please help im so worried

MooshieBird

Dec 12, 2017
Media
Gulf Coast
Parrots
Mushka CAG 5 years old
i cant get him to drink water

Has his behavior changed for the worse? When did he drink last? Look at his eyes. Do they look sunken in? The skin around his face, is it more wrinkly than usual? If he will allow stretch the skin on his face with a scritch, does ht spring back? If it creeps slowly back he could be dehydrated. When did he go poop last? A dehydrated bird will have trouble using the bathroom.

If those symptoms are present he could be dehydrated. If you are concerned you can try giving him "juicy" fruits or veggies, that will help. If he is still talking, he most likely isn't dehydrated. Dehydration quickly drains their energy and they won't do much of anything.

Make sure he has access to fresh water and keep an eye on him. It will take time for him to feel better so keep calm and keep following the Vet's directions.

OP
G

godsdrummer209

Jan 12, 2016
well my brother gave him water... he has water in his cage but isnt willing to drink it himself.

Billdore

Nov 12, 2016
Vermont
Parrots
African Grey Timneh
Remember stay positive for him. Have tried giving him any grapes Timneh loves them and they have a lot of juice. I’ve read before people putting a little apple juice in the water intice drinking. Good luck. Timnehs and my thoughts and prayers are with you guys.

Laylatoo

Feb 27, 2017
Northern California
Parrots
Layla- F Galah 02/14
Jazzi- F Galah 3/24/17
Mali-F Meyers/Senegal 5/5/17
Pyper- F CAG 11-1-2017
My girl had started frantically pulling out pin feathers and feathers under her wings. She lost her appetite quit talking and wanted to sleep more. I took her to two veterinary clinics. Lots of testing done and the only thing they could find was a very small amount of yeast in her poop also. Started with two rounds of flucanozole which only made her mildly better. Started lamisil instead and it worked much better. Appetite came back, she was playful, and stopped going after her feathers. She was good for about a month and then started on her under wing feathers again so she is back on lamisil and already improved after 5 days. Be careful with extra sugars in the diet. It can add to the yeast problem. Have you tried a lixit bottle for water? My birds always immediately drink when I put it in front of them. Also, my vet recommended a bit of lemon juice in the water to change the ph and combat the yeast.

OP
G

godsdrummer209

Jan 12, 2016
My girl had started frantically pulling out pin feathers and feathers under her wings. She lost her appetite quit talking and wanted to sleep more. I took her to two veterinary clinics. Lots of testing done and the only thing they could find was a very small amount of yeast in her poop also. Started with two rounds of flucanozole which only made her mildly better. Started lamisil instead and it worked much better. Appetite came back, she was playful, and stopped going after her feathers. She was good for about a month and then started on her under wing feathers again so she is back on lamisil and already improved after 5 days. Be careful with extra sugars in the diet. It can add to the yeast problem. Have you tried a lixit bottle for water? My birds always immediately drink when I put it in front of them. Also, my vet recommended a bit of lemon juice in the water to change the ph and combat the yeast.

hey glad your bird is doing better!!!! sounds very similar to Leo ... i will have to talk to the vet if it doesnt improve in a few days and let her know and see what she thinks.... hes still just hanging out on his swing not talking mom fed him oatmeal with his medicine and only ate half of his dose ... very very smart birds

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Can you please confirm whether Leo's vet is a "certified avian vet?"

Given the symptoms, it is critical he is treated by a vet with specialized education and dedicated equipment/medicines.

It is always your choice of vet care, I am simply trying to ensure you are aware of the types of vets available. With parrots, the distinction is very important!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

OP
G

godsdrummer209

Jan 12, 2016
yeah scott i drove 2.5 hours total 5 hours just for her to see leo....

i actually just saw leo down messing with his food didnt eat much but we are improving guys

keep*up the good vibes and prayers

whats the easiest way to adminester his medications he is a very smart and stubborn birdie hahaha

Laylatoo

Feb 27, 2017
Northern California
Parrots
Layla- F Galah 02/14
Jazzi- F Galah 3/24/17
Mali-F Meyers/Senegal 5/5/17
Pyper- F CAG 11-1-2017
When Layla was ill I actually syringe fed her for a couple days and it seemed to kind of restart her appetite. She loved it too. Just a thought if you felt comfortable trying it.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots

It can be very difficult to give meds to birds. The liquids generally taste horrible and are not a familiar substance. In many cases, meds can be disguised in acceptable foods such as applesauce or cooked cereal, such as oatmeal. Need to use the smallest amount of "filler" to ensure the entire dose is received. Please check with your vet first, but mine generally allows this practice with most treatments.

FlyBirdiesFly

Jul 30, 2017
Media
For me, it’s easy to hold and restrain the bird in one hand and squirt the liquid in their beak with the other. However, this only works because my birds are small.

OP
G

godsdrummer209

Jan 12, 2016
we are still taking meds with oatmeal and are slowly improving quick update for yall thanks for all the support and going through this with me

Most Reactions