My sun conures started laying eggs!

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I just candled them and there is definitely something in all three eggs! Thereā€™s a small spot thatā€™s light I think thatā€™s the air sack. The rest is dark. I kinda did it fast because I wanted to put them back in for the Mama.
Great news! Now it's just a matter of time and you will have three baby birds!

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Great news! Now it's just a matter of time and you will have three baby birds!
The day they hatch you will be able to hear the baby peeping inside if you held it up to your ear but I don't recommend it since Mama may get upset. She will definitely hear it. Apparently the chick starts peeping when it breaks into the air sac and starts breathing right before it hatches.

OP
S

Sybil

Oct 20, 2021
Parrots
Sun conure
Still no babies. Does anyone know if the incubation time starts from when the first egg is laid, the middle or the last? Sometimes I swear I can hear the babies make noises especially in the morning.

OP
S

Sybil

Oct 20, 2021
Parrots
Sun conure
One of the babies hatched today!! It may have hatched last night. Iā€™m so excited šŸ˜ I hope the other babies hatch soon too

OP
S

Sybil

Oct 20, 2021
Parrots
Sun conure
HAPPY HATCHDAY BABY BIRD! šŸ£
I was starting to worry that something happened while the eggs were developing. Iā€™m just so worried as a first time bird breeder. I hope the parents take good care of them. They seem so attentive. They are always making cute noises to the and staying in the box.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I was starting to worry that something happened while the eggs were developing. Iā€™m just so worried as a first time bird breeder. I hope the parents take good care of them. They seem so attentive. They are always making cute noises to the and staying in the box.
I'm sure they will make great parents, but if not make sure you are prepared to take the babies to a CAV for professional advice on care and feeding. Congratulations!

OP
S

Sybil

Oct 20, 2021
Parrots
Sun conure
I have hand feeding food on hand just in case. I donā€™t have an incubator yet though. I wasnā€™t sure what one to get šŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļø do you have any suggestions?

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I have hand feeding food on hand just in case. I donā€™t have an incubator yet though. I wasnā€™t sure what one to get šŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļø do you have any suggestions?
I bought a small digital egg incubator/brooder on Amazon for about $70. Its by HBLife. It has an automatic egg turning feature and after hatching I removed that mechanism and lined the lower chamber with paper towels and used it as a chick brooder. My baby budgie did very well in it from day one. Still available for about $65. I would get one right away in case you need to keep chicks warm. I believe having this incubator was critical for my baby's survival. If you go on Amazon and search HBLife egg incubator it should come up.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I bought a small digital egg incubator/brooder on Amazon for about $70. Its by HBLife. It has an automatic egg turning feature and after hatching I removed that mechanism and lined the lower chamber with paper towels and used it as a chick brooder. My baby budgie did very well in it from day one. Still available for about $65. I would get one right away in case you need to keep chicks warm. I believe having this incubator was critical for my baby's survival. If you go on Amazon and search HBLife egg incubator it should come up.
The model is JANOEL12

OP
S

Sybil

Oct 20, 2021
Parrots
Sun conure
I checked and the baby is still in the box making cute noises. The other eggs havenā€™t hatched yet.

Attachments

• 52DA13F2-1B42-4833-BD63-D833E5426EE1.jpeg
    52DA13F2-1B42-4833-BD63-D833E5426EE1.jpeg
    170.4 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_5087.MOV
    6.7 MB

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I checked and the baby is still in the box making cute noises. The other eggs havenā€™t hatched yet.
Awww! She's feeding the baby! How sweet! I have such a soft spot for baby birds!
They should hatch every day or two.

OP
S

Sybil

Oct 20, 2021
Parrots
Sun conure
Awww! She's feeding the baby! How sweet! I have such a soft spot for baby birds!
They should hatch every day or two.
They are very cute! They are so fragile. I hope the parents take good care of the babies for a few weeks at least šŸ˜†

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
Congratulations on your super cute babies!! Haha, I love how mom looks up at you in that video!

OP
S

Sybil

Oct 20, 2021
Parrots
Sun conure
Congratulations on your super cute babies!! Haha, I love how mom looks up at you in that video!
When I checked the box this morning the Mama was stretching her wings. The baby is still in the box making the most adorable chirps. The parents talk to the baby constantly. Itā€™s so cute! The other eggs havenā€™t hatched yet but Iā€™m not going to worry about it.

OP
S

Sybil

Oct 20, 2021
Parrots
Sun conure
Another egg hatched!! So just one more to go šŸ˜ I had the cage open yesterday and the dad came out to be with me a bit. The baby chirped a bunch and he went right back in the bird box. It was very cute!

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
When I checked the box this morning the Mama was stretching her wings. The baby is still in the box making the most adorable chirps. The parents talk to the baby constantly. Itā€™s so cute! The other eggs havenā€™t hatched yet but Iā€™m not going to worry about

Another egg hatched!! So just one more to go šŸ˜ I had the cage open yesterday and the dad came out to be with me a bit. The baby chirped a bunch and he went right back in the bird box. It was very cute!
HAPPY HATCHDAY, BABY BIRD #2! šŸ£

OP
S

Sybil

Oct 20, 2021
Parrots
Sun conure
HAPPY HATCHDAY, BABY BIRD #2! šŸ£
Itā€™s so exciting! I guess I didnā€™t have any reason to worry. The internet is a great thing but learning about all the things that can go wrong isnā€™t fun šŸ˜‚ Thereā€™s only one egg left to hatch! I think it will probably hatch on Monday. It seems like they hatched every other day.

Most Reactions

Latest posts