ChristaNL

Banned
Banned
May 23, 2018
NL= the Netherlands, Europe
Parrots
Sunny a female B&G macaw;
Japie (m) & Appie (f), both are congo african grey;
All are rescues- had to leave their previous homes for 'reasons', are still in contact with them :)
Not sure if birds can delay it a lot, but most mammals can stop birthing their young when it is not safe (within limits of course).
I am pretty sure she will have to release that egg sometime soon (or somebody will have to do something about it)- probably during the night when it is a bit quiet.

Aratingettar

May 29, 2018
Poland
Parrots
Sun t̶e̶r̶r̶o̶r̶i̶s̶t̶ C̶o̶n̶u̶r̶e̶ terrorist Cytrynka (F),
Peach faced lovebird Fiona (F),
Peach faced lovebird Fionek (M)
I have no idea what my fluff is thinking, but she just won't pass that egg but at the same time isn't eggboung either... she is doing fine and is entertaining the whole clinic, the nurses love her (she let's them cuddle her and carry her around on their shoulders, she even demonstrates what good of a flyer she is) so the vet is still waiting and I'm going down there for a few hours today, it might help the most if I'm there and she can spend some time with me... I just don't understand the whole thing anymore :confused: :11:
Her good mood seems optimistic to me. No wonder the staff all loves her - who wouldn't love a cuddly Conure, anyway... ?

Hopefully your visit will make Sunny miss her home, and rush with the egg ;)

OP
SunnyGirl

SunnyGirl

May 8, 2012
Jesenice, Slowenia, Europe
Parrots
sun conure - Sunny
was with her for more than an hour... you can really see that there is something wrong with her also she wouldn't let go of my shirt, cuddled herself under my chin and didn't want to move at all..

vet did another exray and thhe egg is just too big and sge would never be able to push it out at all... that means he will open her up tonight and get it out surgically... he explained everything but it just seems so surreal and I'm just so scared... she wouldn't let go of me at all, like she was hanging onto the last moments with me, oh man I hope so much that this is just my messed up brain feeding me wrong info and that everything goes ok tonight... I already cried 3 times about it...and now I need to drive back home for more than an hour...

the staff is in love, they had quite a few parrots in the last few years but have never seen one as cudly as my chicken :orange: I'm so proud of the fluff, she is a real charmer! now to charm fate into coming back home alive and well soon!!

Aratingettar

May 29, 2018
Poland
Parrots
Try to focus on positive thinking... keep sending good vibes to Sunny. She will be OK because you need her and she needs to have you.

Cry if you need to, it's the way we're "designed" to vent out strong emotions, and your emotions must be overwhelming now. But Sunny needs your positive thinking now. I will also send her some good vibes, you need to get your chicken back home ASAP, in great shape!

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
Well if she is finally showing outward signs/symptoms that it's causing her a problem, then it's time to come out. At this point, the longer they wait to get it out, the more serious it is. They have to do it while she's not in critical-condition and is still "stable" with her BP, Pulse, Breathing, etc. So they are right to do it now...If she was actually able to pass it she would have by now, especially with the Oxytocin, they usually pop them right out within 12-hours of an Oxytocin injection if they can pass it at all, so it's definitely go-time now...

Keep us posted on how she's doing and when she's out of surgery...Positive-Energy your way...

OP
SunnyGirl

SunnyGirl

May 8, 2012
Parrots
sun conure - Sunny
they were feeding her mostly seeds and sunflower seeds and I was a bit mad... luckily I brought a bit of her favourite food and some Nutriberries and had the food switched out and she happily ate that...

he promissed to call me when he's finished and all... but I keep having this weird feeling about it....

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Oh honey, I'm worrying with you. It's always scary to me to. Bit there is no doubt it has to be done to save her life. I hope things are smooth, safe, over quickly, and back home with you safe and sound. Keep us updated please. I'm hanging on every post.

OP
SunnyGirl

SunnyGirl

May 8, 2012
Parrots
sun conure - Sunny
update: my love is out of surgery and it went well... omg I'm so relieved!! now I just hope it stays that way and that te wound starts healing like it needs to and the antibiotics do their job perfectly!

the vet even sent me a short (like 7sec) video of her, she is still a bit dazed and confused, but she looks ok, is moving and all... and I'm crying again, I'm just so unbelievably happy it went well!!! :orange:

I'm also getting the ex.ray pics to take home with me, I want to have those...

ChristaNL

Banned
Banned
May 23, 2018
NL= the Netherlands, Europe
Parrots
Sunny a female B&G macaw;
Japie (m) & Appie (f), both are congo african grey;
All are rescues- had to leave their previous homes for 'reasons', are still in contact with them :)
Oh dear, still sending positive thoughts for the both of you!

I am still so proud you caught this in time and that you got her to people who do their very best to help you all.
Happy healing!

Aratingettar

May 29, 2018
Poland
Parrots
Thank you for the Great News, +1 for prompt recovery :)

OP
SunnyGirl

SunnyGirl

May 8, 2012
Parrots
sun conure - Sunny
thank you :40:

I have never been this worried in my life and I deffinitelly do not want to go through this again!!
I'm happy that the vet apparently knows what he's doing, but I really did tell him to buy better food and not just feed seeds and sunflowerseeds to any and every bird, just cause they mught be perfect for one breed it doesn't mean you can feed them to others too... yes I just told a vet how to do his job lol... he did promise to get different pellets and to get the nurses on it to get more info on different breeds of birds and their needs :)

mum admited I was right and had a really good reason for panicking like I did, this one week without my fluffbutt made a huge difference in our home...

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
The big scary part is over!!!! So happy!! Now good vibes for full recovery and back at home with you!! You did great!!! You absolutely saved her life! You got prompt care, you saved her. Now she needs to recover fast, so you can have your baby back.

OP
SunnyGirl

SunnyGirl

May 8, 2012
Parrots
sun conure - Sunny
too big and too scary... I'm so happy she survived the surgery, now all my hope and good vibes go into getting the wound to heal as needed...

I'm thinking of how to do this now... she has this fresh wound and I don't think it's good for her to climb up and down the cage as she has a tall cage, the food in the middle and her sleeping hut high up... do I put her food and water and all on the bottom of the cage or maybe in a big box or something? anyone got a better idea? :confused:

Jen5200

Mar 27, 2017
Media
Albums
Washington State
Parrots
Baby - Sun Conure;
Tango - GCC;
Bindi - Sun Conure;
Stanley - Pineapple GCC;
Screamer “Scree� - Cockatiel;
Tee - Pineapple GCC; Jimmy - Cockatiel
Whew - I’m glad she came through the surgery well! The healing up part is probably less risky than her having that giant egg inside...so sending positive healing vibes to Sunny :). My feeling would be to limit how far she needs to travel for things in her cage, but hoping that others chime in on that. I’d ask your vet too, it seems like they were pretty knowledgeable and will probably have after care instructions. So glad to hear that she’s egg-free and on the mend, and I’m glad that you were worried about it and took her to the vet!

Aratingettar

May 29, 2018
Poland
Parrots
the food in the middle and her sleeping hut high up...

!!! _PLEASE_GET_RID_OF_THAT_SLEEPING_HUT_ !!!

First get rid of it, then please please please read the topics on the cozy huts.
It is possible that THIS is what have got Sunny into trouble!
These huts not only provide the risk of blocking their digestive tract (especially for such chewers as conures), but also do stimulate nesting behaviour.
And some manufacturers of these do even write "Not for Conures" on the package! That means something!!

I got rid of it more than half a year ago, and Cytrynka is as happy as usual - one of the reason being the risk of egg-binding.....

... and send Sunny some beak-kisses and neck-scritches for her full recovery!

OP
SunnyGirl

SunnyGirl

May 8, 2012
Parrots
sun conure - Sunny
I'll read the topic... never had a problem with it for the whole 7 years, she doesn't chew on it or shread it, it's not one of those fluffy purple monster things you often see but with a non fluffy layer of fabric that you would use for pants or similar (not jeans)... I'll deffinitelly give it a thought about removing it but certaintly not the day she comes back from surgery, it would just couse unnecessary additionall stress to her as she is used to it and she doesn't need more stress now...

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
Oh my, I didn't see the "Cozy Hut" comment...GET RID OF IT NOW! It's absolutely the reason she's broody and laying eggs in the first place...And that is not the main reason you need to get rid of it...Please throw it out before she comes home, and never get another one!!! They actually say "Not intended for use with Conures" on the packaging now because so many Conures have died (as well as every other species of parrot) from either eating little bits of material over-time until they are found dead on the bottom of the cage from an obstruction, or they hang themselves from strings that suddenly let-loose...Here is a link to one of the many pages where thousands of people discuss losing their birds because of them. There is a class-action lawsuit right now against one of the main companies who makes them (there are two)...And if you keep it in there she is going to have another egg immediately, and it will kill her if it happens too soon after the surgery...Please, read this page and remove the "hut" right now and throw it away in the trash...Birds don't need a "bed" at all, they naturally sleep on branches standing. Any type of bed, hut, tent, hammock, bedding material, nesting material, towels, blankets, etc. is only going to keep her producing eggs and may kill her the next time, definitely will if it happens soon, which it will if it's started already. Conures are particularly prone to this happening for whatever reason...I certainly don't want you to lose her because of that "hut" after making it through this...Happy Hut Warning

I'm glad she's doing well, and her incision will heal quickly, they heal very quickly. Ask any and all questions to the vet about how to keep her wound clean, they should give you something to clean it with like Hibiclens once a day, maybe not if they think it's already healing nicely. Keep her cage very clean, and she'll know when she's able to do things again, if it hurts she won't do it, typically birds are very good about this...

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
And they ALL are terrible, yellow, green, purple, doesn't matter...And you need to remove it BEFORE she comes back from the surgery, it will not be "stressful" at all, it will cause her hormones to start again immediately and follicles will form again!!! It's best that it's just gone when she comes home...birds aren't like dogs or cats, they don't need a "bed" of any kind...When they see something like those huts all they think is "NEST!" and the Follicles start forming...Seriously, I wouldn't tell you to throw it out immediately, right now, if it wasn't that dangerous, why would I care what is in your bird's cage otherwise? You have no idea whether she's chewing on it or not, no one ever does...read the heartbreaking posts in that link...They bite of little bits of the material over time and it isn't digestible, so it builds up in their GI Tracts and one day you'll find her dead in the bottom of the cage, or hung by a loose thread...But in the case of your particular bird, at this point, she shouldn't ever even see it again, because it will only trigger her hormones immediately and then you're in trouble...

OP
SunnyGirl

SunnyGirl

May 8, 2012
Parrots
sun conure - Sunny
there's even a lawsuit?!?! omg I did not know about this... :confused: now I really need to go find this on the net... this is the downside of living in a small country, news travel slow or not at all :(

so... a wooden perch in the same place (cause she loves that one corner) will be ok? I already set up her cage with more perches and toys after cleaning that thing as well as I could and luckily I'm home every day till the end of the month (had to quit the job cause almost burnout... but that's another story...) so I can take care of her all day and also clean whatever needs to be cleaned and whatever needs to be taken care of...

yhgbqD5.jpg

whoops, sorry for the huge pic... so this is what I did with her sleeping corner... took the tent out and put 2 perches in like that... does it look ok for everyone? is it too near to the side of the cage? do I do something else?
and yes, she has more toys in there just most in the other part of the cage as she manages to drop everything in her food and water bowls and doesn't like it after haha

Last edited:

Jen5200

Mar 27, 2017
Media
Albums
Washington State
Parrots
Baby - Sun Conure;
Tango - GCC;
Bindi - Sun Conure;
Stanley - Pineapple GCC;
Screamer “Scree� - Cockatiel;
Tee - Pineapple GCC; Jimmy - Cockatiel
All of my conures came to me used to using cozy huts, and all sleep on perches in the same location quite happily. They do seem to prefer a particular location to sleep, so definitely make that space available with a good perch to snooze on :). I did notice that mine all displayed hormonal behavior when they had the huts, which was why I removed them (then I heard about all the dangers associated with them). Mine now seem to have hormonal behavior seasonally and not all the time - so I’m glad that I did it. I have 4 girls, so I’m determined to do anything I can to reduce the chances of triggering egg-laying.

Most Reactions

Latest posts