New Member with New Blue Fronted Amazon

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Have you tried wrapping towels around your forearm?

OP
R

RedEyE

Jan 18, 2016
FLG<AZ-VAN<CA-KSA
Parrots
BFA ( Fayroz),,
Canary Breeder,,
noooo,

how can i do that???

i'm really stupid at these things !! i don't know anything

Doublete

Mar 15, 2015
Maryland
Parrots
"Loki" turquoise GCC 1/4/15 hatch date-- "Chiqui" amazon 9/2010 hatch date---- "Banner" green parrotlet hatchdate 11/22/16

RIP "pineapple" lovebird
I don't suggest forcing the bird to be held as in using a towel to hold it right now.

Make friends with the bird by talking to it and feeding treats. Don't force it to be touched unless it comes to you.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
The best way is to wear a long sleeved shirt, like a sweat shirt.

Before you put the shirt on, you take a face towel and wrap it around your arm. Then wrap an ace bandage around the towel to hold it in place. Then put the shirt on over the towel.

Now your forearm is protected, and the bird doesn't even know the towel is there. Step him up using your forearm as the perch. If he bites you, he gets towel, and you get his beak with two fingers and give the no biting command.

With a zon there are times when you have to force the bird to come to you using a towel, but it should be a LAST resort, NOT the first thing you try!

OP
R

RedEyE

Jan 18, 2016
FLG<AZ-VAN<CA-KSA
Parrots
BFA ( Fayroz),,
Canary Breeder,,
he was abused !! he will never come to me by himself soon

his tail was pulled,, his finger nail was cut wrongly,, and his peak is cracked!!!!

fc8ccfe93156731.png

wol_error.gif
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1071x510.
1417ce8a91251ef.png

515b64935778be6.png

wol_error.gif
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1440x2560.
0dc3728c3ed14a3.png

you can see from the pictures

but what it make me happy, that after i used the towel or try to play with him with a stick,, as soon as i put him back on the stand,, he run to the food to eat
which made me thinks that he starts to like me!!!!!?

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
MAKES ME THINK HE'S HAPPY TO BE BACK ON HIS STAND....

(HE'S AN AMZON! THEY'RE LITTLE PIGGIES... !!!)

Seriously, you haven't given the slow and patient way enough time yet. Try that first. IF that doesn't work, THEN it may be necessary to towel him.

Try bribery with favorite treats first, the sitting down next to the cage and getting him used to you, and the two towel method first.

HE'S ALREADY TRAUMATIZED BY BEING GRABBED. I'D AVOID GRABBING HIM.

OP
R

RedEyE

Jan 18, 2016
FLG<AZ-VAN<CA-KSA
Parrots
BFA ( Fayroz),,
Canary Breeder,,
he is making sounds all the time that the first reason why i started with him,, but if you guys thinks that i was going to fast then i should go slower,,,

I will keep you guys updated with everything going on with me

thank you so much :D

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Have you read my post on amazon body language yet?!

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Beak cracking and flaking is normal. That happens. Beaks are like fingernails. They are growing and chipping all the time, so don't lose sleep over that one unless it's bleeding... If it's bleeding, it's serious, go immediately to an avian vet.

Pulling the tail was bad, BUT the bird associates being grabbed with the trauma of having his tail feathers pulled. This is why grabbing is going to make this bird MORE defensive, and may make it take LONGER to gain his trust...

That's something you do with cage bound birds that don't know how to step up. Yours is still very young, and isn't cage bound.

OP
R

RedEyE

Jan 18, 2016
FLG<AZ-VAN<CA-KSA
Parrots
BFA ( Fayroz),,
Canary Breeder,,
yeah but to be honest i couldn't connected with my bird.

i don't know but i feel lost when i try to compare !! and i didn't finish the whole thread :p

i was kinda busy, but i swear i will finish it now

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Please, take a DEEP breath. Take it slow. One day at a time. Your bird was abused/mistreated. It will take him some time to learn to trust any human after what he's been through.

Only TLC (tender loving care) will bring him around.

It is worth it, believe me! :) Many of our members have rescued Amazons that came from VERY very bad situations. And we have a whole lot of success stories here.

We're all here to help you, just please be patient with your new bird. :)

OP
R

RedEyE

Jan 18, 2016
FLG<AZ-VAN<CA-KSA
Parrots
BFA ( Fayroz),,
Canary Breeder,,
I will,, I really feel comfortable with you guys,, it seems that you know what to do and i'm in good hands, but believe me you're the ones who should be patient with me :p

thanx

OP
R

RedEyE

Jan 18, 2016
FLG<AZ-VAN<CA-KSA
Parrots
BFA ( Fayroz),,
Canary Breeder,,
by the way,, when he see me now ,, i just went next to him, ,, he raise his leg like if he want to step up :D :D :D
i brought a stick and put it next to him he step up and without any problem !!!!
should i continue with him like this or go slower ???

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Ask any and all questions that you have. That’s what we’re here for!!! Don’t be shy about asking. Not ever. We all LOVE our birds very much.

It’s hard to tell whether your baby is ready to be picked up, or is lifting his leg out of fear. Amazons lift their leg out of fear, too. Please do read our Birdman’s entire thread. It is EXCELLENT and full of awesome information about body language.
http://www.parrotforums.com/amazons/54250-amazon-body-language.html

You will learn together. Make mistakes together. But you WILL work through it all. :)

Mallory

Jul 31, 2015
Media
Parrots
YNA hen "Greenleaf", Black Capped x Green Cheek Hybrid "Eva", CAG (hatched 1/1/2016), European Starling "Koda"
"he was abused !! he will never come to me by himself soon"

Get this idea out of your head fast! You can do a lot of harm forcing your bird by using a towel or other methods. A lot of birds will close their eyes and stop resisting when toweled, it does not mean they are comfortable. Wild birds will often act the same way when they are restricted by a towel - we use that to our advantage in wild bird rehab when treating injured adult birds. It will do nothing for your relationship except teach your bird that towels are scary and that you grab him and are also scary.

You need to go slow. There are people who have seriously traumatized birds and it took them months or years to gain that bird's trust. There are also a few birds that will not come around and will never be comfortable held, and these birds also deserve a good life. Your bird is young and seems nervous but somewhat interested in interacting with you. Spend time sitting near the cage with the door open and invite the bird into your space. You can deposit treats in a safe neutral spot - like the bird's food bowl - and eventually see if the bird will take them from your hand. I would get the idea of stepping up out of your mind for now as it's too easy to push a bird too far. You have the rest of your lives together, invest time now in building a strong foundation of trust. Research positive reinforcement with parrots and start utilizing the very basics, you want every interaction to be positive so your bird starts to associate you with good things.

My amazon came to me from 15 years spent in a drug dealer's home with a filthy cage, no positive attention and a seed diet that was changed to backyard pecans when their money ran out. She was deliberately exposed to drugs and literally went through withdrawals in the home immediately before mine. When I met her, she had a history of severe aggression towards females and I had to spend 1-2 hours or more a day for almost a month just sitting near the cage giving her relaxed body language and talking softly before we made any progress at all. If I had grabbed or forced her at any point I'm sure I would have ruined any chance to get through to her! My point is...it can take a lot of time and as humans we are tempted to rush things...but please be patient. Once you make that initial breakthrough things will get so much better and you will be glad you put in the time!

OP
R

RedEyE

Jan 18, 2016
FLG<AZ-VAN<CA-KSA
Parrots
BFA ( Fayroz),,
Canary Breeder,,
Oh

thank you Mallory ,, i really went fast ,,

anyway i found a vet near my house and i took him ,, he said the bird in a good condition now, but he was abused really badly and the previous owner didn't take him seriously, the bird was hurting himself, but the bird is not wild he was born in a farm,, but he got aggressive from the abuse.

everything is good with him now ,, i even asked him for bills or vitamins if necessary!! he said there is no need the bird in a good condition.
finally i feel relieve

Mallory

Jul 31, 2015
Media
Parrots
YNA hen "Greenleaf", Black Capped x Green Cheek Hybrid "Eva", CAG (hatched 1/1/2016), European Starling "Koda"
Awesome! It's good to hear he's a healthy bird :) Keep us updated on how things go. I'm predicting you two will be inseparable soon enough!

OP
R

RedEyE

Jan 18, 2016
FLG<AZ-VAN<CA-KSA
Parrots
BFA ( Fayroz),,
Canary Breeder,,
The vet called me today and asked me to bring my parrot, when took him I was surprised,!!!!
He offered me a Blue fronted almost the same age of mine the only different is that mine is bigger a little bit he said that it will save me time and a lot of things and the vet is expert with these situations and he liked the bird himself.

so i agreed, i believed he will take a good care of the bird than me

the new kid is also awesome and he doesn't bit at all

i will sent some picture as soon as he get comfy :D

Doublete

Mar 15, 2015
Maryland
Parrots
"Loki" turquoise GCC 1/4/15 hatch date-- "Chiqui" amazon 9/2010 hatch date---- "Banner" green parrotlet hatchdate 11/22/16

RIP "pineapple" lovebird
Every bird can bite and every bird needs to be handled with patience.

Peppo

Nov 27, 2015
Parrots
Paco-Male Double Yellow Head Amazon
I am a little confused. You switched birds?

Most Reactions

Latest posts