my caique is attacking her foot

diego0621

Jun 19, 2014
Howell,NJ
Parrots
1 female Caique
My caique is about 7 years old. She recently started attacking her foot and she will bite it and scream. It however is not the foot with the band. After she bites it she holds her foot up for about a minute puts it back down and attacks it again. I have sprayed her foot with aloe spray for birds. She goes in the shower almost every night and she doesnt go after her foot in the shower. Not sure what else to do and dont know if i should go to the vet. Any help or suggestions would be great!!!
Thank You

OP
diego0621

diego0621

Jun 19, 2014
Howell,NJ
Parrots
1 female Caique
Tahnk you for the help. She stopped going after her foot. I saw on her leg/ ankle and she had new feathers coming in. She has calmed down from attacking her ankle. She does it once a week for like 2 minutes.

Frumpydumple

Apr 21, 2013
Durham, UK.
Parrots
My birds: Skyler/Sky, violet Indian Ringneck. Mother's birds: Norman, African Grey and Mildred, Blue Crowned Conure.
Tahnk you for the help. She stopped going after her foot. I saw on her leg/ ankle and she had new feathers coming in. She has calmed down from attacking her ankle. She does it once a week for like 2 minutes.

If she STILL does it I would get her checked out at an Avian vet. Just to be sure it isn't an injury or anything else. It isn't normal.

Julianna

Feb 4, 2013
Media
Olympia, WA
Parrots
Pippi, my white-bellied caique
Pippi also did this when the feathers on her legs were coming in. I think it must just be itchy...

Frumpydumple

Apr 21, 2013
Durham, UK.
Parrots
My birds: Skyler/Sky, violet Indian Ringneck. Mother's birds: Norman, African Grey and Mildred, Blue Crowned Conure.
Pippi also did this when the feathers on her legs were coming in. I think it must just be itchy...

Could be something, could be nothing, that's why a vet visit would be best to check if there is really anything wrong, or not wrong. I have had many birds over the years and none of them have ever done this. Injury or metal toxicity came to mind when I read this thread.

Hopefully it's just new feathers like you said though. :)

Julianna

Feb 4, 2013
Media
Olympia, WA
Parrots
Pippi, my white-bellied caique
I took Pippi in for an exam when I noticed, and my AV said it was most likely either feathers coming in or else just a weird quirk. She seemed pretty unconcerned, though, since Pippi was otherwise acting perfectly normally and healthily. If there are any other warning signs you should probably get her checked.

punkindave

Apr 9, 2013
Media
Albums
Bethlehem, PA
Parrots
Budgie Niles, Rascal RBC-2001, Jake "footloose" CAG-2015, Butchie Triton-1988, Neyteri "Chatterbox" CAG, and the "Squeak Squad" (4 Caiques) ScooterPie 8/12, Skittles 4/13, Chica 2006, Ringo 2009
Could be emotional.. Our Triton gets wound up sometimes by yelling on TV and will start screaming and attacking his foot.

I've also heard tell of a Caique that hangs by one foot and twists around with his toys causing a radial fracture. If he is favoring the foot, I'd certainly bring him in for an x-ray.

Of course it could just be the feathers, they hurt when they're new.

OP
diego0621

diego0621

Jun 19, 2014
Howell,NJ
Parrots
1 female Caique
thank you. she stopped going after her foot. I had her checked out and they said it was new feathers coming in. I used bird bath spray to calm down the itching and it works.

Most Reactions

Latest posts