Media
Albums
Cape Town, South Africa
Parrots
Berry (♀ Cockatiel) hatched June 2017
Opal (♂ Budgie) hatched 13 August 2017
Pearl (♀ Budgie) hatched 15 August 2017
+ an aviary of 16 other budgies! all hatched 2014-2017
Berry, my cockatiel, has a habit of wanting to go behind the tv. It is in a bookshelf, in a small tv sized space. Whenever she managed to get behind it, she would start screaming because she couldn't get out, and I'd have to get up to rescue her. Yet, she would always try go back there whenever I was watching something or playing a video game. She did this multiple times, until I got fed up and blocked all around the tv with blankets and pillows. To this day, she STILL tries to go back there. I still don't know why. There is nothing interesting there. Lol. I guess I'll have to come up with a more permanent solution.

Sunnyclover

Jan 11, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Sun Conure - Ollie- Hatched 08/18/16*

Nanday Conure -Finley- Hatched 10/07/17*

Turquoise Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure -Paris- Hatched 03/03/18*

Black Capped Conure -North- Hatched 10/10/18
My new baby, Paris, likes to squeal like piggy when she doesn't like something I'm doing. Lol. It's super funny and cute. Idk if other GCC don't his but it's my first one so I wasn't sure if it's common.

bigfellasdad

Sep 21, 2017
Media
NorthWest England
Parrots
Enzo - adopted Female CAG circa 2004. A truly amazing young lady!
And enzo drinking water... yes very odd but awesome

[ame="https://youtu.be/4bE21gP3kos"]Posh African grey prefers to drink from her cup - YouTube[/ame]

April

Apr 17, 2018
Philly
Parrots
Female eclectus April,male eclectus Buddha(hulk)
O my goodness a tiny cup lol what riot all of these are! My girls just a food plow

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Mine tries to preen people's eyes somewhat obsessively (which is mildly terrifying for the unacquainted).

I have NO IDEA why, but she has done this since I got her (once she stopped hating me, that is... lol)

She also indicates that she is ready for bed by grabbing a red or green pellet from her dish (always these 2 colors and never any other) and then bobbing up and down on the right-hand side of her cage.

Finally, she rants about a town called Edwardsville (not a town where she has ever lived of visited)...Just picked up the word after hearing it ONE TIME and now she repeats it when the mood strikes her (mixed into a jumble of word soup).

ChristaNL

Banned
Banned
May 23, 2018
NL= the Netherlands, Europe
Parrots
Sunny a female B&G macaw;
Japie (m) & Appie (f), both are congo african grey;
All are rescues- had to leave their previous homes for 'reasons', are still in contact with them :)
Enzo drinking tea.

Sunny does the same thing - except I don't let her grab the rim of the cup anymore because that always triggers her to regurgitate the stuf she just drank.

I loved the "I want my drink of water from a small cup-thank you" :)

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
One day I walked in on Lincoln and his leg was stuck between two of his tail feathers somehow.

another time I caught him hanging upside down by one leg and using the other leg to hold a tail feather that he was preening

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Bella has been doing something odd in the shower lately.
She hangs on to the window sill with one foot and stretches out her other foot to try to stand on the border between wall and the plastic molding of the shower wall.

She has already slipped and fallen once, not to the floor she did make a soft landing. She thinks she can stand on that tiny ledge but there is just no way that's going to work.:p
Bellas balancing ackt.jpg

I wish I could mount a perch there but the surface is not smooth and suction cups wont stick.

TiredOldMan

Apr 24, 2018
Media
South Central Texas
Parrots
CAG Hen-Gracie age unknown, U2 Rooster-Anakin 13YO
Bella has been doing something odd in the shower lately.
She hangs on to the window sill with one foot and stretches out her other foot to try to stand on the border between wall and the plastic molding of the shower wall.

She has already slipped and fallen once, not to the floor she did make a soft landing. She thinks she can stand on that tiny ledge but there is just no way that's going to work.:p
View attachment 21098

I wish I could mount a perch there but the surface is not smooth and suction cups wont stick.

Honestly I don't trust suction cups anyway.

The shower perches I build have an adjustable lanyard attached that I hook to either the shower head or Command brand hooks I have put around the shower.:)

Sandy19

Mar 22, 2017
Before Peanut does something bad she says no or unh-uh totally giving herself away.

She likes to hide under the patio furniture and say "no" right before she runs as fast as her little legs can take her to attack my bare feet. She doesn't bite them too hard, but hard enough to be uncomfortable. It's a very annoying little game she plays.

bigfellasdad

Sep 21, 2017
Media
NorthWest England
Parrots
Before Peanut does something bad she says no or unh-uh totally giving herself away.

She likes to hide under the patio furniture and say "no" right before she runs as fast as her little legs can take her to attack my bare feet. She doesn't bite them too hard, but hard enough to be uncomfortable. It's a very annoying little game she plays.

Enzo does this too lol, this is just her way of saying, Dad, you are ignoring me and i want attention.

Caitnah

Mar 24, 2018
Upstate New York
Parrots
GCC Pineapple
My adopted 25 year old CAG has been doing and saying more and more things as his comfort level rises. Since I have only had him for 6 weeks, his vocabulary is from his previous owner.

His latest...
He starts whistling all kinds of loud sounds and then tells himself to "knock it off"!
He makes more sounds and keeps telling himself to "knock it off"! And the vicious cycle repeats itself.

:34::(:11:

bigfellasdad

Sep 21, 2017
Media
NorthWest England
Parrots
My adopted 25 year old CAG has been doing and saying more and more things as his comfort level rises. Since I have only had him for 6 weeks, his vocabulary is from his previous owner.

His latest...
He starts whistling all kinds of loud sounds and then tells himself to "knock it off"!
He makes more sounds and keeps telling himself to "knock it off"! And the vicious cycle repeats itself.

:34::(:11:

Hilarious :) Enzo was adopted too, and a lot of her vocabulary is from her prior life. He will definitely learn more words or even start saying his existing vocabulary in voices in his new home with you. You will likely find his vocabulary is a lot larger than you first realise as CAGs seem to say things in different stages, getting bored of some words and reintroduce other words/phrases from his back catalogue. 'know it off!', hilarious.

ChristaNL

Banned
Banned
May 23, 2018
NL= the Netherlands, Europe
Parrots
Sunny a female B&G macaw;
Japie (m) & Appie (f), both are congo african grey;
All are rescues- had to leave their previous homes for 'reasons', are still in contact with them :)
I have a stalker! :eek:

Japie is having a lot of fun (still) discovering his wings and all the places he can get to - it is a slow but steady process and sometimes, wel...

Right now he is fascinated with the toilet flushing.
(I will not say "obsessed" but its getting there.:rolleyes:)
And of course he knows when that will happen...

So I haven't any privacy left - unless I can beat the bird (and close the door in time - but then I risk squashing him while in hot persuit, so ...no....)

Today he is even flying on the (closed) lid (all by himself) and making encouraging sounds.

So now I have to lift a parrot, lift the lid etc.etc.
whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy?! :D

(He was already my "pleeboy" < a bad joke merging playboy and the word 'plee'= 'the john' in dutch /and it sounds the same > because he loves sitting on the open toilet door & looking out the window.)

bigfellasdad

Sep 21, 2017
Media
NorthWest England
Parrots
I wonder if toilets/bathrooms are a CAG thing, Enzo loves to be with me whilst I shower (but doesnt get wet herself, just steamed). If she goes missing she is often in one of the bathrooms. Maybe the hardness of the rooms sounds better acoustically to the parrots? dont know.

TiredOldMan

Apr 24, 2018
Media
South Central Texas
Parrots
CAG Hen-Gracie age unknown, U2 Rooster-Anakin 13YO
I wonder if toilets/bathrooms are a CAG thing, Enzo loves to be with me whilst I shower (but doesnt get wet herself, just steamed). If she goes missing she is often in one of the bathrooms. Maybe the hardness of the rooms sounds better acoustically to the parrots? dont know.

Wow I thought it was just my Gracie that was obsessed with the bathroom. I have to keep the door closed or she is always exploring in there. She also loves to be there when I shower but doesn't want to get wet. I assumed it was the higher humidity that she liked but I have recently added a humidifier and maintain between 55 and 60%.

Thanks to both of you for making me and mine not seem as unusual or weird.:D

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
When Bella goes for her red butt shower she does not get wet, she just like to be there.
Maybe different things to look at. or a different window to look out.

Or it could be because of the different acoustical properties in the room.
If she is out of her cage and I need to USE the bathroom I always tell her "I have to go poopie" (even if it's #1 and not #2) She understands the word poopy so she knows she is not missing out on a shower.
This usually keeps her from following me into the bathroom when using to toilet.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Ta-dah my GCC has an intense fascination of water bottles. She likes all bottles, but water bottles woo wee they are cool!
laurasea-albums-neptune-blue-picture20341-img-20180812-165536264-ll-2.jpg

Most Reactions