm a recluse, so I stay in my room most of the day, which is where Callum always gravitates towards. So, the most human activity tends to be in my room with me.)

Unfortunately, staring at you and then screaming does not translate very well into a picture, so we'll go with sweet kisses :p

Ellie777Australia

Apr 12, 2019
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
SI Eclectus Female, Ellie; RS/SI Eclectus Male, Bertie (both adopted as rescue/re-home)

Let's use the one with the prescription bottle. You can see his little mind working.
Thank you

Merlin looks adorable indeed. However, I would concur with Sailboat in that the prescription bottle may not be appropriate due to risk of association with the real McCoy. How about another photo like this with a different foot toy since he is so cute in this pose?

OP
Allee

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
Ah, I'm late! Life got hectic. I'll have to see if I can get a picture of Callum giving me kisses lol. That's not his favorite activity, his favorite activity is staring at me to get up and out of bed, and then screaming at me when he notices I'm groggily looking at him lol
(He sleeps in my bedroom, but he is let out of his cage all day and follows me around the house. It's just me and my grandma and my grandma works most of the time, and I'm a recluse, so I stay in my room most of the day, which is where Callum always gravitates towards. So, the most human activity tends to be in my room with me.)

Unfortunately, staring at you and then screaming does not translate very well into a picture, so we'll go with sweet kisses :p

Looking forward to Callum’s entry but I think I’d like to see Callum’s favorite activity. Parrots have a wicked glare when dealing with uncooperative humans. Of course, kisses are always nice too.

OP
Allee

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots

Great photos!!!

Thank you, Steven. You bring up a very good point.

Great photos!!!

Good point. Very good point. Although my daily prescriptions stay in my bathroom cabinet, which hes not allowed in there - but you never know when something weird might happen. Going to find another option.

MerlinsMom, thank you. I agree, a new entry will be better. Merlin is very photogenic, I’m sure he’ll give you lots of great photo ops.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most Reactions