Jumping conure?

jethrosgreencheeks

Jun 3, 2018
Hello! I am a new parrot parent. I got my three month old green cheek conure Jethro yesterday! Heā€™s a wonderful bird, so cuddly and gentle. I got him with his wings clipped. Iā€™ve noticed when I let him out to play, when he wants to get to me heā€™ll try to fly (which is more like jumping while flapping his wings) and I was wondering if that was okay? Iā€™m just worried itā€™s straining or that he could get hurt.

And is there anyway to discourage him from climbing certain places on me? I donā€™t mind him on me but he has a habit of sitting on the back of my neck and Iā€™d just like to be able to see him.

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Boomer (Sun Conure 9 yrs), Pewpew (Budgie 5 yrs), Ulap (Budgie 2 yrs), Eight & Kiki (Beloved Budgies, RIP)
Welcome to the forum and to the wonderful and crazy world of parrot keeping!

If his wings are clipped short, make sure to reach out to him with your finger before he even attempts the jump. If he does not get a good hold of you, he could fall and injure himself. If your household and situation allows to keep him flighted later, this is best. This depends on your circumstances of course.

For now, just reach out to him so he doesn't try to jump. You can tell he wants to be on you if he leans forward and maybe stretches his wings a little. Start training him with the 'step up' and 'stay' command so that you have a better time anticipating each other's actions and intentions. Check out the Training section of this forum for helpful information. Try also the search box for topics in step up training.

Best of luck to you and enjoy your new adventures with Jethro!

Most Reactions