Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Some birds do understand word association well enough to use them in context. You usually hear of Greys doing it, but I'm sure any of them can.

OP
MyFlock

MyFlock

Apr 15, 2015
Parrots
Conures, 2 Red bellied parrots lovebirds.
I think Doobie is as smart as a Grey ;) Griffins a bit mute lol and only seems to talk when he's outside or on top of his cage eating almonds. Doobie talks up a storm!

OP
MyFlock

MyFlock

Apr 15, 2015
Parrots
Doobies stand wheel broke off again so he been stranded inside the house. I think he might be going a little crazy because today when my Jenday was doing her usual morning screaming session Doobie told her to be quiet! Three times while she was screaming lol omg! That bird is too wicked smart!

Anyway, we are bringing the stand into the shop where we purchased the cage to see if they can order a new one for him. I've noticed too since he's been in the house he won't eat his fresh fruits and veggies...wonder why? I guess he's unhappy stuck indoors with the conures :(

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buddy - Red Crowned Amazon (27 yo)
Venus - Solomon Island Eclectus (4 yo)
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Sam - Cockatiel 1997 - 2004
Tweety - Budgie 1984 - 1987
Sweety - Budgie 1985 - 1986
That is funny that he was saying be quiet. Sounds like he needs his wheel fixed fast, poor Doobie.

OP
MyFlock

MyFlock

Apr 15, 2015
Parrots
He just ran out of wood to chew too, poor Doob. He is certainly quite a little character!

seagoat

Oct 3, 2015
Kelowna, BC Canada
Parrots
17 year old Red Belly Poi named Gaugan and 5 Month old Meyers Poi named Sunny
I have a red belly female Gaugan, and I am convinced they are much smarter than though of now. She has a very large vocabulary and understands a lot of what I say to her. She is smart enough to figure out innovative ways to communicate her needs too.

OP
MyFlock

MyFlock

Apr 15, 2015
Parrots
Yes, they are very intelligent. Females Red Bellies are supposed to be super sweet, is yours a sweetheart? Doobie was telling my Jenday to be quiet again yesterday Lol

OP
MyFlock

MyFlock

Apr 15, 2015
Parrots
Does Doobie look overweight? He's been eating a lot of Harvest birdie bread lately and he looks like he has a belly.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    119.1 KB · Views: 70

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
It's hard to tell by a pic, but from the pic I know what you mean :). Have you weighed him? Or does he let you feel his keel bone to see how much "flesh" is on each side of it? Too much bread lol.

OP
MyFlock

MyFlock

Apr 15, 2015
Parrots
No I haven't weighed him. I'll try to feel his keel bone...yep too much bread! Lool!

seagoat

Oct 3, 2015
Kelowna, BC Canada
Parrots
17 year old Red Belly Poi named Gaugan and 5 Month old Meyers Poi named Sunny
oh yes my red belly is a sweetheart, she has never bitten me. She is very affectionate and funny. She loves to ride in the car and will spin around excitedly when I tell her we are going. She gives me little kisses and tickles my ear to make me laugh. She understands what i say to her very well, but of course I dont know how much exactly is understanding of the language and how much is tone for each thing. I put her under a jacket to take her in the car or next door for a visit to my duaghter house and she is so excited there are happy little noises all the way there. She is a very good talker. She speaks in different voices depending who she learned it from. She also has copied my laugh and my daughters laugh. She has so much character, and so many emotions. When she is feeling something she will demonstrate it physically, so there are all kinds of swaying motions and little dances she does. She has been pure delight for me ever since i got her 17 years ago. Other people have to be very slow in getting to know her, but she will have relationships with them, she just limits what she allows them to do. in her eyes i can do no wrong and she forgives me very quickly for anything.

Last edited:
OP
MyFlock

MyFlock

Apr 15, 2015
Parrots
Doobie dances as well and he does a nice little finish to music or sing alongs with his wings held high and three taps with his beak on his perch. He's the silliest & smartest bird I have. He went out on a shopping trip today in his gold Pak-o-bird, we went to Petco and another local shop, he came home with only one toy though that I thought would interest him which is a wooden block toy with bell, he likes wood and that's all I could find today for wood.

OP
MyFlock

MyFlock

Apr 15, 2015
Parrots
Imagine my surprise this morning when I uncovered Doobie only to hear him say ( very enthusiastically) Good Morning Everyone! Hmmm maybe previous owner was a teacher and she would bring him into class everyday? That bird sure comes up with surprising and interesting things! I really don't believe he thinks he's a bird although:p

OP
MyFlock

MyFlock

Apr 15, 2015
Parrots
Oh Doobs...another funny moment with Doobie! One of my conures was in her cage flapping her wings really loud while Doobie was sitting by me when all of sudden he gets this amused look on his face and turns around to face the conure and says What the? And then starts laughing....lol...

He's too much! Silly bird.

Most Reactions