Ladies & Gentlemen......introducing WINGNUT!!

Gizmomania

Banned
Banned
Aug 25, 2012
San Diego
Parrots
Duskies: Gizmo & Niko, hatched 3/12 & 5/12; pineapple GCC: Skittles, 5/10/13; Pan Am: Harley, 1/27/13; CAG: Maalik, 7/27/13; Eclectus: Ziggy, 4/4/04; BHC: Walter 6 y; baby Jardine's: Bogart-May!
Love the name! He's adorable! Congrats!

Mike17

Aug 12, 2013
Media
Albums
Outback Western Australia
Parrots
Alex- Eclectus, Ariel- whiteface, Junior- pied, Custard-lutino, Ziggy- pearl cockatiels, Kermit- Princess parrot, Jade- Plumhead parrot, George- budgie, Coco- Rainbow lorikeet, Corey-Little Corella.
Also, Mike 17, I've been fortunate enough to have visited your beautiful country twice (so far) and I have to say, you truly live in one of the worlds most lovely places. From the natural beauty, the culture, to the people, I love everything about Australia!

Fantastic... hope you come back again. Have you been to Tasmania? Not that I live there myself, yet, but love it. What does your boyfriend do in the Navy? I'm ex-RAN myself, and spent a bit of time with USN sailors when in port (mainly Pearl Harbor, plus one visit to San Diego).

Wingnut is beautiful! I can't find why Military Macaws were named thus... does anyone know? The flamboyant colours reminiscent of Napoleonic era uniforms perhaps?

Last edited:

Mirren

Dec 5, 2013
NSW south coast, Australia
Parrots
Bo the Hahn's macaw.
Cosmo the Eclectus.
Cockatiels Artie and Fergus.
Smurfette the blue Quaker.
He's so cute. Wingnut is also a nickname for a pilot, because they're nuts over anything with wings...or something. My dad is one.

Mike17

Aug 12, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Alex- Eclectus, Ariel- whiteface, Junior- pied, Custard-lutino, Ziggy- pearl cockatiels, Kermit- Princess parrot, Jade- Plumhead parrot, George- budgie, Coco- Rainbow lorikeet, Corey-Little Corella.
He's so cute. Wingnut is also a nickname for a pilot, because they're nuts over anything with wings...or something. My dad is one.

I see you're on NSW south coast, Mirren. I spent quite a bit of time at Nowra, at HMAS Albatross, since my branch in Navy was HQ'd there (naval aviation- weather). Back in the day, there were heaps of fixed-wing aircraft there, now it's just a helicopter base. Plus, some of my family came from around there... guess some are still there :)

I'd never heard the wingnut thing applied to pilots... if they flew Skyhawks we just called them jet-jockeys.

RockysMom

Jan 21, 2013
Michigan
Parrots
Rocky...Yellow Crown Amazon....

Smokey Congo Grey....

Shamrock Male Eclectus.......

Baby Female Congo Grey.....
Cookie.....Aztec Conure
love the name what a pretty birdie

OP
BirdyMomma

BirdyMomma

Aug 4, 2013
Long Beach, NY
Parrots
Lilac Crowned Amazon (Bacci- Forever on my shoulder, forever in my heart.)
Yellow Collared Macaw (Loki the Monkey Bird)
Military Macaw (Wingnut)
Citron Crested Cockatoo
(Knuckles)
Yes Mike, I have been to Tazmania! It was one of the places I most looked forward to going when I went to Australia. I rented a car, and spent 5 days driving around. I stayed in Hobart, but visited Port Arthur, Bicheno, Launceston and even went to the top of Mount Wellington! I have read pretty much every book I could ever get my hands on, written about the history of Australia. The Fatal Shore is my favorite. I really want to bring my boyfriend to Australia, as between parrots & scuba diving, he will never want to leave!
Up until recently, my boyfriends job in the navy revolved around educating the military forces of third world countries on how to protect themselves in times of unrest. (vague, I know). His area of operations was HOA, or Horn of Africa, so you can imagine what they were really concerned with over there. His unit was recently disbanded, so I don't know what he will do next.

Mike17

Aug 12, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Yes Mike, I have been to Tazmania! It was one of the places I most looked forward to going when I went to Australia. I rented a car, and spent 5 days driving around. I stayed in Hobart, but visited Port Arthur, Bicheno, Launceston and even went to the top of Mount Wellington! I have read pretty much every book I could ever get my hands on, written about the history of Australia. The Fatal Shore is my favorite. I really want to bring my boyfriend to Australia, as between parrots & scuba diving, he will never want to leave!
Up until recently, my boyfriends job in the navy revolved around educating the military forces of third world countries on how to protect themselves in times of unrest. (vague, I know). His area of operations was HOA, or Horn of Africa, so you can imagine what they were really concerned with over there. His unit was recently disbanded, so I don't know what he will do next.

Fantastic! We're going to Tassie in March. Our place is 50km north of Launceston, George Town (spelled thus, named for the name George all the other Georgetowns are named after :)), actually it's the thrid oldest town in Australia after Sydney and Hobart. Nice small town on the water.

Your boyfriend's work sounds pretty hush-hush. Mine is and was the opposite (it's internationally cooperative): weather.

legal_eagle

Banned
Banned
Feb 28, 2013
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure Pee-Wee
I am always so impressed by the names that folks on here come up with for their parrots. Yours is a perfect example!

TreeBee

Jul 13, 2013
Media
Crestview Florida
Parrots
Goffin Cockatoo (Silas)
Congo African Grey (Banjo)
Yellow Naped Amazon (Aurora)
B & G Macaw ( Marley )
Scarlet Macaw ( Phoenix )
Congrats on your new Baby!!! Love the Name!

Most Reactions