Neptune is lost

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
How wonderful you've involved a good part of the community. Hopefully they'll be your eyes and ears to allow you enough rest between search sessions. Sending you oodles of energy and positive thoughts for reuniting with Neptune!

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
Over here pulling for you, Laura!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T00tsyd

May 8, 2017
UK
Parrots
Green cheek conure - Sydney (Syd) Hatched 2/2017
Is there any news. Has he been seen/heard? Can I still hope?

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
There's always room for hope. A member on this forum got her parrot back after he was lost for 3 months.

Stay strong, Laura! And check in here anytime you need some support and encouragement to keep you going! You've got this! And we've got your back!

OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I still jerk awake with my heart pounding many times a night, for the past 20 nights since he has been gone. I still drive around at dawn listening for him,
I don’t have much hope left and have started to let myself cry
I have never lost a companion in the prime of their life before, it’s so much harder knowing he had 25 years of spoiling ahead of him
I miss him saying yum yum if I had any food in my hands, I miss him cheering Penny with good girl when ever she flys, I miss him saying good morning, saying I love you, and asking for kisses

T00tsyd

May 8, 2017
UK
Parrots
Green cheek conure - Sydney (Syd) Hatched 2/2017
Allow yourself to cry he is in greater hands than ours. You need to keep strong now .

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Laura, please let Neptune's "voices" fill you with resolve and hope. Wonder if it is time to cast a wider net with posters and solicitations in farther areas, in case he has flown a distance?

Jen5200

Mar 27, 2017
Media
Albums
Washington State
Parrots
Baby - Sun Conure;
Tango - GCC;
Bindi - Sun Conure;
Stanley - Pineapple GCC;
Screamer “Scree� - Cockatiel;
Tee - Pineapple GCC; Jimmy - Cockatiel
Please don’t lose hope, although I completely understand the overwhelming sadness. I just spent several days looking for a lost bird, we found him several times and he spooked before we could catch him and took off again. We recovered him yesterday, much further away than we had thought he would be - and he is safely indoors again. Neptune is smart, and I am holding on to hope that you will be reconnected.

OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Jen, how far did he get?

I got a call today from the guy who originally saw him two weeks ago, he had replied they the next door app that a neighbor posted, so this was out first time talking. He saw him one mike away from me the next day late afternoon after he got out. He was109% sure ur was him. He flew over their pool while they were swimming and he told his family I just saw a parrot! They laughed at him, then Neptune flew back over and all 4 p sa W him! That was two weeks ago. But it nice to know he survived the first day into the end of the second day for sure.

Then this afternoon I git a call from the same street a few houses down, they said he wa at their burd feeder! They guy took a picture , you can barely tell it’s a burd, it’s so far and grainy. But it looked like a Quaker head, but the belly looked yellowish, and the tail looked brownish, so it’s very very hard to say if it wa him. But the couple said they are avid bird watchers, and said they are sure it was a parrot..... so I can hope, I went ther fir two hours but it was 100 temp with 120 heat index... nothing was moving.. so I went back at 530 and stayed til ten to 8 , I took the other Quaker’s in a travel cage and they squared goid, and I called and Callie’s for him with mega phone, and regular voice..... no luck
I will keep trying

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
We once found a hound/beagle mix in our yard as kids. The dog was micro-chipped or his tags had been reported into a "missing" database or something (can't remember how they figured out who he belonged to, but I know it had something to do with one of those and it involved a lot of calls)...Anyway, we got in touch with the owners and this DOG was a 3.5 hour car ride from where he wandered off and he had been missing for about a month (he wasn't a pure bred, and no one had any reason to take him...so it is very likely he walked that far)...I am sure they never thought he would show up again, let alone almost 4 hours away lol!

The good thing about this is that your bird clearly is getting food somewhere and seems to be staying within the same area, despite the fact that he is wandering around during the day...So, that is hopeful, in my opinion. He has no incentive to permanently wander elsewhere, because, unlike dogs, birds don't "follow their noses" and tend to stick around when they find a good food source etc (dogs get distracted and will chase after things etc)....but your bird knows the lay of the land to some extent or he wouldn't keep going back to the same spots. I tell the dog story, not because I think Neptune is going to go far away, but because it shows that pets can travel far and still make it home. The fact that he keeps going back to the same area means that he doesn't plan on leaving and is probably sleeping nearby... A mile is nothing for a bird, so that was probably just like the equivalent of an evening stroll for you or me.

Still, can't imagine your stress...I am rooting for you!!!

Last edited:
OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I don’t know if any one has the skills to clean this pic up and see if it is him? I zoomed in and cropped and the head does look like Quaker but the rest doesn’t
The bird is in front of the Jeep sitting on the bird feeder pole close to the trees
24606d1593390038-neptune-lost-e9d5eb96-fb55-48b6-b15b-4028a2d2bb59.jpg

Last edited:

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
I think it's the quality of the picture-- I zoomed in and it became very pixelated. He looks almost yellow-ish bit really hard to say. They guy clearly thought it was a parrot or he wouldn't have taken it--what did he say the bird looked like?

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
What food does he LOVE? Could you ask the people with the feeders that he frequents to allow you to place some there?

OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Yes I put food there he like !
He said the burd has a blue head, grey body, he was so glad to hear that Neptune front is grey because he thought he was all blue. Both he and wife saw him they said it was a parrot for sure had parrot head and beak, that they watch birds and go birding sbd has never seen this bird before. They also said they had heard parrot sounds in the woods.
I agree when you zoom looks yellowish........the tail is off, but Neptune is missing many tail feathers right now from my pup pulling them out.....

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
That has to be him--- there is no reason they would say that and if they watch birds, they would know! I think that is great!

OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I sure am hoping! I gave them many pics of Neptune so they can be sure if they see him again, I gave them front shot, and side shots
I was in the neighborhood at sunrise, when they called and this evening, dang it why can’t he come to me!!!

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
I had another thought-- if you bring your birds in a cage they aren't used to, maybe the sounds they are making don't sound fun, but could you possibly play a recording of some happy quaker sounds? You know---if they are nervous to be out, they may sound like they are in distress...then again, maybe he would just like to hear them, but if you have sounds of them at home when they are playing/happy, I wonder if that might be useful?

Also- I wonder if the megaphone could be distorting your voice-- you know? Humans could probably tell it was you, but parrots might pick up on subtle changes that we can't hear, so you might try it without for a day and see if that gets any results..just throwing stuff out there.

Last edited:
OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
All good! I worry about distortion to

OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I just found out one if the family I met was out calling for Neptune st he and time I was! Darn it, I told them not to call fir Neptune it will confuse him!! They have all heard me calling fir him so had Ben saying the same things..... I told them he has never gone to another person, like most parrots he is a one person bird.... I wish I get hadn’t been calling him, I wonder how long long hey been doing that????!

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
I'm sorry Laura I can't tell either, but I've enlarged the pic for you.....

104866710_150843943327907_7966231125453607317_o.jpg

Maybe someone with better eyesight than me can see him!

Most Reactions

Latest posts