Looks like I'm adopting an Eclectus............

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
11 month old Senegal Parrot - 3 year old SI Eclectus
Here's the deal. A lady has a 3 year old male Eclectus, which had bonded with her husband, who passed away 4 months ago. So the lady had to start back to work and for financial reasons had to sell the house and has a month to move into an apartment. So my wife asked if I would consider taking in her Eclectus.

It seems that the Eclectus used to stay out of his cage all day since her husband worked from home. But since he passed away, she has had to lock him in his cage for 8-10 hours a day. He has since started plucking feathers from the inside of his thighs and chewing his tail feathers and some of his and some of his wing feathers.

I'm a soft heart for a sad story so eventhough my wife wasn't really wanting another bird until after I finished my medical treatments, we agreed to a meet and greet yesterday afternoon. When the owner showed up with her Eclectus "Mac" she opened up the cage and he came right out to me and on my shoulder he went.

Mac started rubbing his face up against my cheek cooing like we were long lost pals. The owner said that I was about the same height and size as her husband and I was wearing a white T-****, which he always did as well. I introduced him to Tiki our Senegal and they seemed to get along fine, but I wanted to limit their contact since it is a new bird.

We spend like 2 hours together chatting and the whole time Mac was either on me or near me watching every move I made. At one point, he climbed over my chest to my face and pressed his beak up to my lips making those cute little kissing sounds. When it came time to go, he didn't seem to want to leave. I joked with the owner, by saying "Ok, how much did you pay him to do that". She said she was shocked because he usually wasn't that friendly to strangers and would take a little bit to warm up to.

But either way, I really liked Mac, I've never been around Eclectus's and the only one I had ever seen was at the Flea market and it was a female and would act like she wanted to rip your arm off and beat you with it if you got to close.

So I told her that I would take him in if she truely wanted to let him go. She said she had come to the conclusion when she saw him with me that it was a match made in heaven. But I told her to take the week and make sure. So she emailed me this morning and said yes, she wants me to adopt him. So I said OK, I will go and pick him and his cage & belongs up Sunday. She is going to have him groomed Saturday because his nails were a bit long.

Sorry for the long post. That's my story and I'm stickin to it ahahahahaha.

Sad thing is, I was hoping for my next bird to be an Amazon and I had one within sight. But it seems just when you think you have things figured out, life throws you a curve ball every time.

Oh, I almost forgot, here is Mac, these were taking during our meet and greet

Mike

Last edited:
OP
mtdoramike

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
Oh, I also forgot to mention, there was no adoption or re-homing fee. She just wanted him to be in a good home.

Molcan2

Jul 19, 2011
Lake Co., Florida
Parrots
Princess Rome- Moluccan Cockatoo (18yrs old), Rosie - Galah/Rose Breasted Cockatoo (2yr old)
Hes beautiful! Congrats on your new family member. Its funny how things work out sometimes. I had my sights set on a Grey, and I ended up covering a shift for someone at work last minute and ended up with my Romeo. Sometimes fate kinda steps in and says 'this is what you are meant to have,' then hands it to you. He sounds sweet, I'm happy for you :D. I'm sure he is going to love his new home.

suebee

Jan 13, 2011
awww congrats mike!!!!! so glad you was about to give this ekkie a new home, another spoilt bird eh??

i can kinda foresee your next post???

*considering getting a third bird!!!!! lol

birdmama61

Apr 13, 2011
I always say God puts us where he needs us when he needs us to be there . This would very much apply to your sittuation as well . Congrats on the new family member and I hope Mac and you have many long yrs together . Yeah I was thinking a bigger bird too but Alex was needing a home and gotta love the quakers . Such big personalities in little green suits .

birdmama61

Apr 13, 2011
awww congrats mike!!!!! so glad you was about to give this ekkie a new home, another spoilt bird eh??

Yeah mike definatly has MBS= multiple bird syndrome LOL !!!!

ann

Feb 18, 2011
USA
Parrots
1 nanday conure Black Jack, 1 Brotogeris parakeet Whiff, 1 ring neck dove Eliza, and 6 society finches (3 are tame). RIP my parent pairs of societies and my little gouldian finches
the story breaks my heart but it also warms it hearing how well he took to you! it sounds like you will have many great years together! looks like tikis got some competition and a new friend! best wishes!

OP
mtdoramike

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots

Yeah mike definatly has MBS= multiple bird syndrome LOL !!!!

hahahahahahaha Yep, that's me for sure. I wish I could adopt all of them but my wife Rosalie brings me back to reality quick, fast and in a hurry.

OP
mtdoramike

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
the story breaks my heart but it also warms it hearing how well he took to you! it sounds like you will have many great years together! looks like tikis got some competition and a new friend! best wishes!

I know what you mean, I had been asked to consider taking Mac a few weeks ago. But I had just started a regimen of cardiac treatments for the next several weeks and was kind of holding off on it. But I had been thinking about Mac, talking to my wife about it because I thing most folks on here know that my dream bird has been an Amazon. But whether it be fate or just my soft heart stepped in, when the owner called me Saturday and said she just sold her house and was having to move out by the end of the month and asked me to at least meet Mac.

I knew that once I met him, that would be it, and it was. Her husband passed away of a sudden heart attack. I think Mac has just been so depressed from the loss that he has started taking it out on his feathers. The owner told me if for any reason it doesn't work out, she will take Mac back and just try and make it work.

This was a very hard decision for her to make. This is one of those re-homing situations that I can truely say was for the best interest of the bird. Yes' I have to agree with you, it is one of those sad situations that hopefully will turn out great in the end.

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Merlin & Charlie (Senegals)
Sounds like he's gotten a good home, hope you email the lady with occasonal updates about him! It's heartbreaking having to let a loved pet go, but I'm really glad he's taken to you so well!

merlinsmom13

Jul 27, 2010
Beckley, WV
Parrots
Merlin a Red Crowned Amazon
Wow, what a beautiful guy. I love ekkies. I bet you are reading up on diet. If you start eating like Mac, you won't need cardio treatments. lol Congrats.

ps I hope Tiki has found a good friend.

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
Mac and Mike = a good pair. Now it is Mike, Mac & Tiki. If Mac was not exposed to other birds you will not have to quarantine, at least that is what my avain vet told me about Cricket. Are you getting a new cage or is Mac coming with his house? Life has smiled on you and Mac. We all celebrate you joy.

Last edited:
OP
mtdoramike

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
Mac and Mike = a good pair. Now it is Mike, Mac & Tiki. If Mac was not exposed to other birds you will not have to quarantine, at least that is whay my avain vet told me about Cricket. Are you getting a new cage or is Mac coming with his house? Life has smiled on you and Mac. We all celebrate you joy.

He's coming with a HUGE 30x40 inch cage the height is like 73 inches tall. He also has a bird play stand as well. So nothing out of pocket for me at present. But I will schedule a vet visit for him and also get his wings clipped by the mobile bird groomers. He hasn't had any new toys for a few months, so I will place an order for them as well. I like to replace toys in the birds cages every two weeks even if they are out most of the day.

Last edited:
OP
mtdoramike

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
Sounds like he's gotten a good home, hope you email the lady with occasonal updates about him! It's heartbreaking having to let a loved pet go, but I'm really glad he's taken to you so well!

Yes, I will email her and send her pictures of him. But she only lives about 15 miles from me, so she can stop by any time and visit with us and Mac. This is one of the reasons why she was hoping I would adopt Mac, she knows where we live so she can come visiting and check up on him.I really appreciate a previous bird owner doing that.

I tried contacting Tiki's previous owners with pictures and update emails and never got a response from them. It was like drop and run. I don't understand how people can do that. She is the sweetest thing in the world that only wanted to be loved. She's gettin plenty of that now to the point of being spoiled. We'll have to see how she will take to having to share me with Mac hahahaha. If anything, I figure she might like the break.

HRH Di

Jan 9, 2010
Media
McKinney, TX
Parrots
Max - Alexandrine, Jade - Red-Front Macaw, Ruby - CAG
I'm a firm believer that the right animals find us. I think you're both very luck.y

mele

Jul 26, 2011
California
Parrots
Lotty- Umbrella Cockatoo,
Scarlet- Scarlet Macaw,
Paco- Lilac Amazon, Josh-blue front amazon
Such a sad begining to this story, im truly glad it looks to be a happy ending.

Congrats :)

OP
mtdoramike

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
I forgot to mention that Mac is potty trained and will not go to the bathroom on you. He will figit around and if you ain't moving fast enough for him, he will say POOP until you take him to his cage where he will go inside and do his business there.

He has a pretty good vocabulary, but that is something that I have never been concerned with one way or the other. If a bird talks or doesn't talk is no concern to me. I like the bird for the bird not because they are trick ponies.

OP
mtdoramike

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
Wow, what a beautiful guy. I love ekkies. I bet you are reading up on diet. If you start eating like Mac, you won't need cardio treatments. lol Congrats.

ps I hope Tiki has found a good friend.

Yeah I am, but it's not a whole lot different from what I give Tiki, which is pellets, fresh fruits/veggies and a little seeds. The main thing from what I read is they they need foods high in vitamin A like orange colored foods, carrots, sweet potatos and the like. I could learn a thing or three about nutrition from both od them I think.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Mike,

Awesome!!!! Another ekkie owner!!! You will enjoy having him around trust me! As you know we got ours back in March, loving every single min if it, they're wonderful birds, just a bit on the messy side when they eat. My boy loves to cuddle with me and give me kisses on my lips. He's a sweet little angel that we love dearly. You will enjoy having Mac around for sure, he's gorgeous!!!

Most Reactions

Latest posts