nmathews

Mar 9, 2013
Hello, I am new to the forums! I currently own two Budgies named Cloud and Kiwi. You can see them in my signature below. Tomorrow I am getting my first non-budgie bird. I am purchasing a hand tame Cockatiel from a local breeder. I have two different cages to start with my Budgies and my Cockatiel. The cages are not huge but I make up for that by turning my room into a walk-in aviary. I let my birds out almost all of them time when I am home. My room is safe and we put blinds over the one window. It is also warm so the exotic birds are comfortable. I have an indoor tree which has been picked clean of it's leaves. The birds are free to perch anywhere from a picture frame to a basketball hoop that hangs on my door. The door is kept closed and there are no dangers for them. My two Budgies run more of a wild life and are not very trained. They do live in captivity but prefer to keep to themselves. My bird Cloud will eat from my hand and stand on my finger for short amounts of time. My other bird Kiwi wants nothing to do with me. I'm hoping that my Cockatiel will fight right in with my pair of Budgies!!

94lt1

Nov 9, 2012
SouthEast TX
Parrots
Monte..Scarlet macaw, Seminole...yellow napped amazon, Starburst... sun conure...Rain, cinnamon green cheek.
You might want to consider this...a hand tamed tiel is going to want to be near you and interact with you. Your meets are more or less wild...

My point is. And I mean. No disrespect.... why pay for a hand fed. Just to let it get influenced by wild budgies???.

I could be very wrong..but that's like putting a mustang in with you saddle broke horses...I could be wrong...but this was my experience....

Welcome to the forum...:) I'm sure a more knowledgeable member will chime in and give you better advice..,:)

But I'm sure they'll get along...

As far as my opinion.. all I mean is, a hand tamed bird is a bird that will enjoy interaction with you..you can pet the bird, touch the bird....scratch the birds head..

Your budgies don't allow that..and if you're not careful, your new tiel will act more like them..

Last edited:

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Welcome