Psittacosis - Do parrot owners live in constant panic?

suncon97

Jul 31, 2011
Parrots
Pearl-African Grey-Hatched Apr. 28,2011
Did you know we can also get TB from our birds. I don't worry about it and they from us, I know that my birds are healthy. It's unlikely that we will show symptoms of psittacoses without our birds also showing symptoms. I know a Australian who had it and she and her bird were both fine.

We also need to use common side, if you go the hospital sick it's good to mention you have a bird. I havn't been truly sick in years, I havn't been sick enough to go to the hospital in around 12 years.

That's what worries me, the symptoms seem to be sooo elusive in birds. Also birds don't do us any favors by HIDING THEIR SYMPTOMS. :(

I think im going to put this cockatiel outside with a towel over the cage. My uncle just got the bird at the local swap meet about 3 days ago.

- Green watery poop
- Sneezing (No discharge)
- Puffed up

Sounds like the symptoms of every bird disease every mentioned which could include Psittacosis.

I'm sorry to bring this back up but do you have any idea what there is in malls, grocery stores, etc.? There's stuff out there that we probably don't even know about, yet we're exposed to it everyday. If everything was so easily catchable the human race wouldn't be able to thrive. I don't think your bird has Psittacosis.

OP
SDSU_Aztec

SDSU_Aztec

Mar 27, 2013
Take a Guess?
Parrots
None at the moment, I am planning to get a Cockatiel when the time is right
The pic isn't the best.. But from what I can see She looks OK.. Make sure she is eating and make sure she is pooping... If you could place a clean piece of white paper under where she poops.. When she does take a pic and post it.. Color and consistency changes with type of food and water consumption ..

Psittacosis is the least of my worries.. With all the viruses.... I would be more concerned with HEP, MRSA ,TB and leprosy is on a comeback now..

This is a great idea. I will do that with the paper.

I have had MRSA before....it was very hard to treat. I had to be on antibiotics for 2 months, antibiotic baths, bleach washed everything I owned. It was a pain but I have been MRSA free for 4 years now. :)

Sasha2

Mar 11, 2013
Midwest
Parrots
Sun conure , greencheek conure
My hubby had MRSA in his chest after open heart surgery.Almost killed him but 6yrs later he is still plodding along.He doesnt have a sternum now, they had to grind it out.It was a very trying time.
But life is dangerous.Sometimes I worry, but more about someone being allergic to the dander then germs.

OP
SDSU_Aztec

SDSU_Aztec

Mar 27, 2013
Take a Guess?
Parrots

DallyTsuka

Mar 19, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Parrots
Dallas and Tsukasa (Cockatiels)
Mango and Munchlax (Peach Faced Lovebirds)
poop looks good, less watery (still a little bit more urine than normal, but stress can do that), looks fairly normal to me.

normaltielpoop.jpg

normaldroppings.jpg

for comparison:

wateryvsdiarrhea-1.png

you can see others here:

http://s1282.photobucket.com/user/MeanneyFids/library/Photo Gallery Project?page=1

Last edited:

Greenwing

Mar 8, 2013
Parrots
GW , BG , DYH , YN, CAG
Picture isn't that great but from what I see....It look perfectly normal..... I wouldn't worry about psittacosis... She is probably a little under the weather from stress.. Keep her warm and stress free...Keep an eye on her droppings.. As long as she keeps pooping you know she is eating..

Last edited:
OP
SDSU_Aztec

SDSU_Aztec

Mar 27, 2013
Take a Guess?
Parrots
Picture isn't that great but from what I see....It look perfectly normal..... I wouldn't worry about psittacosis... She is probably a little under the weather from stress.. Keep her warm and stress free...Keep an eye on her droppings.. As long as she keeps pooping you know she is eating..

He/She is also beak grinding like a champ.....

osnyder

Sep 26, 2011
Philadelphia
Parrots
Stitch the Blue Crown Conure
Looks like a healthy bird to me, as do the droppings look basically ok. I think it's great you came here to find out what you can and do the best you can under the circumstances. Your uncle sounds like every artist I've ever known, and I know a lot of em :)

OP
SDSU_Aztec

SDSU_Aztec

Mar 27, 2013
Take a Guess?
Parrots
Bird seems to be doing fine so far... still eating, poop has not changed in color. I noticed he only stays puffy at night mostly so maybe he is just getting ready to sleep?

Everything else seems somewhat normal, or about as normal as I'd expect. He grinds his beak a lot which I read is a good thing.

Peeker

Feb 10, 2013
Parrots
Jax-Eclectus
Tina-Eclectus
Ruby-Eclectus
Sounds like all is going along well.

Karigan

Jul 3, 2011
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
Kitoko: Female Senegal Parrot, born 2002
Talia: Female CAG, born 2008
Mateo: Female CAG, born 2008
I never really worry about my flock getting ill, since I don't know anyone else with birds. I am beginning to take them outside on a harness though, so I worry they could pick something up from the crows, starlings, geese, etc... around here.

Most Reactions