My garden....it's getting there

ruffledfeathers

Aug 23, 2012
Media
NJ
Parrots
Gilbert Oliver, Blue Crown Conure; Georgie, Sun Conure (2/8/01-8/8/12) RIP little girl; Percy, budgie 1993-1999. RIP Pepito-spanish timbrado canary
Alison--that little chihuahua topiary is standing in front of my house, yes. i HAD to get it, being the 'chihuahua lady' in the neighborhood. i even decorate her for Christmas and put her on a table on the porch with lights. :) My dog FREAKED OUT when i first bought it. He was scared and it was a little bit funny.

Wendy--i managed to get the creeping charlie out of this particular bed and around one side of the house, but there are a few spots that are a huge struggle with it growing back quickly if you miss just a few little threads of it. What kind of weed block? a chemical that is safe with flowering plants or do you mean that tarp like material that people put down under the mulch?

OP
J

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012

Wendy--i managed to get the creeping charlie out of this particular bed and around one side of the house, but there are a few spots that are a huge struggle with it growing back quickly if you miss just a few little threads of it. What kind of weed block? a chemical that is safe with flowering plants or do you mean that tarp like material that people put down under the mulch?

No chemicals, I am not too fond of too many chemicals. ;)

I was talking about that black meshy stuff, or yes, the tarp-like stuff. :) I had to put that in my front as I was totally unable to keep up with the creeping Charlie. :( And it STILL tries to find its way around. That is some NASTY weed, which I would really do without. :)

OP
J

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
I took some more pictures today. Unfortunately the flowers on the tree peony will shatter rather quickly with this stupid rain we've been having. :( BUT, there is always next year.

img6817bd.jpg

img6818o.jpg

img6819t.jpg

A pretty tulip
img6821y.jpg

And Clematis "Dr Ruppel"
img6823b.jpg

aliray

Jan 28, 2012
Rotonda West , Fla
Parrots
yellow sided green cheek conure,Chiquita Quaker parrot Sweetie Pie, African red bellied parrot Tiki, spanish timbrado canary Lucas
Wendy they are beautiful pictures are you still getting rained on? Could you send a small amt down here? We need some but I don't want a tropical downpour Just a nice slow steady rain for a day or two:)

OP
J

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Wendy they are beautiful pictures are you still getting rained on? Could you send a small amt down here? We need some but I don't want a tropical downpour Just a nice slow steady rain for a day or two:)

The downpours stopped yesterday. But boy did we have some massive thunderstorms. It was coming down in buckets! I'll be more than happy to send it your way. ;)

And THANK YOU, Alison. :D

aliray

Jan 28, 2012
Rotonda West , Fla
Parrots
yellow sided green cheek conure,Chiquita Quaker parrot Sweetie Pie, African red bellied parrot Tiki, spanish timbrado canary Lucas
Thanks my garden and I would really appreciate it not to mention the Canal in the back which is down about three feet at least. How are the herbacious peonies doing are they blooming yet?. Hope you had a nice mothers day:):)

OP
J

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Thanks my garden and I would really appreciate it not to mention the Canal in the back which is down about three feet at least. How are the herbacious peonies doing are they blooming yet?. Hope you had a nice mothers day:):)

No herbaceous blooms yet. But PLENTY of buds this year. :) I'll take a picture of my other tree peony in a little while, as it's not raining at the moment. We are having record LOW temperatures and a night frost. I lugged all my annuals inside last night, only to lug them right back out this morning.

There's still my 3rd tree peony "High Noon", which should open within the next week or so.

Mother's Day was really nice, even though I missed Mike terribly. :( It was my first one without him. BUT, he called in the wee hours of the morning, and then we skyped later on in the afternoon. :)

aliray

Jan 28, 2012
Rotonda West , Fla
Parrots
Oh gorgeous. I am wiping up the drool again. I have never seen the purple variety. WOW. I just ordered an angel trumpet yesterday called Equador Pink which I saw blooming several years ago at the Boston Museum of Science in their Butterfly garden. I ordered it from a place called Maranatha Nursery. It can be a hard variety to find, Hopefully it will grow and start to bloom in a couple of years:)

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
I love that tree peony!!!! I have not seen them here and I so want one!!!! Here's one of my peonies blooming as I have two more not bloomed yet. My azaleas have already gone through full bloom before I had the chance to snap pics, kinda forgot...lol

20130510_153828_zps720f3cf9.jpg

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
Hey Wendy, what were those seven pointed leaf cluster plants in the previous pics.....those looked familiar, but just couldn't place them.....

aliray

Jan 28, 2012
Rotonda West , Fla
Parrots
Beautiful peonies thanks for sharing the pictures Mickey tn. We can't grow them down here in Fla and I do miss them and all the spring bulbs. Oh well everything is a trade off. At least I no longer have to deal with snow:D

OP
J

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Hey Wendy, what were those seven pointed leaf cluster plants in the previous pics.....those looked familiar, but just couldn't place them.....

I honestly don't know which plant you mean, Walt. Can you paste the picture, please?

OP
J

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
GORGEOUS peony you've got blooming there, Mikey!!!! I can't wait for my herbaceous ones to start their show. :D

Alison, that trumpet vine sounds GORGEOUS!!!!:D We have the red variety - and we can't get rid of it, no matter how hard we try. :54:

aliray

Jan 28, 2012
Rotonda West , Fla
Parrots
Wendy Angel trumpet is not a vine is is a huge shrub. Look up brugsmania on the internet. I think you are talking about trumpet vine beautiful vine I had it up north in both the orange red and the yellow varieties:)

OP
J

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Wendy Angel trumpet is not a vine is is a huge shrub. Look up brugsmania on the internet. I think you are talking about trumpet vine beautiful vine I had it up north in both the orange red and the yellow varieties:)

:eek: WOW Alison, Brugmansias are GORGEOUS!!!!! What a bummer, they won't grow for me. :( Zone 7 and up. Ugh!!!

aliray

Jan 28, 2012
Rotonda West , Fla
Parrots
Wendy you can grow angel trumpets in large pots outside . they need a fair amt of water. In the winter when it gets too cold they can be brought into a garage or where ever and allowed to go dormant until spring. They are however toxic to birds or you could grow them in the house for the winter.:)

OP
J

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Wendy you can grow angel trumpets in large pots outside . they need a fair amt of water. In the winter when it gets too cold they can be brought into a garage or where ever and allowed to go dormant until spring. They are however toxic to birds or you could grow them in the house for the winter.:)

Now you're enabling me. :D I do have plenty of huge pots. ;) HA!!! I'd rather chuck our avocado tree that's growing in a pot (overwintered in the house) and get myself one of those beauties.

Most Reactions

Latest posts