Problem with friends birds

Tsuki_theconure

Sep 18, 2018
Australia
Parrots
Crimson bellied Conure - Tsuki (Hatched 16th July 2018)
My friends green cheek conures have been acting odd recently, we don't know what is going on so I decided to get some opinions from you. My friends birds are Kiki (pineapple green cheek) and Midori (regular green cheek). I noticed that both of them were VERY fluffed up. Kiki has never been good with fingers but today she bit my friend extremely hard. Midori however has never bitten anyone, but today he lunged at me when I sat next to the cage to observe them. Then a minute or two after that we noticed that they were on the bottom of the cage. Kiki was under the food bowl (which is close to the bottom of the cage in the corner) and Midori was under the bath bowl, Midori had his head pressed to the bottom of the cage with his tail up in the air. He was always kind of near Kiki, when i went to touch her one time today he lunged at my finger and sat over her.

As I'm typing this, they've started moving around a bit. They're still eating and drinking, but they fluff up as soon as we come close to their cage. Are they being territorial or is something else happening?

(Note: neither of them are properly DNA tested)

Edit: When I went to observe them just now, I just sat and watched them closely while next to their cage. Midori fluffed up and slowly started walking across the perch towards me. Before he started walking over he was sitting on his food bowl while Kiki was underneath it on the bottom of the cage. When he started walking over, Kiki fluffed up and started bobbing her head kind of slow.

Last edited:

ParrotGenie

Jan 10, 2019
Indiana
Parrots
2 umbrella Cockatoos One male named Cooper and female named Baby 1 Little Corella male named Frankie and have 5 Cockatiels three named Male named Pepper, Fiesco for the female and female named Wylie.
Sound like signs of hormonal behavior? Did you notice the male making any clicking sound when he had his head down? You notice the hen may let out also an occasional call and may fluff out her feathers.

At 3 months won't expect that as usually about 1-3 years of age, some do get hormonal early, but not that early? Are you sure they are only 2 to 3 months of age, they could be older as some lie about age to sell for more, or just not sure?

Last edited:
OP
Tsuki_theconure

Tsuki_theconure

Sep 18, 2018
Australia
Parrots
I wouldn't think it is hormonal behavior, they're only 2-3 months. We also haven't had them DNA tested just yet. My friend is hoping to get them tested soon.

OP
Tsuki_theconure

Tsuki_theconure

Sep 18, 2018
Australia
Parrots
hmm.. I'm not sure. I asked my friend but she doesn't know. How can we make sure what the ages are?

ParrotGenie

Jan 10, 2019
Indiana
Parrots
2 umbrella Cockatoos One male named Cooper and female named Baby 1 Little Corella male named Frankie and have 5 Cockatiels three named Male named Pepper, Fiesco for the female and female named Wylie.
hmm.. I'm not sure. I asked my friend but she doesn't know. How can we make sure what the ages are?
On a green cheek there's no real way to determine by colors like the Sun Conure. Do they have a band on his leg? Being they are showing pretty obvious signs of hormonal mating behavior? They are likely a year, or more old and you likely have a pair? Next thing you will likely notice soon is them trying to climb each other, or finding ways to rub tails vent butt area together?

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
It does sound hormonal (butt in the air + biting etc).
Some birds will start younger than others (even within the same species; often due to triggers)--and birds do often defend/protect their mates/territory.
Do they go out much?
Have they been to a vet?
When you say "puffed up", do you mean all of the time, or just when someone interferes?
Puffed up in general can be a sign of a sick bird, as can random biting and hanging out on the cage floor, but in context, this sounds more sexual....I agree that they are young for that though....
You don't have any boxes, tents, nests or huts (cuddle huts) of any kind in their cage, do you? If you do, remove them immediately (not just because of the hormonal impact, but because snuggle/cuddle huts (the cloth kind) are linked to numerous bird deaths due to intestinal blockages, strangulation, snagged toes etc).
Also, when your friend and you handle them, I hope you stick to petting on the head only. Petting elsewhere or allowing your bird access to dark/shadowy places (like blankets, pillows, under furniture, towel tubes etc) can lead to hormonal spikes---it doesn't take much at all and only their head has to be in the dark for them to feel the effects). From your description of them going under the food-bowls, I am thinking, even more so, that is hormonal.
I am not sure when these birds actually are able to produce eggs, but make sure that you know about egg-binding and ensure adequate nutrition in order to help prevent it. Female birds may lay eggs even if a male bird isn't around, and while the eggs won't be fertile, passing the egg can cause lots of complications. I would definitely consider separating the birds, but don't assume that you are out of the woods in terms of future egg-binding issues just because you do...It is something to research ahead of time so you know what to look for.

Last edited:

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
2-3 months old is extremely young, and there's no way it's hormonal behavior if they are truly only 2-3 months old...Where did your friend get these 2 birds? Were they hand-raised/hand-fed by their breeder, or were they raised/fed by their parent birds?

Green Cheek Conures typically fully-wean between 10-12 weeks old, some up to 14 weeks...So did your friend get them as fully-weaned birds eating solid foods, or did your friend have to hand-feed them baby bird hand-feeding formula? Did they have all of their mature feathers when your friend brought them home?

I'm asking this because 2 months old is only 8-9 weeks old, and they would not be fully-weaned at that age, and 3 months old is only 12 weeks old or so, so they would have just weaned...Their behavior, while it does appear to be hormonal, could very-well be the behavior of baby birds who were not properly abundance-weaned onto solid food, and could be regressing...Were they fully-fledged when your friend got them, meaning could they fly normally?

ParrotGenie

Jan 10, 2019
Indiana
Parrots
Green Cheek Conures typically fully-wean between 10-12 weeks old, some up to 14 weeks...So did your friend get them as fully-weaned birds eating solid foods, or did your friend have to hand-feed them baby bird hand-feeding formula? Did they have all of their mature feathers when your friend brought them home?

I'm asking this because 2 months old is only 8-9 weeks old, and they would not be fully-weaned at that age, and 3 months old is only 12 weeks old or so, so they would have just weaned...Their behavior, while it does appear to be hormonal, could very-well be the behavior of baby birds who were not properly abundance-weaned onto solid food, and could be regressing...Were they fully-fledged when your friend got them, meaning could they fly normally?

Had to hand feed a few Conures and usually bob their heads when they are begging for food.

Going at the bottom of the cage with butt in air and head down is likely hormonal behavior trying to mate. Then other signs is following each other closely and becoming protective of each other and resulting in biting. They are likely over a year old and seller likely lied about age to make them more desirable it seems. Wonder if bird has a leg band?

Last edited:

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Fluffy, and wobbly birds, that are head pressing and spending time on the bottom of the cage, need to see an avain veterinarian right away in my opinion. It's a good idea to see the vet no matter what as these are new birds, that haven't seen a vet...
There could be nutritional issues like liw vitamin or calcium levels, or they could be sick. I would erve the vet visit first, then let them tell you this is hormonal.
My GCC female and male quaker attempt mating, and they never do any of these behaviors, nor did my past GCC female if 17 years.
The biting can be due to anything. But fluffed and bottom of cage is first illness until proven otherwise. Keep us updated.

Most Reactions

Latest posts