New member intro

tlday13

Aug 14, 2009
Hi, my name is Tracy. I am currently not owned by any parrots, although i was owned by two caiques before my son was born. When the demands of a newborn baby and parrots conflicted, I found experienced bird mommies for my feathered kids. I know it was the right decision then, though it broke my heart.

My son is now 8 and his little sister is 3. I know eventually I will have parrots in my life again, but I'm still at the 'research' stage. This next time, I want to be forever for me and the new feathered kid.

Part of me is still very drawn to caiques. I love their funny, playful ways. But there are so many other wonderful parrot species out there.... all beautiful in their own way. I don't see myself having a big flock... most likely 1 bird, possibly 2 at most.

Thanks for "listening"

Tracy

Auggie's Dad

Administrator
Dec 28, 2007
Media
Albums
South Hadley MA
Parrots
Auggie: Dusky Conure
Welcome to the forum,

There are plenty of other parrot species to check out but all in all I'd say caiques are a great way to go. They're on a very short list of birds I'd look for if I were ever to get another - which is not particularly likely as I also am a one bird home.

Also on my list though are several conures. Of course there are dusky conures - I'm a bit biased - but green cheeks are also great little birds; sun conures are beauties and also tend to be quite playful like caiques. I've also always been drawn to lories, but I'm not sure I'd ever want one in the house - I'd need an aviary for them to make their messes in.

OP
T

tlday13

Aug 14, 2009
Thanks for the reply!

Yeah.. its hard to know which way to go... I mean, I just LOVE parrots, period...could find something wonderful about all species. I just want to try and find the best fit for my family.

Since I have kids, one that is decent with kids would be a must. The kids would never be allowed to interact with the bird w/o supervision. For the bird's sake and theirs. Our 8yr old is on the autistic spectrum and our 3yr old... well, she's 3. LOL enough said there. (I may even hold off on purchasing a bird until she's a bit older, just because)..

When I had my caiques, I had even gotten my dad into being birds! He had thought he might get a gray or quaker (we lived in Maryland, so they're okay here)...but he went to a birdmart with me and totally fell in love with a Nanday conure. (and he/she with him) Yoda was a sweet bird. I also had a friend with a Sun Conure, so I know how fun and sassy they can be.

I also love cockatoos 'cause of their cuddlebug reputation, and grays for their intelligence and beauty.

I guess I could love just about any bird! :D Makes it easier and harder if that makes sense.

OP
T

tlday13

Aug 14, 2009
Well, I went to a petstore (just to look, mind you..no impulse shopping here..) when I'm ready to get my forever friend it will be from a breeder...and most preferably a local breeder so I can visit my baby as its being handfed.

The pet store only had two parrots... a black headed conure and in the back, still being handfed, a whiteheaded pionus. The conure was sweet, but I was a bit more taken with the pionus.

I'm going to have to see if I can find a local breeder that will let me schedule a visit... ;)

Elena

Aug 20, 2009
Media
Albums
Wilkeson, WA
Parrots
2 SI Eclectus, Hahns Macaw, African Red-Bellied Parrot and Cockatiel
Hi Tracy,
I am new to the forum 2. I just love reading your comment 'forever friend' and that is what I believe 2. There are lots of great species out there and you will find just the right one - or should I say, they will pick you. If you have anyone in your family that has allergies, you might want to consider the eclectus species. I am owned by 2 of them.

Elena

OP
T

tlday13

Aug 14, 2009
Thanks! Someone else recommended a male eclectus to me, I haven't had a chance to handle one yet. ;)

I am going to take some parrot education classes in my area soon...and hope to foster and/or adopt thru Phoenix Landing. In the meantime, I've been crusing the forums here and at theperch.net hoping to learn all that I can!

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts