New Member with New Blue Fronted Amazon

ceegull

Nov 26, 2015
Sydney, Australia
Parrots
Sun conure and a Green cheek conure
Its normal to want the bird back you might be feeling guilty, its ok, just give it some time.
Obviously the vet was trying to help you he might have seen the situation with his experience and thought its better for the bird and the young "Redeye" (you) to be with different companions. Think about it... you might have been making things worse for the bird, I know you were trying but that bird might have ripped your lip off because of a wrong move. I think its for the better. Amazons are not a muck around bird, they grudge and they grudge HAAARD.

Just dont take what the experience people here are teaching you lightly, members, especially birdman has given some advice here you cant buy. Use it with this new bird you have. The other one is in good hands, Im sure the vet would not take an abused bird and give you this one without knowing something you dont.

Last edited:

Mallory

Jul 31, 2015
Media
Parrots
YNA hen "Greenleaf", Black Capped x Green Cheek Hybrid "Eva", CAG (hatched 1/1/2016), European Starling "Koda"
Please do not switch birds again. Consider that your old bird has now gone through three homes in a short period (original owner, you, veterinarian) and now you want to make it four. Switching homes is always stressful, doing it four times in this short of time could actually stress the bird enough that it starts feather plucking or worse, its immune system could become compromised by the stress in which case it could get very sick.

This situation IS very strange. If I brought a sick puppy into a vet's office I would expect to pay for treatment. I would not expect my vet to hand me a "newer, better" puppy and take the old one off my hands. That's just not normal vet behavior and certainly not the right attitude for a pet owner. I tried to be kind and understanding when you made the first "parrot swap" but now... you made the decision, live with it!

Both birds - all birds - will have problems. Both birds - all birds- have flaws and personalities. Both birds are amazon parrots very capable of sending you to the ER for stitches or even facial reconstructive surgery. They are both wild animals in a captive situation and either will end up biting you at some point and giving you all sorts of other challenges down the road. All parrots have the potential to be loving companions - every single one of them - but we don't own parrots expecting THEM to work to make US happy. Owning parrots is about putting time and energy into the care and training of a wild exotic bird in order to earn its respect and love. If you do, you will be rewarded with a deeper bond than the domesticated affection of say a dog or cat. You now own an animal that, in addition to being genetically wild, has the intelligence and emotional capacity that rivals some of the primates. That's something to be in awe of every day.

Instead of asking for your original bird back, I strongly encourage you to schedule ANOTHER vet visit, this time to talk about parrot ownership and whether that is the right lifestyle for you. Because it is a lifestyle, one you are devoting potentially 60 years to, and you need to be sure you can care for this new bird for life. Please be extremely honest with yourself because once you commit to either of these birds you are in it for the long haul.

BIRDIGIRL

Jan 25, 2016
Mayo Ireland
Parrots
Rodney Blue Fronted Amazon
RIP Mr Biggles White Fronted Amazon , Elsa and Little Nellow the Lutino Budgies, Lady Primrose a Pied Budgie and English Budgies Houdini Popeye and Olive
Hi Im new here too and just got a White fronted Amazon today and also found this forum on the internet.Parrots take a whole lot of patience and committment and each one is an individual and sometimes they dont turn out to be what we had in mind when first getting them. I hope you find what your looking for...I have edited this as I had a different post written without having read the end of this thread.

Last edited:
OP
R

RedEyE

Jan 18, 2016
FLG<AZ-VAN<CA-KSA
Parrots
BFA ( Fayroz),,
Canary Breeder,,
Hello Guys,

I'm sorry for not responding earlier, but I was sick and went to the hospital and jist got back.
I didn't switch the birds as you guys advised me and i kept the new one.
just started to feed him by my hand today and i'm taking the commitment seriously but i just thought that i can do something for the old one.
i bought a big cage for him and wondering what else can i do?
I spend a lot of time with him in the same room as i work on my laptop, but i dont think it's enough for him, is it?

ceegull

Nov 26, 2015
Sydney, Australia
Parrots
Sun conure and a Green cheek conure
Don't give the parrot time which you cant keep up or it will be bad for the bird. Please keep us informed how you and the amazon are going. Its interesting to see how you go because I am another amatuer and it helps.

OP
R

RedEyE

Jan 18, 2016
FLG<AZ-VAN<CA-KSA
Parrots
BFA ( Fayroz),,
Canary Breeder,,
everything is going great.
i bought him couple of toys so it will keep him active. i let him out of the cage on a stand when i'm next to him. he started to humble something in language but i can't understand it :confused:. when i talk to him he respond some time by groring in a low tone. especially when i feed him each time i talk to him do you want more he answers with groring.
i started feeding him from my hand to days a go, at the beginning he was throwing everything that i give him but now, and now he's responding very will now. he doesn't respond to me when he is outside the cage, he just want to play. i noticed when he is inside the cage and i want to pet him he act like he want to attack my finger. when he is out side the cage he fly away from me but when i come to him he step up and he never step up on my hand when he is inside the cage at all. when i speak to.

the only thing now that i want him to change it is his flaying around

:green:

JosephNAsenath

Banned
Banned
Feb 10, 2016
Va/NC
Parrots
Carlos 7 year old Red-crowned Mexican Amazon, Jazzy 1 year old Severe Macaw, and 6 budgies; Joseph & Asenath, Naomi & Ruth, Mary & Elizabeth
Hello I just read this and I don't know what to say or how to say it, but I will speak my mind as politely as I can. Let me get this straight, you bought a beautiful blue fronted Amazon? His tail was missing because a cruel ignorant owner decided "hey eww what a messy tail let me hack it off"! What a moron lord forgive me! Anyway his beak was chipped, in which birds can grown them back I'm sure not only that but a chip can be just a blemish it's not a terrible ordeal! So you traded the bird that had a few blemishes because you didn't want to be burdened with these blemishes and you did not want to take the time to cope through the bonding process?! The bird was abused! Any bird that went through that would take way more time to be train! He was scared! At any rate I'm glad you gave him away to a vet, I mean this well but you were not ready for him nor do I think you are ready for this new bird and I pity the new bird. I pray I do not anger you but I don't think you should be owning any amazons, parrots, or any birds for that matter. You seem too flippy not considering once the responsibility, time, money, and love that needs to be poured into these birds! Birds are not toys you can toss around or throw away when done! Please consider not purchasing any more birds.

My Amazon was abused he has no arm! He can never fly! He can't even ever glide to break a fall all because someone either clipped his arm off or abused him to where it came off! I don't know but what I do know is he is my son, I love him, and I would never "trade him in" because he's different or shall I say unique. Amazons or any bird for that matter is not a purse you can carry around for a season, and trade in for a better one! A bird is a lasting commitment! Birds need a permanent home! Consider how you'd feel going to orphanages back and forth since birth, that's how they feel. I feel sorry for your first Amazon but again he's better off with the vet someone who cares beyond his outward appearance.

Forgive me for being honest, but someone needed to say this from their heart.

Last edited:

JosephNAsenath

Banned
Banned
Feb 10, 2016
Va/NC
Parrots
Carlos 7 year old Red-crowned Mexican Amazon, Jazzy 1 year old Severe Macaw, and 6 budgies; Joseph & Asenath, Naomi & Ruth, Mary & Elizabeth
I swear I think this is a troll post.

Most Reactions

Latest posts