Please Help

FLgirl

Jun 28, 2011
Florida
Parrots
B&G Macaw
I recently bought a 16 year old Blue and Gold Macaw from Craiglist, I bought him with cage and accessories for $600. I am his Third Owner. His first owner gave him to the guy who was sitting him sometimes due to her getting married and having kids. Well, my hubsand went to look at him and said that he was beautiful and that he held him and he was getting him for me. Well when we went to get this bird he let me hold him and all with really no problems. Then after a few days and watching him it doesn't like my 7 month old or me. I can walk down the hallway with my son and he starts yelling. He is not used to small kids but he really doesn't have a probably with my 3 or 5 year old but it yells with my 7 month old. He has even went to me when I was holding him and bite me bad. I guess he doesn't like women. I really don't know what to do. He lets my husband hold him and all but now he won't let me have anything to do with him. I am the one who is with him all day and the one who feeds him why doesn't he like me. I really wanted a macaw. My husband is not home enough to be with the bird so what do I do. He yells when I take my son into the living room where his cage is. Should I try to find him a home with a male who is experienced with parrots and try to get a younger bird.

stephend

Jun 7, 2011
Denver
Parrots
Acorn - a Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure;
Bob - a Cockatiel;
Cricket - an American Budgie
Based off what I have read, not experienced, I would recomend that you feed it and give it treats. If it is safe I would also recomend that you have your baby with you or close by when you do so.

Lokums

Jun 25, 2011
Colorado Springs, CO
Parrots
B&G, Senegal
Training a new parrot, or an aggressive one, is a long process. There are books, websites, forums all dedicated to that. I would suggest googling "parrot aggression training" or the like and see what you get. Ultimately it comes down to using treats to reward positive behavior, and avoiding the bad by watching body language.

The downside to this kind of training... it takes time, and you need to do it every single day, or at least 5-6 days a week. It isn't easy either, sometimes no matter how hard you try, you can't avoid the negative behavior. Your only recourse is to ignore it and move on. Ultimately though, with patience and enough treats, they can become handleable and trustworthy. You can't force them to like you, but you can get them to not hate you.

suebee

Jan 13, 2011
from my experiance with nut, i will not say your bird does not like you, its jealous of the attentions your baby gets

example when the bird see's you, you are holding your baby

i personally would not leave this bird out when the baby is about, to be safe

but i would start with putting the baby down across room when its having a mid day sleep etc an sittin by the cage an talking an giving treats to your bird during the day (this may take time) and needs to be kept up, and at night when the baby is safely in bed, let the bird out an spend some more time interacting with it

with a bit of time an effort, your bird will get the idea of routine and as the baby grows and becomes more independant of you (like your older children) he will be more settled and back to the loving bird you 1st saw

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
11 month old Senegal Parrot - 3 year old SI Eclectus
I think Sue hit the nail on the head. If you have to re-home him, I'll take him, I'm retired with NO KIDS in the house hahahahahaha!

OP
FLgirl

FLgirl

Jun 28, 2011
Florida
Parrots
B&G Macaw
I know that I am not experienced (that is why I am looking on internet, reading books, and on here) with this kind of bird but I have had birds before. I thought he might be jealous of the baby but I really don't know. I also think that he hasn't been here but a week. It is bad when he yells and then the baby starts to cry because he is so loud. He trys to get me when I walk by after he yells and I have put the baby back down in his room. I have always wanted a Blue and Gold Macaw and was so excited to get him. I am trying to talk to him without touching I have been giving him treats either giving them to him or putting in his extra bowl. He acts like he wants me to get him at times but I just want to take it slow with him now that he has bite me especially when he wanted to come to me and then bite the heck out of me. I guess I should have gotten a baby and started from scratch so I knew what the bird has been through. The previous owner said that he wasn't getting the attention he needed because he was away at work everyday and they were fixing to sell the house and move into a condo so he wouldn't have the room he does right now. I just don't know what to do. I really like him but the bird was supposed to for me since I am the one at home all day and night. I just don't know if he ends like letting me do anything with him if it is fair to him to not get the hands on attention until my husband is home to give it to him.

Last edited:

suebee

Jan 13, 2011
as you have a young family and a baby so your time in the day i imagine is pretty much tied up

but i do feel once you get into routine, the bird will behave better, i am with nut most of the day, but she still will rather be with my man lol but with patience and a lot of treats etc and i am her main carer/feeder, she will tolerate me lol though she is happy with me for now :)

but even if you got a baby bird, there is nothing to say it will not react the same as this one or worse

just carry on for now doin as much as he will let you do, but at the same time remembering your safety! and your bird will learn to accept your company till your husband gets home, like nut does...... keep us up dated

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
I know that I am not experienced (that is why I am looking on internet, reading books, and on here) with this kind of bird but I have had birds before. I thought he might be jealous of the baby but I really don't know. I also think that he hasn't been here but a week. It is bad when he yells and then the baby starts to cry because he is so loud. He trys to get me when I walk by after he yells and I have put the baby back down in his room. I have always wanted a Blue and Gold Macaw and was so excited to get him. I am trying to talk to him without touching I have been giving him treats either giving them to him or putting in his extra bowl. He acts like he wants me to get him at times but I just want to take it slow with him now that he has bite me especially when he wanted to come to me and then bite the heck out of me. I guess I should have gotten a baby and started from scratch so I knew what the bird has been through. The previous owner said that he wasn't getting the attention he needed because he was away at work everyday and they were fixing to sell the house and move into a condo so he wouldn't have the room he does right now. I just don't know what to do. I really like him but the bird was supposed to for me since I am the one at home all day and night. I just don't know if he ends like letting me do anything with him if it is fair to him to not get the hands on attention until my husband is home to give it to him.

Well, for one thing, YOU HAVE AN INFANT CHILD! ALL MACAWS ARE LOUD at some portion of the day. This can be usually in the mornings and the evenings and any portion of the day. I would never have even for a second considered getting any kind of a bird especially one the size of a macaw when I had young children in the house and especially an infant.

Even if you had gotten a baby or small young macaw, they can still be loud especially at feeding time. I have been around a few when it was time for their meal and they can still raise the roof even at only a few weeks old. So with 3 kids and one being an infant, when were you going to spend uninterrupted time with this bird and build some sort of bond with it? Yes, if you bring in a bird the size of a macaw into a family invironment, you should have went with a hand fed baby and let it grow with your family.

I was feeling sorry for you, but not anymore. I'm feeling sorry for this poor bird who is about to be re-homed for the FOURTH time or becoming cage bound and considerably more aggressive due to your lack of experience and lack of uninterrupted time to truely spend with this bird. But the rescue shelters are full of those "I WANT WHAT I WANT" birds rather than looking past the tip of their nose and what is best for the bird and their family as a whole.

OP
FLgirl

FLgirl

Jun 28, 2011
Florida
Parrots
B&G Macaw
That was a little rude. You don't know me and you are being rude to me. I never said for sure that I was going to rehome this bird. I don't leave this bird in a cage I have moved him into another room so he can see me as I walk around and I go in there ever chance I get to talk to him and give him some treats. I left for a little while to go to the store to spend over Fifty dolllars on fruits and veggies he might like to make sure he gets a variety of fruits and vegetables. I didn't realize I was such a bad person. I am trying my best to get him used to me and my family. I am not just going to give up on the bird and throw it away that is not fair to him, I am going to give it my all and hope he gets used to me. I know birds are loud, this is not my first bird I have ever had or been around. My son only crys when he is not ready for it. When Lewis rings his bell, my little boy thinks it funny and smiles. You already put me into a catergory that you put people that just want something and if it doesn't do what you want then lets get rid of it. That is not me or I wouldn't have as many kids as I do. Right now he is singing to the radio and talking. I was just in there with him, giving him treats to try and find what is his favorite. The guy I got him from said cheese but he doesn't really eat it for me but he loves when I give him grapes. I didn't get on this website to get the rude treatment I got on here to get some advice to make good decisions for my bird, not to get judged.

Last edited:

suebee

Jan 13, 2011
flgirl we are all passionate about our birds and all birds on here, please do not feel offended or that you have done anything wrong, you did right by asking for advice, and i would hate for you to feel you could not continue to ask for further advice when needed,

and i only know too well how a badly behaved bird can put a huge strain on family life, especially one that can cause as much damage to your hands as a dog can, but rest assured all those that have put in the time an effort, it has paid off for them. like with me a nut!

but you've only had him for a wk an i think other then being a tad jealous of the baby, its just settling and wanting reasurance to its place in your flock, please like i've said before keep us up dated

JJones1719

Mar 9, 2011
Media
MD
Parrots
7 Year old SI Eclectus named Guapo, I have a 6 year old GW Macaw named Neleno
Flgirl, I am happy to see that you are looking out for the best interest of the B&G Macaw. What is their name? It's true that some Macaws become a one person bird or only like Men over women. Your B&G is only seven years old, this is still very young for a Macaw who can live up to 50 plus years. This will take some time to bond with your Macaw. Macaws are not like dogs or cats, your really have to earn their trust, bonding.
I would advise you to work with your Macaw one on one when you have the time throughout your day, Work 5-15 min only with your Macaw approx 4-5 times per day. Try to work with them, when your children are taking a nap or watching t.v from another room. I would advise you, if you can hold him, lay down a blanket on the floor, place your macaw on the floor with you. Get toys out to interact with them and treats. Be excited and use plenty of silly faces, Macaws love that. I would even advise you to eat with your Macaws as Macaws eat together in the wild and you are not his flock.
It's never okay to allow a Macaw to bite. Like children who do something wrong, time outs are to be used for no more then 5 min at a time, Macaws will have forgotten what they did wrong after 5 min or so. Make sure they learn the command (NO) and use it in a stern voice with mad face. Macaws are very good at learning body language. If time outs are needed, the Macaw is placed back in their cage.
Whenever the Macaw does something that is good, reward, reward, reward. Food is your best teacher, Macaws will do just about anything for an almond so use them to your advantage.
As time goes by, your Macaw will learn to grow close to you and not see you or your family as a threat but more as their flock and will do everything they can to be with your Family. Macaws are very social and thrive on your attn.
I eat, play, shower, take car trips with both my boys and try to include them on whatever I am doing, do the same with your B&G and he will come around. best of luck, please post pictures and ask plenty of questions, we are all here for you. Hang in there. Joe

Last edited:

cd4565

Jun 20, 2009
New York
Parrots
"Bell" tiel-"JJ" African Red Belly-"Jackson" Mealy Zon-"Huey" GWM
That was a rude response and uncalled for. This woman was pouring her heart out to get answers and got a nasty reply. I thought that is what this forum is all about to try to help people by educating them and answering their questions no matter what their skill levels are. We are all people and all deserve the same respect this type of behavior turns me off and has others I have noticed in previous threads. I personally do not post often because of this i just read and try to find the answers i am looking for. I dont expect anything less than to be attacked for my post but so be that is how i see it here in this forum. There are a few here that really do try to help without bashing a person for maybe not making the right choices. But hey havent we all made the wrong decision at one point in our lives? Isn't that how we learn? this lady may have not made the right choice but she and her husband made it. Cant we help her and not scold her for it so her, the bird, and her family can have a better go of it.

wibitywab

Jun 4, 2011
Southern California
Parrots
"Kiwi" My Hahn's Macaw and R.I.P. Buddy the GCC-2009 - 2011

Well, for one thing, YOU HAVE AN INFANT CHILD! ALL MACAWS ARE LOUD at some portion of the day. This can be usually in the mornings and the evenings and any portion of the day. I would never have even for a second considered getting any kind of a bird especially one the size of a macaw when I had young children in the house and especially an infant.

Even if you had gotten a baby or small young macaw, they can still be loud especially at feeding time. I have been around a few when it was time for their meal and they can still raise the roof even at only a few weeks old. So with 3 kids and one being an infant, when were you going to spend uninterrupted time with this bird and build some sort of bond with it? Yes, if you bring in a bird the size of a macaw into a family invironment, you should have went with a hand fed baby and let it grow with your family.

I was feeling sorry for you, but not anymore. I'm feeling sorry for this poor bird who is about to be re-homed for the FOURTH time or becoming cage bound and considerably more aggressive due to your lack of experience and lack of uninterrupted time to truely spend with this bird. But the rescue shelters are full of those "I WANT WHAT I WANT" birds rather than looking past the tip of their nose and what is best for the bird and their family as a whole.

Calm down a bit Mike, I definitely hear where you are coming from, but atleast it wasn't like the kid who wanted the B&G Macaw or Military, this person is obviously doing their reading, and TRYING to help this bird...It may not be working out now, but in the future it seems like everything will come together. I wish they would of started with a smaller bird, but at the same time I wish them the best of luck on their new big birdie!

AmazonServant

Jun 24, 2011
If it's only the first week with a re-homed bird, I'd imagine that it's completely normal to be having problems. I don't see how making accusations against this person will really help - I mean, I can only imagine that it must be very stressful caring for a baby and a screaming macaw, and it's great that this person is asking for help instead of just giving up and sending the bird off to yet another home. Best of luck with your bird! He may yet turn out to be the lovely blue and gold you've always wanted, just give him time to settle in and be as patient as you can be with him.

OP
FLgirl

FLgirl

Jun 28, 2011
Florida
Parrots
B&G Macaw
I appreciate all the kind replies that have been given. I have really been upset this afternoon with what was said. I LOVE All animals. I have alot of different animals at my home. Yes I probably could have started off a little smaller but I thought it was a great opportunity and I took it. I have had other birds like cockatiels, quacker parrots, parakeets (which I still have 4 of them) and conures. My mother always wanted a B&G Macaw when she was alive and I did to, so when I found this bird I went for it. Since moving him out of the Living Room into another room so he can still see me walk by and still hear me talk to him (Lewis). My Macaw's name is Lewis, he is a beautiful bird and I really want him to work out. I will keep you guys updated on him. Which today he has been really social with me. I have been in and out of his room all day giving him treats and just singing to him(which he probably could live with out that) and talking to him. He is even picking up his foot for me to take him. I went again when going to Lowes stopped and got him more stuff. I hope he likes all the things I am buying for him. I will have to post a picture of him for you guys to see how beautiful he is.

OP
FLgirl

FLgirl

Jun 28, 2011
Florida
Parrots
B&G Macaw
Thanks!!!! I put Lewis as my aviatar so everyone can see him.

Last edited:

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
I'm sorry if I came across harsh. It was not my intent to offend you, but rather to shock you into reality. By reading your post, I felt that you were at the brink of re-homing this bird after a week. Birds like this take weeks, months and even years to form a working bond with someone. With three children I can't see where you could find the time that it will take to devote to this bird. But that isn't my place to say.

It's quite easy to fall into the judgemental role when your retired and have nothing better to do than sit at a computer and type your views, comments and yes, criticisms. But I'm glad to see that I'm wrong and that you are committed to making it work with your macaw.

The way I have found to form a bond with my birds is to sit by their cage and read to them and sing to them. (poor birds, I can't sing a note). They eventually come over to me and step up on me if nothing else but to shut me up. If your bird is noisy, use a TIME OUT SHEET, I have one for my bird. If she gets too noisy then I place her in time out in her cage for 10-15 minutes or until she has been good and quiet. Any longer than that, she'll forget what she was put in time out for. It actually hurts me more than it does her.

You also need to take your newly aquired bird to an avian vet to have a check up done to make sure there is no problems that could be naking it noiser than usual. All birds make noise, it's just getting them to realize that there is an acceptable level and an unacceptable level. But be very mindful of your infant child around your bird, birds can be quick when they want to punish and a jealous bird is a dangerous bird.

Again, my appologies, I hope that you find a wealth of information here as I have found as well as many others.

Jubileeray

Jun 29, 2011
Media
United Kingdom
Parrots
1x Harlequin macaw
2x Greenwing macaw
1x Blue and Gold macaw
1x Jubilee macaw
I hope all works out for you macaws are such amazing birds :blue:
Just a friendly word of caution please be careful of your child's ear drums as most macaw owners end up with hearing problems,I read some where they can be heard up to eight miles away in the wild and can quite believe it :eek:

l live with 5 macaws and am probably well on the way :p but at least l can still admire there beautty :D

OP
FLgirl

FLgirl

Jun 28, 2011
Florida
Parrots
B&G Macaw
Thanks, I really hope he adjusts good. Which he is doing pretty good right now. He is talking up a storm and crowing like a rooster. I really enjoy hearing him talking. I went in the room with him to cut up some okra. He had to come to see what I was doing, he didn't want one just had to get around me and my three year old. He seems not to mind her as much. She can give him treats and he doesn't try to get her when she walks by. Will keep you guys updated.

Most Reactions