OP
cassiepengo

cassiepengo

Nov 12, 2013
india
Parrots
my darling lovebird
Re: Urgent please help!!!

hes 4 months old, on his first molt. i dint change his diet-hes been eating it from the past 3 months. do you know what could be wrong? :(
there is absolutely no vet for birds. you only get dog and cat vets, and as you can see, i think the vet we went to gave us something that isn't working, and making him worse

OP
cassiepengo

cassiepengo

Nov 12, 2013
india
Parrots
my darling lovebird

thanks i'll check it out

OP
cassiepengo

cassiepengo

Nov 12, 2013
india
Parrots
my darling lovebird

ya okay ive been checking.... looks like something called sour crop.
is it bad?

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries

if it is sour crop it can kill him. it's a bacterial yeast infection.

please try this....add about 5 drops of vinegar into his drinking water.
take a dropper draw up the water/vinegar solution, and dribble it into the side of his beak.
only give him what he wants.

do this every 2 hours or so.

gosh, I hope it's not too late to get him better, I suppose you don't have any electrolyte solution near you do you?

OP
cassiepengo

cassiepengo

Nov 12, 2013
india
Parrots
my darling lovebird

no.... whats that???
ive been giving him ginger water, some spinach, an antibiotic, and some other medicine. i suppose that is quite a lot already.
i heard vinegar is bad for birds?
how would putting it on his beak help? is it like he'll lick it off there, or its for the smell or something? ive never really heard of this- will it help him?

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries

of course vinegar in large doses is bad for birds...I'm talking 5 drops into his drinking water.
you said he is very weak, so I am assuming he is not eating nor drinking.

if he's not drinking he will become dehydrated and pass away.
when birds are ill, they shut down...they will not eat nor drink....all they do is sleep to conserve any remaining energy.

pick him up gently, turn him on his side, and slowly drop in the vinegar/water mixture onto the side of his beak, it will dribble in and he will swallow it.

vinegar has many healing properties, it will NOT harm him, and will help kill the bacteria.

OP
cassiepengo

cassiepengo

Nov 12, 2013
india
Parrots
my darling lovebird

okay lemme try this out... thanks!
he is eating very little, but hasnt stopped. im quite alarmed about that part. well i make him drink water because ive put some medicine in it...
hes been acting like this for almost 4 days now... is it advanced already?

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots

I'm afraid so, but since he is still eating that is encouraging.

if a bird stops eating and drinking, their organs start to shut down, it doesn't sound like he's at that stage yet.

OP
cassiepengo

cassiepengo

Nov 12, 2013
india
Parrots
my darling lovebird

no not yet :( its breaking my heart to see him like that

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
1 green cheek conure (Kumar)
2 male budgies (Charlie and Diego)

Sorry to hear about Bamboo. Crimson gave you some good advice about the vinegar water. Make sure he's kept warm and quiet. He needs rest whatever is wrong with him. Allow him to sleep as much as he wants, with eating breaks in between. Hope he recovers.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'

Just asking, but was he vomiting BEFORE he began the medication?

OP
cassiepengo

cassiepengo

Nov 12, 2013
india
Parrots
my darling lovebird

no. i gave him the second dose today morning, and he vomited 4-5 times in the afternoon. he has stopped vomiting now, but his poop is SOOOOO watery

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'

I wonder if he's having a reaction to the medication then. Antibiotics will cause runny poop (that's expected), and can probably also cause an upset tummy, especially in such a little guy. What were his original symptoms? Were they GI-involved, or did that only start after the medication was given? If I were you, I would call the vet who prescribed them ASAP and ask what they make of the worsening symptoms and how they suggest to proceed.

And if he will accept food, plain yogurt (just a very very tiny bit for such a small bird) can help ease upset stomachs. It has probiotics that replace the good bacteria naturally found in the gut that have now been killed by the antibiotics.

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots

rule of thumb is kill the infection first, then introduce the good bacteria.

OP
cassiepengo

cassiepengo

Nov 12, 2013
india
Parrots
my darling lovebird

HeyHey

Dec 9, 2013

Ask your vet to take a fecal sample that they can examine under the microscope?

HeyHey

Dec 9, 2013

This is from Birds with crop problems - (crop stasis, crop infection, "sour crop") - Talk Budgies Forums

How is the crop problem diagnosed?
A sample is taken from the crop and examined under the microscope to look for fungi or other parasites. Special staining of the crop sample is also necessary to determine the presence of harmful bacteria. In some cases, a culture and sensitivity laboratory test may also need to be performed to determine exactly which type of bacteria is present and the drug/s to which it is sensitive.
Blood tests or xrays may also be needed to detect the underlying cause eg heavy metal poisoning, kidney disease.

Most Reactions