Opinions on this cage

marcomm

Jul 18, 2016
I think it´s fine, the size is the minimum required for a grey a bit tight but if he is going to be out of the cage in the day I would say is enough.

Blancaej

Apr 5, 2013
Middlebury, VT
Parrots
CAG Quincy - BD 3/27/00. Gotcha 6/00 ~ GW Macaw Savannah - BD 6/21/93. Gotcha 4/13 ~ B&G Macaw Coqui - BD 9/3/03. Gotcha 10/13 ~ Blue Crown Conure Sidney - BD Unknown Approx 5 Years Old. Gotcha 6/15/
Looks good! :)

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
If you can go larger, I would recommend it! But I agree, it's a good first cage! If you end up with a clumsy baby, you may need to either pad the bottom, or raise it, until your baby gets the whole wings and feet thing figured out! ;)

I hope the breeder doesn't clip the wings!

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
Nice cage... I have an idea your new baby will be spending a lot of time outside it. :)

DRB

Jan 23, 2016
Ohio
Parrots
Perjo - Female CAG hatch Nov 2015
I'm of the belief always get as big a cage as you can make room for, you can never have too big a cage for your FID, but you can have too small of one.

I knew they are expensive but IMO well worth the cost.

jdlehman76

Apr 20, 2016
Lexington, OH
Parrots
Bella - Congo African Grey
Unless there is a reason babies should have a smaller cage I would encourage you to try to find a larger cage. If cost is an issue consider looking at used cages on Craigslist or eBay to save some money instead of buying new, and then clean it before using.

OP
Q

Qtpyinnj

May 15, 2016
Texas, by way of New Jersey
Parrots
Shades: African Grey Congo Male, hatched June 20, 2016
Thank you all for your input. I plan to get a bigger cage next year after we purchase a home. We are renting now, and anything bigger than this size would be too big for the available space.

I have checked Craigslist with no luck.

I don't plan to clip the wings, but I will keep a blanket on the bottom of the cage until the baby has overcome his/her clumsiness.

Does anyone use a hut for their birds to sleep in?

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Many breeders automatically clip before sending the babies home, so you may want to double check with the breeder on that!!!!

Huts might be ok for babies and young birds, but can cause hormonal and aggression in adults. Some huts aren't bird safe, either...

Most Reactions