My Third Parrot ! Male Vosmaeri Eclectus :-)

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Looks like someone has decided he'd like to fly, again!

OP
Violet_Diva

Violet_Diva

Aug 30, 2016
Media
Albums
Norfolk (England)
Parrots
Bella (Vosmaeri Eclectus Female) + Dexter (Red Sided Eclectus Male) + Gerry (Vosmaeri Eclectus Male)
Still rocking his tiny green wings!

But as you can see, he's got one of those big'ol blue ones coming in. Last time, he had one on each side, and both broke and bled before being able to finish sprouting. So far the big blue bloodfeather is unscathed. As I'm worried he's going to catch it in his cage, I'm going to see if I can resurrect Dexters old cage (as it's a bit wider) and move him into that. Gerry has done so well with his feathers. I'm so proud of him!

Last edited:
OP
Violet_Diva

Violet_Diva

Aug 30, 2016
Media
Albums
Norfolk (England)
Parrots
Bella (Vosmaeri Eclectus Female) + Dexter (Red Sided Eclectus Male) + Gerry (Vosmaeri Eclectus Male)
Here's a clip of Gerry climbing around on the bottom tier of the tree stand
(I moved a table stand onto the base as Gerry can't safely reach the top of the tree like Bella and Dexter can, so it gives him an alternative steady perch) :)
[ame="https://youtu.be/uaIEN4EmiMs"]Male Vosmaeri Eclectus Parrot (Gerry) playtime investigation - YouTube[/ame]

Please forgive the food splatters on the glass behind :D

Last edited:

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
I'm loving that he's making so much progress with those wings!!! And that video was a joy to see. He's obviously having such a good time with the setup you have for him. Nice!

OP
Violet_Diva

Violet_Diva

Aug 30, 2016
Media
Albums
Norfolk (England)
Parrots
Guess who got the confidence to climb up a level on the mega tree!

He's a brave little boy!

OP
Violet_Diva

Violet_Diva

Aug 30, 2016
Media
Albums
Norfolk (England)
Parrots
[ame="https://youtu.be/zwez3OT7meQ"]Male Vosmaeri Eclectus Parrot (Gerry) toy basket selection - YouTube[/ame]

"Look what I found - I like this one!"

Last edited:

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
He's obviously having a grand old time! And that tree is amazing! So much to explore! You've created a wonderland for them!

OP
Violet_Diva

Violet_Diva

Aug 30, 2016
Media
Albums
Norfolk (England)
Parrots
Here's a (not very good quality) clip of Gerry flapping his new little wings. They're really filling out now!

[ame="https://youtu.be/ihiIC532X6U"]Male Vosmaeri Eclectus Parrot (Gerry) flapping his new tiny wings - YouTube[/ame]

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Go Gerry! Looks like he's every bit as eager to grow back his wings as we are to see them grow in!

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Yay Gerry! Happy boy and proud Mom I'm sure [emoji3]

OP
Violet_Diva

Violet_Diva

Aug 30, 2016
Media
Albums
Norfolk (England)
Parrots
Poor little guy tried to fly from off the top if his cage to me :(
He hasn't tried to do that in ages, I thought he'd gotten to the point where he realised he couldn't fly anymore.
Maybe because he's aware of his new little wings he thought he'd give it a try. Unfortunately there's not quite enough feathering to allow him to glide yet :(

Hopefully not too much longer to wait little Gerry...

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Oh, no! Poor Gerry. If only we could wish those feathers in faster! Hopefully he'll resist the urge to pluck long enough for his full flights to come back in.

OP
Violet_Diva

Violet_Diva

Aug 30, 2016
Media
Albums
Norfolk (England)
Parrots
So back in March Gerry snipped off the tip of a (very beautiful) wing feather. After this 'snip incident' he left the feather alone...

That is until now!

He was clearly nibbling on the end of it today while I was at work and slowly working his way up it. (Lots of little snippets in the bottom of his cage from this particular feather.)

I gave him a shower when I got home, and during his blow-dry I spotted his first big tail pin feather coming through since he's been with me! (Trying not to get too excited! - Failing :D)

Do you think that maybe the discomfort of this new tail pin feather may have induced the nibbling of the damaged wing feather (like a kind of transference?)

Or does that just sound like wishful thinking?!?

OP
Violet_Diva

Violet_Diva

Aug 30, 2016
Media
Albums
Norfolk (England)
Parrots
For a general 'wing update'

Here's a before pic

And a now pic

Sorry it's not a very good quality image - but he is typically a green blur at most times! :D

OP
Violet_Diva

Violet_Diva

Aug 30, 2016
Media
Albums
Norfolk (England)
Parrots
Today I managed to capture Gerry trying to say "Good Boy!"
His elocution isn't 100% like his sister Bella, but he's definitely improving!
[ame="https://youtu.be/_e8pcKQr9eo"]Male Vosmaeri Eclectus Parrot (Gerry) tries to say "Good Boy" - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
The flight feather situation was probably just a slight misstep in an otherwise impressive path of progress. His wing overall is looking so much better since he's been in your care! And I've got my fingers crossed for that tail feather!!! Great news!

That video was awesome! Such love in his interaction with you. And his clarity is getting there.

Most Reactions