October 2019 POTM Contest!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
We have had great success with window blinds. With a slight twist they block just enough to show only limited opening in the background refection. It is the refection of the area outside that confuses the Bird into believing they are not flying into a building, but an open area.

An Amazon loving water! Yup!

Tami2

Aug 18, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Levi - 6 yr old CAG

DOH-4/2/2016
Geeez Tami...Levi is sooooo majestic looking! Awesome vid dear Lady! You go fly high Levi! ;)

Jim

Thank you so much Jim. 🥰:heart:

8615E6D9-E0BB-4897-8F31-DA4190B1FBBB_zpsivctd5kc.jpeg

Loopey taking a shower in his Wingdow perch!

Nice!!! What a great shot!

What a gorgeous outdoors flight video, stunning!!

I think the white bird may have spooked him, in the second video?

charmedbyekkie

May 24, 2018
US/SG
Parrots
Cairo the Ekkie!
I think the white bird may have spooked him, in the second video?

Thanks, Tami! He loves his outdoor time, and we're lucky we can safely indulge him.

I think what looks like a white bird is his yellow ribbon attached to the end of the Aviator harness where it connects to the Kevlar line. We attached it to the end of the harness leash, so we can see him better against the green of the trees (other people in our area attach ribbons directly to their birds' legs, but I'm uncomfortable with this). He's generally ok with it streaming behind it.

The blooper was taken after a bit of a longer flight for him, so he was coming in tired and out of breath (my fault, I asked him to see if he could go another round and he went for it). It's a tricky process of building up his stamina without asking too much of him - he's happy to push his own limits sometimes, and other times he just kinda goes "no, thanks, I don't like the flying conditions right now.." :p So we just follow his lead most of the time.

Valyndris

Apr 24, 2019
Canada
Parrots
Jacob the blue and gold macaw
Just for fun:
My mother came for a visit and Jacob gives her the full wings because he doesn't want her to take him back (she had him for 15 years until late April then he's been my bird). Jacob used to give my husband those wings before we had him because he was jealous of him. now it's my mother he gives the full wings to. The shot is a bit dark unfortunately.
b9zGv5A.jpg

Tami2

Aug 18, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Levi - 6 yr old CAG

DOH-4/2/2016
Valyndris, hope you don't mind I took the liberty to lighten up Jacob a bit? So we can really see those gorgeous wings. :heart:
7hvNp6j.jpg

Last edited:

Valyndris

Apr 24, 2019
Canada
Parrots
Just for fun:

I know photoshop isn't allowed this time around but it was just to brighten my picture and it's not an official entry anyway. Also just showing off what a difference a few adjustments in photoshop can make. Here is the same just for fun picture but brightened in photoshop.
pf3g2Yy.jpg

Valyndris

Apr 24, 2019
Canada
Parrots
Valyndris, hope you don't mind I took the liberty to lighten up Jacob a bit? So we can really see those gorgeous wings. :heart:

tami2-albums-misc-picture21857-jacob-wings.jpg

You got to that so fast, I think we just did the same thing in photoshop didn't we? Thanks for getting it for me too. :) I find your edit better, mine is a bit vibrant and makes Jacob look more orange than he is.

Last edited:

Smerft85

Jun 10, 2019
Colorful Colorado with colorful birds
Parrots
6 budgies, 3 cockatiels, 1 amazon and two Indian ringnecks
23139d1570949135-october-2019-potm-contest-resized952019101095215901.jpg

View attachment 23139

He isn't showing off his wings, but for those who remember Myles coming home, this is a HUGE step for him and I both, this was the first time he has willingly come to me, and climbed up on my arm. Long story short, he doesn't care for men much, so I was shocked. I'll just make this my entry as it's a special moment.

Last edited:
OP
Anansi

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Just for fun:
My mother came for a visit and Jacob gives her the full wings because he doesn't want her to take him back (she had him for 15 years until late April then he's been my bird). Jacob used to give my husband those wings before we had him because he was jealous of him. now it's my mother he gives the full wings to. The shot is a bit dark unfortunately.
b9zGv5A.jpg

That's quite the intimidating display by Jacob! And beautiful as well! I'm glad to hear that your husband isn't getting the full wing spread treatment, anymore. Has he been fully accepted by Jacob, then?

7hvNp6j.jpg

Sweet! A subtle brightening to show Jacob's natural beauty! I love it!

OP
Anansi

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
23139d1570949135-october-2019-potm-contest-resized952019101095215901.jpg

View attachment 23139

He isn't showing off his wings, but for those who remember Myles coming home, this is a HUGE step for him and I both, this was the first time he has willingly come to me, and climbed up on my arm. Long story short, he doesn't care for men much, so I was shocked. I'll just make this my entry as it's a special moment.

Oh, I know how huge a moment like this is! Nothing like the first time that a bird shows you some trust. Thanks for sharing!

Valyndris

Apr 24, 2019
Canada
Parrots
Just for fun:
b9zGv5A.jpg

That's quite the intimidating display by Jacob! And beautiful as well! I'm glad to hear that your husband isn't getting the full wing spread treatment, anymore. Has he been fully accepted by Jacob, then?

7hvNp6j.jpg

Sweet! A subtle brightening to show Jacob's natural beauty! I love it!

He's getting so much better with my husband, he can't pick him up yet but can somewhat do "shake a paw" when offering treats. Jacob now screams when my husband leaves meaning he must like him to be screaming over him leaving, he used to be happy when he left. The progress is really slow but it's progress nonetheless so we are happy about it. Who knows Jacob might eventually prefer him over me some day. :blue1:

OP
Anansi

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
A little over halfway through the month, everyone! Surely we have a lot more angel wings among us! Keep those beautiful entries coming!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
OP
Anansi

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
**Just for fun, Gabby lining up for landing!**
trlObkZ.jpg

Scott! This pic is awesome!!!! What a beautiful shot of your angel in flight! Looking for my 3D glasses with this one!

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
HOW DID YOU GET THOSE PICTUREZSZSZSZSZSZ????????

Wowwwwwwwwwwwwwww... just... WOW.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
HOW DID YOU GET THOSE PICTUREZSZSZSZSZSZ????????

Wowwwwwwwwwwwwwww... just... WOW.

Lots of trial and error, plenty of takes. Gabby was flying from his bird-room, down a hallway, and up a flight of steps. I was part way up the stairs with last two pics.

Most Reactions

Latest posts