new green cheek owner!

koopaling

Jul 23, 2013
Florida
Parrots
green cheek conure lovingly known as 'bird'
hello! i am a recent green cheek conure owner. i have never had a bird before, but i think i am doing very well with him. he is one year old and i heard they can live up to 30, which i doubt he will live that long, since they say little dogs can live up to 20 and i've never had a dog live that long. so i've got a couple of questions. on average how long will they live? also, do green cheeks tend to talk at night? he is very quiet, but at night he is noisy, and in the morning. once he sees me in the morning, he quiets down. but i feel bad for everyone in the house in the morning since he is so loud in the morning. is there a way to discourage this behavior?

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
1 green cheek conure (Kumar)
2 male budgies (Charlie and Diego)
Hi. Most birds tend to sound off at least twice a day, morning and evening as you described. It's normal healthy behavior....with that said, you could just let him out and start playing right away and he'll skip the call. After putting him in for the night, give him about 5-10 mins to drink, eat, settle, and then cover 3 sides of the cage with a light sheet, leaving the back open for ventilation, but obscuring his vision of the room. He should settle right down. Good luck. :)

OP
koopaling

koopaling

Jul 23, 2013
Florida
Parrots
green cheek conure lovingly known as 'bird'
ah! thank you so much. that explains why he stops when he sees me! i thought he was making so much noise because he was tired, so i would put him to bed when he started squawking. should i keep him on a timed schedule when i put him to sleep and wake him up? the breeders i bought him from obviously did that because 7:15 every morning i wake up to the beautiful SQUAWK SQUAWK SQUAWKing. haha.

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
1 green cheek conure (Kumar)
2 male budgies (Charlie and Diego)
Yes, keep him on a regular schedule. Make sure he's put to bed a little after dark, or right before....they usually let you know by becoming fussy :) generally up at dawn and bed by dusk is the norm, but that can be tweaked a bit by covering at night, which buys you a few more minutes of sleep in the morning...:) always try to make sure he gets at least 10-12 hours of sleep/dark/quiet. You'll have a healthier, less hormonal bird and much less problems. :)

MissTaz

May 11, 2013
Utah
Parrots
Rory ~ A male turquoise green cheek conure ~ Hatched 02-12-2013
Congrats on your new bird!!! Conures are the best!!!! I know when it's bed time for my baby he gets really cranky and that is usually about 9 or 10.

Most Reactions

Latest posts