Odd head bobbing.

SweetiePy

Jun 16, 2012
Media
Indianapolis
Parrots
Pyros-Sun Conure
As I sit here and type, my four month old sun conure, Pyros, nips at my fingers. My question is about him. He's been home for about a week now, though I've known him since he was a month old. He's a happy birdy, always dangling by one foot on the ceiling of his cage, rolling onto his tummy for belly rubs and chasing the cats. And, according to the vet, he's a perfectly healthy baby. But there's one thing he's been doing that concerns me.

I know head bobbing is normal for conures. I did a lot of research before I got Py and got to see a lot of sunnys bobbing it out. But Py's been doing a form of bobbing that's very odd. It's very rappid and, at the end, he strains his neck out a bit, opens his beak and makes a strange, rapsy sound. I don't know if it's baby behavior left over from his hand feeding days or if its a sickness or something...some advice please and thanks? :3

ann

Feb 18, 2011
USA
Parrots
1 nanday conure Black Jack, 1 Brotogeris parakeet Whiff, 1 ring neck dove Eliza, and 6 society finches (3 are tame). RIP my parent pairs of societies and my little gouldian finches
that is strange, could it be he is having trouble swallowing? you mentioned he was healthy, but id never hurts to call your vet and ask for an opinion or advice :). sorry i cant be of much help, but i hope you figure it out :).

MollyGreenCheeks

Jan 16, 2012
Media
Albums
Arizona, USA
Parrots
Molly - GCC, Cody - GCC, Gracie - Congo African Grey
With the exception of the raspy sound it sounds like he is trying to regurgitate. I should say that everything about it sounds like regurgitation but I have never personally heard a raspy sound.

Mozzie

Mar 20, 2012
Media
Utah
Parrots
African grey (peppers)
Blue crown conure (Mozzie)
Sun conure (sunny)
Jenday conure (Bo)
Blue fronted amazon (Casey)
I would have to agree with mollygreencheeks, it sounds like regurgitation. My Sun conure does a lot of head bobbing and also regurgitates. But I am not sure about the raspy sound. Mine doesn't do that.

Pinkstiletto66

Sep 25, 2011
NYC
I too recently noticed some quick short head bobbing. Just recently started. Does it when he's happy and doing his usual fast motions in his cage.

AFP520

Banned
Banned
Jun 7, 2012
NJ
Parrots
Lucy, Sun Capped Conure
Lucy does this sometimes too. I usually let her go back to her cage and she will drink some water or grab a quick bite. She's fine after that.

dishgal1

May 1, 2012
Texas
Parrots
Forrest -Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure, Nacho- Sun Conure
I would have to agree with mollygreencheeks, it sounds like regurgitation. My Sun conure does a lot of head bobbing and also regurgitates. But I am not sure about the raspy sound. Mine doesn't do that.
Totally agree with all of the above. My sun actually makes a hiss sound sometimes. Almost like a spit when he is regurgitating.
The regurgitating is a show of affection and he is happy. Could it just be a hiss? My sun also clicks and hisses sometimes not in an aggressive way, usually when he is happy to step up on me.

OP
SweetiePy

SweetiePy

Jun 16, 2012
Media
Indianapolis
Parrots
Pyros-Sun Conure
Totally agree with all of the above. My sun actually makes a hiss sound sometimes. Almost like a spit when he is regurgitating.
The regurgitating is a show of affection and he is happy. Could it just be a hiss? My sun also clicks and hisses sometimes not in an aggressive way, usually when he is happy to step up on me.

It SORTA sounds like a hiss, but sorta not. He mainly does it when he's cuddling with me. :orange:

ann

Feb 18, 2011
USA
Parrots
1 nanday conure Black Jack, 1 Brotogeris parakeet Whiff, 1 ring neck dove Eliza, and 6 society finches (3 are tame). RIP my parent pairs of societies and my little gouldian finches
i agree with the others, if it is while cuddling it is probably regurgitation. be careful because this can turn into a breeding behavior. So don't pet him down the back and don't overstimulate him and he should be fine :).

OP
SweetiePy

SweetiePy

Jun 16, 2012
Media
Indianapolis
Parrots
Pyros-Sun Conure
i agree with the others, if it is while cuddling it is probably regurgitation. be careful because this can turn into a breeding behavior. So don't pet him down the back and don't overstimulate him and he should be fine :).

Okay. :) Thank you very much!

Most Reactions

Latest posts